What now, no bluetooth?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was in the dispatch office this morning, whne I overheard an On-Road supe tell a driver that he (the driver) was no longer allowed to wear a bluetooth phone. I asked the supe if he was serious, and he said yes. Now this has nothing to do with me, as I leave my phone at home, where (I believe) phones belong, but this could impact driver's worldwide.

So I'm wondering if this new rule has been heard anywhere else?

I was in the dispatch office this morning, whne I overheard an On-Road supe tell a driver that he (the driver) was no longer allowed to wear a bluetooth phone. I asked the supe if he was serious, and he said yes. Now this has nothing to do with me, as I leave my phone at home, where (I believe) phones belong, but this could impact driver's worldwide.

So I'm wondering if this new rule has been heard anywhere else?
We had a JAC decision and Bluetooth is here to stay.

over9five

Staff member
There are signs up saying we can't use Bluetooth in the building. Interferes (allegedly) with the scanny devices.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
Here in Central IL we haven't heard of such a rule. Really only one guy in our center keeps the thing in his ear all the time.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
What about non-bluetooth with the "wired" version of "hands-free". Are they saying it's a technical issue with electronic communication, a safety issue, or an image issue?

Which brings me to this rant:

UPS literally uses the drivers cell phones as a company asset (and I think this has been beaten to death, back to life, and then killed again). When a driver is broke down I call them on their cell, I use my cell. People who use their cells for company business obviously don't mind donating their personal luxuries for the benefit of UPS (myself included).

Just another example of the hypocrisy of they won't hesitate to use YOUR cell phone for THEIR needs, but then on paper handicap you by saying "THIS NOT ALLOWED".

I'm pretty simple minded, like a dog that's trained, your confusing me with SAYING 1 thing, but WANTING something else!

BTW - isn't it a MUST in states such as California to have a "hands-free device" while driving and using a cell phone?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
No bluetooth for me, I leave my phone in the back unless I want to call someone (personal use) I almost always ignore it when management calls me

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We had a JAC decision and Bluetooth is here to stay.

Is this at the local level or can you supply a source to use? I personally use my cell phone for my personal use and have a grievance on file that management agrees to stop calling it. One other thing you can use, which I have told a couple people who have gotten burned by managment, is that you can simply go to your center manager and tell him that you have been noticing (insert managers phone number here) calling your child. Explain to the center manager that you have let the sup know( of course this is the first step, in which they usually laugh it off) that you gave your phone to you child(minors really work well here) and have some concerns. That usually nips it in the bud.
Some people are just to afraid to file, this is one way that might help those types of people.

UPSGUY72

There are signs up saying we can't use Bluetooth in the building. Interferes (allegedly) with the scanny devices.

talk about interference the frequency that the telematics uses to communicate with the satellites interferes with some car alarms systems.

Last edited:

brett636

Same, bluetooth devices are banned while on property, but not off property although I'm sure the company would prefer you don't use it at all.

Just Lurking

talk about interference the frequency that the telematics uses to communicate with the satellites interferes with some car alarms systems.

Hey I have a great idea. Let's see what the FCC would say about my bluetooth equipped phone and headset that carries their approval certification NOT interfering with other bluetooth equipment. I would guess that it must be UPS equipment that was not within specifications or UPS is full of _ _ _ _.

iamupser

Grease Monkey

I've wondered how much additional radiation we are being exposed to in the building with ALL of the vehicles in the building "communicating" with the mother ship (and vice versa).

I'm just curious how much does it increase when she's fully stoked firing on all 8 cylinders (HAARP Levels, Cell phone level, Fukushima Nuclear Plant [there is a certain amount of irony in that name I would say])

DS

Fenderbender
I've wondered how much additional radiation we are being exposed to in the building with ALL of the vehicles in the building "communicating" with the mother ship (and vice versa).

I never really thought about that aspect of the job.
Maybe we're todays version of the coal miners,but instead of black lung,its brown brain disease.

brett636

I'm just curious how much does it increase when she's fully stoked firing on all 8 cylinders (HAARP Levels, Cell phone level, Fukushima Nuclear Plant [there is a certain amount of irony in that name I would say])

Almost nothing significant. Probably something similar to the RF exposure you might receive from a wireless router or cell phone.

As far as bluetooth and feeders it is very possible that cell phone use will be banned by the DOT while driving so a hands free blue tooth device will the be only legal way to use a phone in feeders.

bumped

Hey I have a great idea. Let's see what the FCC would say about my bluetooth equipped phone and headset that carries their approval certification NOT interfering with other bluetooth equipment. I would guess that it must be UPS equipment that was not within specifications or UPS is full of _ _ _ _.

I'm going with this.