What now, no bluetooth?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
According to management it does. They were on a kick for awhile to lessen the messages as they said it costs xx per text. I think that FLOM lasted maybe a week.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
read your contract folks. Says right in there that you will not have any head phones or anything of that sort in any ear. My state bans the use of head phones in more that ONE ear.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
article 18 section 8 subsection b. "Headsets and earphones shall not be allowed." Some UPSers you guys are don't know your contract but will jump someone's BUTT if you think they are a gunner.

outta hours

article 18 section 8 subsection b. "Headsets and earphones shall not be allowed." Some UPSers you guys are don't know your contract but will jump someone's BUTT if you think they are a gunner.

Headsets, earphones... Both plural meaning more than one. A device in only one ear would be singular. Such as the Blue parrot. Or an earphone or earbud. As long as BOTH ears are not being used to listen via any device, you are not violating any contractual language.

themidge

Hey I have a great idea. Let's see what the FCC would say about my bluetooth equipped phone and headset that carries their approval certification NOT interfering with other bluetooth equipment. I would guess that it must be UPS equipment that was not within specifications or UPS is full of _ _ _ _.

There sure is a lot of ignorance in this thread. Bluetooth is not a device that goes in your ear it is a wireless technology that can be used to share files and information. The scanners are paired to whatever the screen/module is called with bluetooth. Lets say you wanted to share a file between two bluetooth phones, both would have to turn their bluetooth antennas on. The phone receiving the data would have to make itself "discoverable" meaning visible to other bluetooth devices. When the phone sending the file looks for other bluetooth devices it finds the discoverable phone and "pairs" or connects to it. The two devices prompt eachother asking if the passkey on one matches the passkey on the other. Accept it on both devices and they are paired and connected. Keeping a device out of discoverable mode is one measure of security with bluetooth. Due to the nature of the scanners going out of range often they are probably permanently left in discoverable mode leaving them vulnerable to interacting with any other bluetooth device. While it is far fetched someone would take the time to figure out a way to sabotage the system, the possibility exists.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our center went through over 20 of the wireless scanners before telling preload- no more phones. center manager and on-car still stand next to wireless scanner every morning chatting on their cells. All drivers are allowed their phones on the belt.
Still going through scanners.

Until I bought my new car, which has bluetooth built in, I never left my phone in discovery mode. Had it turned off. So, how are phones with that option turned off, affecting those lovely little scanners?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Who are you guys talking to all day that you feel the need to wear a hands-free device? I can understand a feeder driver but a PC driver? If I make 5 cell phone calls a day that is a lot--there are many days when the phone stays in the cup holder untouched.

As for using the phone for company business, that is up to the individual employee. I choose to use mine as it helps me to work smarter.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There sure is a lot of ignorance in this thread. Bluetooth is not a device that goes in your ear it is a wireless technology that can be used to share files and information.

Thanks for the info, as some of us are not ignorant, just dont care about the technology. If I were a brain surgeon, or someone important, I might need this tech, I dont.
Who are you guys talking to all day that you feel the need to wear a hands-free device? I can understand a feeder driver but a PC driver? If I make 5 cell phone calls a day that is a lot--there are many days when the phone stays in the cup holder untouched.

As for using the phone for company business, that is up to the individual employee. I choose to use mine as it helps me to work smarter.

Im with you, if It does ring and I actually hear it, it scares me. I call to tell hubby I made it, and Im on the way home. Thats about it. No one calls me coz they know, 9 to 8ish Im working.

hypocrisy

Banned
read your contract folks. Says right in there that you will not have any head phones or anything of that sort in any ear. My state bans the use of head phones in more that ONE ear.

Yes read your contract. That's subsection B of Section 8, of which a,b,c,d, and e all apply only to C.B. radios in Feeder tractors.

If you read above the CB radio section, in the second paragraph it says "Applicable laws regarding the use of cell phones while driving will be followed by all employees while driving Company vehicles. The use of cell phones by other employees will be with the approval of the Employer." The intent of this language was to allow Drivers to have cell phones and allow for changes in the law regarding their use e.g. California's hands free only law.

If the Company pushes a no cell phone rule, just act collectively and refuse to use them under any circumstances. If asked to call in, find a pay phone and use 1-800-COLLECT. Imagine what that bill would look like...
Since they aren't trying anything like that with our work group, we use our cell phones liberally to help our operations (which goes along with the principles of Acting Collectively) with few exceptions. We even have our dispatchers personal phone numbers and use those when dispatch is lit up plus texting. Funny how far a little cooperation will go. Our dispatchers would be missing pickups and air pulls left and right if we had a cell phone ban.

Outta, I never touch the nasty black phones. You don't have a direct line into dispatch?

outta hours

Outta, I never touch the nasty black phones. You don't have a direct line into dispatch

I do, but they take forever to answer, if they answer at all. I wipe down the inbound/outbound phones with Clorox wipes before I use them.. We have one dispatcher that you can text your info too. That's pretty easy.

On a side note. Why do the people with the worst phone skills/ annunciation work the in & out phones? One hub I go to the lady mumbles, I mean you can't understand a word she says. Just wondering..................