What is the "ONE" method you will not do ?

SteveOUPS

Me and my helper.
After 21 years at UPS, I've have learned that it is certainly better to follow every method, rule, or "HABIT" layed out for us to abide by because in the long run doing something wrong consistantly will always come back to bite you. Having said that, I will not Beep my horn when i pull up to each delivery stop. I feel that is an invasion of privacy to the customer and is quite frankly rude. Anyone else have a method they feel is unwarranted ?

upsdude

After 21 years at UPS, I've have learned that it is certainly better to follow every method, rule, or "HABIT" layed out for us to abide by because in the long run doing something wrong consistantly will always come back to bite you. Having said that, I will not Beep my horn when i pull up to each delivery stop. I feel that is an invasion of privacy to the customer and is quite frankly rude. Anyone else have a method they feel is unwarranted ?

Have to admit, I don't follow that one either.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
i never beeped at a rsi after a guy chewed me out cuz he worked nights.thought about it and he was right.i now think it is rude !!!!!!

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
All that crazy stopping at the signs and red lights, which is clearly merely a suggested course of action and should be optional for us. :lol::lol::lol::punk: Seriously be safe and C.Y.A.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

just like trying to deliver a package to someones house at 8pm...invasion of privacy, but thats ups' style

Hangingon

Yelling out 'UPS' as you enter an office. I have a route that's about 40% business, a professional park with alot of doctors and dentists. My last ride along my sup insisted I needed to do that to bring awareness to my customers. :sheepish:

satellitedriver

No cop, no stop?
Wish I could agree with you on that one,
but I got a letter in the mail the other day.
Traffic violation, picture of my cars license plate.
Fine for running a red light at such and such intersection.
My wife was had pulled out into the intersection and was waiting for traffic to clear before she turned and the light turned red.
Big Brothers traffic camera took a pic of the rear bumper in the intersection. Now I have to pay a $75 fine, or drive a 100 mile trip and spend a day in court to plead our case.
I'll just pay the fine, but it does chap me to do so.
We don't need cop's, we got pictures.
Sounds a little like the avenue UPS is strolling down with the implementation of "new" technology.
PAX

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've never heard a UPS truck beep a horn on every stop.

I do. I want my customers to be aware of my presence. If you beep the horn and they know it's you then it gives them time to either gather up their dog or get out to get the package from you.

I DO NOT yell "UPS!"

outamyway

Yelling out 'UPS' as you enter an office. I have a route that's about 40% business, a professional park with alot of doctors and dentists. My last ride along my sup insisted I needed to do that to bring awareness to my customers. :sheepish:

Being an EAM driver, alot of receptionist aren't even there when I deliver to some stops. So if I walk into an office and I don't see anybody I will yell "Hello, it's UPS." Doing it as you enter every office is just plain stupid. Was that one of those on roads that never worked a day in his life?

brownrodster

I was not aware that beeping the horn at each stop was a method.

I do not call out "UPS" when I enter a business. I will do it if I see absolutely no one and am looking for someone. Then I might yell "UPS."
But each business I go to everyday they pretty much are ready to go and I know where everyone hides.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I always thought honking my horn was like letting everyone in the neighborhood know to look out the window to see where I dr a package. Then when I leave they can steal it and it will be all my fault. Kinda depends on the situation at each stop. I don't yell out UPS at business stops. My people know when I come in that I'm in a hurry so they usually take care of me right away so I can get going.

BigBrownSanta

Yep, honking the horn is a "method". I was told to do it on my last production ride. Didn't do it then, still don't.

It makes me thing of Pavlov's dog, you know the dog that would salivate at the sound of a bell. Anyways, I don't look at each customer as a dog, so I don't honk.

Griff

I was not aware that beeping the horn at each stop was a method.

I do not call out "UPS" when I enter a business. I will do it if I see absolutely no one and am looking for someone. Then I might yell "UPS."
But each business I go to everyday they pretty much are ready to go and I know where everyone hides.

Even if you see someone there you are supposed to yell out "UPS" per the methods. Management claims that it inspires a quicker reaction out of the customer if you call attention to yourself. It's completely asinine, but some empty suit thinks it's a key to being effecient, whatever. There are much better ways to inspire a swift reaction from customers that don't make you look like a boyscout on an epic quest.

Tony31yrs

I once had some Canadian management trainee ride with me to practice time studies. He told me I wasn't following methods because I didn't stay a foot off a dock so that I could get to the back door instead of taking extra steps around and into the building. I told him that the business shipped 40-60 lb boxes of computer paper and I wasn't going to extend my back and risk hurting it to save 20 steps. He followed the training and told my super who agreed with me. There are always exceptions to every method and you just have to think and adapt. Of course, following every method to the letter when they ride with you is the best way to be paid over when they ride with you.
I never honked unless I had a supe with me. The trucks are so loud that most people heard them and it seemed to be an "unclassy " thing to do.

outamyway

Even if you see someone there you are supposed to yell out "UPS" per the methods. Management claims that it inspires a quicker reaction out of the customer if you call attention to yourself. It's completely asinine, but some empty suit thinks it's a key to being effecient, whatever. There are much better ways to inspire a swift reaction from customers that don't make you look like a boyscout on an epic quest.

Someone missing their on call or scheduled pick up or not getting their package the day before will usually get you a swift response the following day. Even though you had nothing to do with it. That's always fun as an air driver.

paidslave

Yep, honking the horn is a "method". I was told to do it on my last production ride. Didn't do it then, still don't.

It makes me thing of Pavlov's dog, you know the dog that would salivate at the sound of a bell. Anyways, I don't look at each customer as a dog, so I don't honk.

Production ride? Thought you can't be rode with for production only saftely!

Mr Shifter

As a shifter they want us to take out our keys every time we leave the seat. This includes when we go to hook up our air hoses and liqht cord. Funny thing is if we do this at night we wont have any light to see ourselves or whateve we are doing..... I've refussed this stupid rule and ever other employee at my center :happy-very: they havent brought it up since we pointed that out.