What type of route is easier on your body?

retired2000

do not know if you are out of a bldg that has a hub in it. if you do you may want to look into going inside for the last years with brown. that is what i did. did not want to hurt my back or injury my knees anymore then they were already.

Upslady20

I am in a 30 car building that does not even have feeder runs. We do have 3 drivers who do the airport shuttle so they only deliver about 4 hours a day. Needless to say they are the senior 3 drivers. Someday...

ups_vette

Did you ask your manager where he did his residency in internal medicine, orthopedics and cardiology?

Dr. Trickpony.....Perrhaps that manager did his residency at the same university you completed yours. After all, in previous posts you were the one giving medical advice without stating where you did your residency.

satellitedriver

With the bid list going up in our center tomorrow I am trying to figure out which route to bid on. Since I am female and approaching 48 years old I have to put more thought in it than I used to. I have been a driver for 21 years so I have a couple of choices.
So which is better on your joints and muscles?
A mall route with 95 stops 25 miles and between 400 and 600 packages. With several heavy boxes to put on the docks of Lowes and Home Depot. You drive two different package cars.
A rural route with between 110 to 125 stops 125 miles. The driver on it now runs over by almost 2 hours.
A route that does a large trailer park and some business including Walmart and Home depot. 150 to 185 stops 100 miles.
My manager said if my body was used to it age does not matter. I seem to think that your body gets worn out even if you do everything right.
So looking forward to your thoughts on this.
None of them are easy on your body.
You have driven for 21 yrs and should know the toll it can take. In a small center like yours, you should have a good feel for all the routes by talking to other drivers.
I am turning 54 yrs old soon with 21 yrs driving all types of routes.
You know yourself and you know your center. The physical part of the job will never change no matter what route you are on.
Take care of yourself first.
Your manager must not be old enough to know that age does matter.

rebel

It doesnt matter what the other drivers do, its what you do. Follow safety, methods, and work at your pace. Call managament by 3pm if you cant make service. Make sure you communicate. I would take rural route.

wyobill

You guys re- bid deliver routes every year or two? Never heard such a thing. Why are teamster contracts all different?
By the way take the windshield time!

runner45

I am utterly suprised of all the people that comments about how many hours someone is running over. Has anybody read the contract about a fair day work for a fair days pay.

canon

My manager said if my body was used to it age does not matter.

The contract disagrees with your manager. And from his statement, I'm betting he already knows that.

ARTICLE 37. MANAGEMENT-EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
Section 1.​

The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee.

Take whichever route you want. Follow methods, don't let them intimidate.

Edit:
I am utterly suprised of all the people that comments about how many hours someone is running over. Has anybody read the contract about a fair day work for a fair days pay.
Sorry runner45, I was writing this as you posted. lol. you get full credit.

rebel

185 stops, that sounds like two routes. Anytime your sup wants to talk production or show you the OP report, request you steward to be present. never discuss off the clock. Everyone in center needs to do the same and then file on intimidation. It will drive management crazy if a steward has to be present at every conversation

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would go with the route with the least amount of packages. My first one I handled a thousand a day with fifty pickups. Today I handle about 165 with four pickups. We get to rebid every two years, there actually is a little hope that your job can get better. Go Residential, you get a Helper at Peak and that only lasts a few weeks.

SmithBarney

125-185 stops? are you in a bonus center? The most stops i have run is 80 and that was when my stomach was upset

Geez... 150-160 was optimum for one route I ran(about 40 miles a day)
150 could get done by 5pm(running 20+sporh)
when I was covering rural, it was supposed to be 70stops(250 miles)
but normally would run 90-100 stops(250 miles) getting done about
11-12 hr days, with no help... nice eh?(runs about 8 sporh)

No bonus here... (well there)

HazMatMan

With the bid list going up in our center tomorrow I am trying to figure out which route to bid on. Since I am female and approaching 48 years old I have to put more thought in it than I used to. I have been a driver for 21 years so I have a couple of choices.
A mall route with 95 stops 25 miles and between 400 and 600 packages. With several heavy boxes to put on the docks of Lowes and Home Depot. You drive two different package cars.
A rural route with between 110 to 125 stops 125 miles. The driver on it now runs over by almost 2 hours.
A route that does a large trailer park and some business including Walmart and Home depot. 150 to 185 stops 100 miles.
My manager said if my body was used to it age does not matter. I seem to think that your body gets worn out even if you do everything right.

