What options do I have other than quitting?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You can grieve on him working if you have a witness. But a box falling on your face is a boo-boo, not an injury, unless you tore some ligament in your neck as a result of it. Reminds me of the injury report that just got read to my belt on Monday "Employee was returning to the sort aisle from a water break when he hit his knee on a chute..." A couple of chuckles, pansy sorters reporting non-injuries. "Employee was loading on the green belt when he stated he got dust in his eye." Entire belt rolling on the floor laughing. "Tell them I get little brown boogers from breathing the :censored2: in! Put that on the report!"

There's a difference between hurt and injured. Hurt is "Ouch. Don't want to do that again." Injured is "Ouch, I can no longer continue to safely perform my job." What should the FT sup have done? Rushed you to the ER to make sure all your vitals were normal?
agreed...if a bruise were considered an injury...we'd all be filing accident reports 3x a week!

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
But yet we are told by management to report every occurrence. If you don't your claim may be denied.
I'm in school for Sports Medicine. I deal with injured athletes every Saturday. I don't see any scenario where he needs to file for worker's comp based on a face bruise. And that's me assuming worst-case scenario, TS never says he even bruised.

Island

I happen to be friends with a guy who banged his knee on a metal handrail by some steps coming down from a belt. His knee has permanent damage. He wasn't running or anything, just caught the side of his knee on metal as he turned.
Now I don't have a "sports medicine" degree but what I do have is some basic knowledge of anatomy and medicine. Some things need to be reported to the company. If the company files injuries in its own internal paperwork because some guy tripped or stubbed his toe, well that's the company's problem when its insurance rates go up. I have the opposite problem in my center, they won't even let you claim an injury and if you go to a doctor after you get tired of fighting management, management will claim you're scamming them... even if the injury is obvious and visible

Johnny Paycheck

And this has what to do with what we're talking about? Should we diagnose Disgruntled with a facial fracture because of his injury? Or accept that some of us work in an occupation that requires manual labor in a facility made of concrete and steel where ouchies and boo-boos are bound to happen. And not every scraped knee or stubbed toe needs to be reported as if you just tore a meniscus.

Island

I have a feeling you work a center that runs very differently than mine and you fail to imagine any situation foreign to yours.

BrownDooDoo

The mentality of go to school bla bla is out dated.

Yes, in comparison to what is out there UPS is "one of the best"....

But a small turd that doesn't stink as bad as the biggest turds in the pile is still a turd.

And we deserve more pay for what we do and the things we put up with.

Everyone has to share.

Johnny Paycheck

I have a feeling you work a center that runs very differently than mine and you fail to imagine any situation foreign to yours.
Hub. But I would pay good money to listen to the injury report at your center if you believe "box fell and hit someone" warrants a report. That's gotta be a comedy gold mine of "employee bruised knuckle while braking a jam" and "employee reports dust in his snot when he blows his nose."

Integrity

Binge Poster
disgruntledUPSemployee,

You are now back in the unload?

Are you satisfied?

Union should be involved in all management conflict.

Egress non-compliance issues should be firmly addressed.

Sincerely,
I

Last night they changed the time clock and let me start 15 mins early since it was a "light night" and they wanted to get done ahead of schedule then the moved me to the load after leaving the belt for outbounds off for the first hour of the shift so it would be all jammed up when I got down there then they waited till it was caught up and running slow again and sent me to unload again and then when I was finished that truck I was sent back to the load to reload everything from the truck I just unloaded. So basically I don't mind the hours but I do mind the fact that management has no idea what they're doing and make everyone's life as complicated as possible for no reason. Like I had to load the trucks for preload to unload and deliver on Sunday but I don't understand why it all had to be moved from one truck to another and be sorted and all reloaded instead of just leaving it in the same truck for all of that to be done Sunday and the supervisor was even arguing with the manager telling him the same thing. So I just smile and nod now and do everything by the methods and go slow to make sure it's done right instead of having to be redone lol.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Island

Last night they changed the time clock and let me start 15 mins early since it was a "light night" and they wanted to get done ahead of schedule then the moved me to the load after leaving the belt for outbounds off for the first hour of the shift so it would be all jammed up when I got down there then they waited till it was caught up and running slow again and sent me to unload again and then when I was finished that truck I was sent back to the load to reload everything from the truck I just unloaded. So basically I don't mind the hours but I do mind the fact that management has no idea what they're doing and make everyone's life as complicated as possible for no reason. Like I had to load the trucks for preload to unload and deliver on Sunday but I don't understand why it all had to be moved from one truck to another and be sorted and all reloaded instead of just leaving it in the same truck for all of that to be done Sunday and the supervisor was even arguing with the manager telling him the same thing. So I just smile and nod now and do everything by the methods and go slow to make sure it's done right instead of having to be redone lol.

Sent using BrownCafe App
That sort of thing happens all the time. If you think it might be happening again, ask your supervisors if there's any way you can load it to make it easier to reload. You probably won't get any constructive answer but rarely you will. Most of the time you have to just grin and bear it. Doing redundant work is a good source of hours but it does tend to make management angry and they tend to take it out on you.
In my hub, we call those situations Thursday.