What to expect at the negotiation table

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
UPS took a 5 dollar turkey away from you.....do you really think they are going to give you a signing bonus in the hundreds or thousands of dollars....I don't think so. No employee will ever receive a signing bonus...

I disagree.
Signing bonuses are a trick, a shell game if you will, find the queen.
They will most definitely offer a signing bonus if it will get an issue to slide through.
Last one I saw attempted was in lieu of a raise for a specific year.
It amazed me how many people didn't see that they would be losing money in the long run.

IF YOU SEE A SIGNING BONUS OFFERED, LOOK FOR THE HOOK!!
IT IS A TRICK!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A two-tiered wage structure makes economic sense and is the growing trend in business. I do believe that this will be at least discussed and a signing bonus will be offered if it makes it in to the contract proposal.

I would vote "yes" for a two-tiered wage system to ensure the long term economic stability of the company.

I am also not in favor of a two-tiered wage system but do understand the economics behind such a policy. I would think UPS would realize it would be a tough sell without some sort of signing bonus.

Which one is it Nancy???

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How about ALL new management all the way up to CEO get put on a two tier pay scale topping out at 2/3 of what their predecessors made.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How about ALL new management all the way up to CEO get put on a two tier pay scale topping out at 2/3 of what their predecessors made.

UPS says that we make more than FedEx drivers and that is the main reason we can't keep customers...but nobody ever mentions that UPS management probably make much more than the average FedEx management person.

upsset

The UAW represents members who were working in a struggling industry, and certian concessions were necessary to keep their companies afloat and members employed. UPS is making plenty of money just as it has for 105 years. Why would any card carrying Teamster even consider making any concessions.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
"UPS is making plenty of money just as it has for 105 years. Why would any card carrying Teamster even consider making any concessions."
In 2011 UPS paid the highest divedend ever $2.04 per share they are making money ! The past peak season internet sales were up 10% over the previous year,who shipped the packages ? Like the shareholders we are entitled to a little bit more.No give backs ! No concessions! The IBT member mind set should be more not less.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"UPS is making plenty of money just as it has for 105 years. Why would any card carrying Teamster even consider making any concessions."
In 2011 UPS paid the highest divedend ever $2.04 per share they are making money ! The past peak season internet sales were up 10% over the previous year,who shipped the packages ? Like the shareholders we are entitled to a little bit more.No give backs ! No concessions! The IBT member mind set should be more not less.
Don't forget the new openings in Canada.........

M

MenInBrown

Lets negotiate on UPS making a profit of 6 BILLION this year in a recession...I think we have plenty of power at the table.

upsset

Well one thing is for sure, that outgo of money and these expansions don't include hiring more fulltime employees. We have not hired any new drivers in 3 years.

Hopefully you have the list of all the 'outgo' of money with expansions and all.......companies have expenses.

Inthegame

Hopefully you have the list of all the 'outgo' of money with expansions and all.......companies have expenses.
Thanks for the business lesson. Employees have expenses too. By the way, expenses are paid from net, what's left is called "profit" and UPS did just fine in this tough economy.

22.34life

might be wrong but i think we will see a lot of the things i have read on this thread and then some.one thing i think we will see is no more benefits for new hired p/t people.ups can get anything passed regarding p/t people because they dont vote and union knows its a DRIVER DRIVEN contract.