Can't you bid into a return clerk spot?? It's easier on the body. Love how your manager said that to you, he hasn't done your job for 20+ years. (Walk a mile in my shoes) Yes, I agree with you, even if you do everything right your body still gets worn out. Drivers in my building with 20+ years can bid into return clerks, car washers, porters. Maybe different in your area I don't know..

HazMatMan

I'd pick the one with the least pickups... or driver meets.
And a newer truck would solidify the deal...

Yeah, tell them you want a/c in the truck and a coffee maker installed as well. lol.. sorry couldn't resist that one after seeing the "solidify the deal" quote.

HazMatMan

ARTICLE 37. MANAGEMENT-EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
Section 1.

The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest. .

Does that include management people also?? Seems some posters are at a UPS computer when posting.. Is that stealing time???

Last edited:

Upslady20

There are no other areas of work in our building. The car wash is done by part-timers and a special job that was made for a driver who now has his 30 years in that had gotten hurt on the job. When he retires the job is gone a special case they say.
I am female but not special so I must stay in the package car or quit. Since this is the last job I hope to ever do quitting is not an option.
They did not even post the routes on the first like they are supposed to. He said he is going to start at the top and work down the list so no one puts their name on more than one list or like last time. Bumped people off as the list was coming down.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Feeders ?????

browniehound

Thats what I love about you reamsters it takes three of you against one management person before its almost a fair fight. :thumbup1:

This is a question I have been wanting to ask for a long time. How many of our management people actually have a degree in business management? The ones I know have degrees in history, political science, criminal justice and physcology. I know district managers on up must have some formal training in business (at least i hope they do for our company's sake).

My point is, talented people with degrees in business go and work for companies that pay really well, treat their employees well, have an opportunity for advancement, and are given nice bonuses (hello 1.6 MIP this year!) . This is what scares me about the company. UPS can't (or won't) offer the same incentives that most other US companies will to young and talented people. I think we are getting our :censored2: kicked by DHL because we have managers that majored in english or 18th century french poetry (no offense to people who have their degree in that).

My opinion is for our company to succeed we need to offer a better compensation package to our yound-and-up-and-comers. What do ya'll think?

satellitedriver

This is a question I have been wanting to ask for a long time. How many of our management people actually have a degree in business management? The ones I know have degrees in history, political science, criminal justice and physcology. I know district managers on up must have some formal training in business (at least i hope they do for our company's sake).

My point is, talented people with degrees in business go and work for companies that pay really well, treat their employees well, have an opportunity for advancement, and are given nice bonuses (hello 1.6 MIP this year!) . This is what scares me about the company. UPS can't (or won't) offer the same incentives that most other US companies will to young and talented people. I think we are getting our :censored2: kicked by DHL because we have managers that majored in english or 18th century french poetry (no offense to people who have their degree in that).

None of the sups,excluding the center manager (only because I never asked), have a degree in my center. The old school was to work your way up thru the company. That way, one got a full understanding how the logistics of UPS worked. With the technology today, the company views that the concept of experience and learning the job from the ground up is a thing of the past.
In my opinion,this is a fatal flaw.
Technology can be learned by motivated people no matter their level of education.
No disrespect to the techs that help this company keep running. It is just the direction of the company is leaning to technology over the nuts and bolts of keeping the core business based on the knowledge and of expeirience of its dedicated employees, who serve on all levels.