What to Wear??

chonky

I start Monday as a loader and unloader, and was just wondering what I should wear? What kind of shoes, pants and shirt? Thanks!!

Megansman

I start Monday as a loader and unloader, and was just wondering what I should wear? What kind of shoes, pants and shirt? Thanks!!

Jeans, T-shirt, and leather upper shoes/boots are fine. Don't wear anything you're fond of... your first couple of days will be orientation but once you start working you're gonna get dirty.

cental34

I'd definetely reccomend gloves. Most people don't use them, but unless you want thick, calloused fingers, you should wear gloves. I'd also reccomend getting some gloves with rubber grip. The brand I used is Coretech. You can get them for $4 at Dollar General. Just don't expect them to last. I typically go through 1 pair of gloves per month.

LKLND3380

Jeans that will (eventually) get holes over the pockets... I buy gloves at Wal-Mart - Leather/Cotton $2.00 and they last a month or so...

ragu

At my center the uniform seems to be hip-hop casual, everything 3 sizes too big and be sure to wear your straight brimmed hat tilted to the side or you wont fit in. Yet, most seem like good guys and work very hard.
Central34, I thought everything at Dollar General was a dollar, you may be getting ripped off.

brownrod

it totally depends on which part of the country you live in...

Where I am at it's freakin cold. Dress in layers.

cental34

At my center the uniform seems to be hip-hop casual, everything 3 sizes too big and be sure to wear your straight brimmed hat tilted to the side or you wont fit in. Yet, most seem like good guys and work very hard.

At first I thought you might be talking about Oakhaven, then I saw the "work very hard" comment.
:w00t:
Central34, I thought everything at Dollar General was a dollar, you may be getting ripped off.

Nope. Not everything at Dollar General is a dollar. Its not that type of store.

hoser

Industrial Slob
oh yeah, i forgot. buy yourself a solid hoodie. i reccomend a "LEE HEAVYWEIGHT" hoodie. nice and thick and warm. great to shed when you get sweaty. that, and comfortable work pants (don't wear freakin' jeans), along with steeltoes with good insoles, you're golden.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
oh yeah, i forgot. buy yourself a solid hoodie. i reccomend a "LEE HEAVYWEIGHT" hoodie. nice and thick and warm. great to shed when you get sweaty. that, and comfortable work pants (don't wear freakin' jeans), along with steeltoes with good insoles, you're golden.

I agree. I wear an old pair of khaki pants, and during the colder months a nice warm sweatshirt and a good pair of boots. I don't use gloves, but then again I'm a guy....I don't have nasty callouses on my hands but it's up to you...

Deuce

i don't know where you live but dress for the weather

if it is hot, wear very light and breathable type clothes to help stay cool, (in the summer just think of the UPS trailers as a greenhouse on wheels.

if it is cold outside, it will be cold in the trucks as well

hoser

Industrial Slob
I agree. I wear an old pair of khaki pants, and during the colder months a nice warm sweatshirt and a good pair of boots. I don't use gloves, but then again I'm a guy....I don't have nasty callouses on my hands but it's up to you...
I'm a guy and I wear gloves. I want my hands to stay soft. The woman seems to appreciate it, too. :cool:

i don't know where you live but dress for the weather

if it is hot, wear very light and breathable type clothes to help stay cool, (in the summer just think of the UPS trailers as a greenhouse on wheels.

if it is cold outside, it will be cold in the trucks as well
invest in some good underarmour.. for heat and for cold
Under Armour� � Global Headquarters � Sports Equipment, Performance Athletic Apparel, and Sportswear

i swear by this stuff.

helenofcalifornia

When I was a preloader I always put strips of tape on my pants where I leaned up against the belt when sorting or reaching for packages. I saved ALOT of wear and tear on my jeans that way. If you don't understand this concept, look around at other workers jeans and see where the wear and tear is.

LKLND3380

When I was a preloader I always put strips of tape on my pants where I leaned up against the belt when sorting or reaching for packages. I saved ALOT of wear and tear on my jeans that way. If you don't understand this concept, look around at other workers jeans and see where the wear and tear is.

It also helps to remove keys and change from your pockets...