What percentage of trucks are automatic?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
About 50-60% of my building is auto. About 15% of our fleet are still the horrible 1987-1989 POS's. They just refuse to retire them.
Mine is 1986. My kingdom for power steering! But seriously...of the crappy old dinosaurs we have...mine turns the easiest.

I get the economics but it's still so aggrevating going through a day without power steering. It's very telling that out of all the physical energy that a driver expends in a day, steering the wheel in one of these beasts all day takes more work than everything else combined, especially on a city route. In 2014, it's completely ridiculous.
So IMO, manuals aren't the biggest problem, non- power steering is what kills a workday.
When I was a cover guy I used to whine when I got put on the only route I covered that had a dinosuar 800. I was miserable all week long. I was spoiled. Now I bid a route with the same kind of dinosaur 800, but the steering isn't quite as bad and I don't even mind it anymore. Don't get me wrong. I would love to have a low step again...power steering and no more clutch, but I can go through the day and be happy.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I agree with the stick in snow, ANYDAY! As far as cab room, alot of our cars have a what looks like a small roll cage where the heater blower is. That space used to be great to stack out while loading the dolly.
Yeah, the newer trucks have that. It's good for cabbing packages during peak.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I load my dolly,In the cargo area...and slide it out the door!
5mxuna.jpg

upsman68

We have a lot of part timers that didn't qualify at our center because they could not drive manual. They could not pass the road test. We hired people off the street as drivers. I guess the youth of today can't drive sticks

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
We have a lot of part timers that didn't qualify at our center because they could not drive manual. They could not pass the road test. We hired people off the street as drivers. I guess the youth of today can't drive sticks

Sent using BrownCafe App
If your a dude and you cant drive a stick, that person is a :censored2: lol.

Fedex Guy

My package van has a mattress in the back. It's pretty cool. Loaded with condoms and booze. I never get anything done. Lmao

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.