What Will Your Top Wages Be With The New Contract?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So we can compare what we're NOT going to be getting over at FedEx, what will the new wages be for Feeder and Package Car drivers under the new contract? Also, how long does it take for an employee to "top out" in position at UPS? One of the ways we get screwed at FedEx is by stretching-out the pay range to the point where it takes over 10 years to reach the top of the scale.
Most unionized companies take 3 years, but I'm not sure about UPS.

browniehound

Mr. FedEx,
When I started driving about 8 years ago it was 2 years to get to top-rate. Then in the '02 contract it went to 30 months. Now I believe its 3 years.

Right now in MA top rate is 28.14 and will increase to 28. 34 in Aug of 08 i believe

dirty moose

With the new contract it becomes 3 years, correct?
And how does that effect employees that haven't hit top pay yet? (my self)
I made my book Aug 06

browniehound

With the new contract it becomes 3 years, correct?
And how does that effect employees that haven't hit top pay yet? (my self)
I made my book Aug 06

Dirty, I think you will progress under the last contract. So you'll be top rate at 30 months. At least this is what I think.

705red

Browncafe Steward
So we can compare what we're NOT going to be getting over at FedEx, what will the new wages be for Feeder and Package Car drivers under the new contract? Also, how long does it take for an employee to "top out" in position at UPS? One of the ways we get screwed at FedEx is by stretching-out the pay range to the point where it takes over 10 years to reach the top of the scale.
Most unionized companies take 3 years, but I'm not sure about UPS.
You cannot compare the wages of a fedex driver to a ups driver. The average ups driver can run circles around the average fedex driver. Here the dhl drivers belong to te same local and some of them complain that we make more than they do. Its obvious why we make more, our trucks go out full and come back full. Our company has huge profits and others dont, so before you attempt to compare apples to oranges take all of this into account. The wages if given and not diverted will be $4 an hour over the 5 years which would bring us here as package to $32.20 and feeder $32.55 plus an additional $1 per hour per week pension contribution. Time for you guys to organize.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You're right about needing to organize 705Red, and while it's true that some UPS drivers can "run circles" around FedEx drivers, our couriers generally cover much wider areas than their UPS counterparts, and also have a much higher proportion of on-call stops. Most UPS drivers have the same shippers day after day, and so do FedEx people, but all it takes is a few oddball stops to throw a wrench into your day, especially when your area is so large. In metro areas, I can assure you that FedEx trucks leave full and also return full, so the differences between the 2 jobs aren't that huge. The UPS Feeder and FedEx RTD(Ramp Transport Driver) positions are pretty comparable, and a lot of FedEx RTD's also do double duty as Heavyweight Couriers (150 lbs and up pkgs), which can be a real hassle. Visualize delivering a 1200 lb pallet or a 300 lb non-palletized crate to a residential by yourself and you get the idea. Happens all the time...
From what I've seen so far in terms of responses, the wage gulf is even wider than I originally thought...we are truly being bent over backwards. The addition of the long top-out period only makes it worse. Thanks for the input so far....I'll be sharing it with my co-workers in the hope they will finally get going with organizing.