Whats the logic behind 'Eliminating' routes

thessalonian13

In our center they have been sending 5 to 10 drivers home every day... They have about 15 helpers going out. They expect the helper teams to be back before 630pm. LMFAO Then, at 6pm they are scrambling to get drivers to take work off of eachother in order to be by 8pm. We always have 5 or more drivers past 8pm. Management/dispatching are clueless. LMFAO I don't bother complaining about it. It is what it is.
I forgot my point.... UPS has no logic LOL

satellitedriver

3 yrs later

Yet, still timely
The more things change they still stay the same.
Toon was dead on in her posts then, and more so now.
Record quarterly profits and at the same time quadrupling operating expenses.
The main OE is labor cost. Paying OT increases the OE and has an inverse effect on the profit margin.
Spending 400% more on OE is a direct result-(and a negative impact on profit)- of paying me $45 dollars an hour to keep a part-timer, that is paid straight time at half my rate, off the road.
Perfect example is yesterday and today.
This area was always run with 4 cars. Now it is run with 3 over dispatched cars.
Yesterday, 3 extra cars were sent down at 3PM to clean up the mess.
Today, it only took 2 extra cars.
After the mess was cleaned up. I still worked an 11hr day, the other 2 drivers ended up with 10+hr days.
This is the normal dispatched day now.
I do not have a MBA from Wharton, but I do know how to balance a checkbook and manage a household budget.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Yet, still timely
The more things change they still stay the same.
Toon was dead on in her posts then, and more so now.
Record quarterly profits and at the same time quadrupling operating expenses.
The main OE is labor cost. Paying OT increases the OE and has an inverse effect on the profit margin.
Spending 400% more on OE is a direct result-(and a negative impact on profit)- of paying me $45 dollars an hour to keep a part-timer, that is paid straight time at half my rate, off the road.
Perfect example is yesterday and today.
This area was always run with 4 cars. Now it is run with 3 over dispatched cars.
Yesterday, 3 extra cars were sent down at 3PM to clean up the mess.
Today, it only took 2 extra cars.
After the mess was cleaned up. I still worked an 11hr day, the other 2 drivers ended up with 10+hr days.
This is the normal dispatched day now.
I do not have a MBA from Wharton, but I do know how to balance a checkbook and manage a household budget.

Sometimes the most basic things are the hardest for this company....that is the most frustrating thing for many who are employed here

I have been driving now for 13 years and I still could not figure out :censored2: is the logic/reasoning behind 'eliminating' routes? Yeah yeah they tell us that it is because "the volume is too low"....

Ok lets say that it is but wouldnt it be more reasonable to just add stops to the route that is suppose to be 'low in stop count' rather than dividing it and giving it to 4 - 5 routes? wouldnt it be "CHEAPER" to run that truck and give it to a driver and do less hours than giving it to 4 other drivers that will eventually have 3-4 hours of overtime? that is time and a half?

I know its like barking at the wrong tree but this is a forum and I might learn something from my fellow upsers in regards to this issue. Again, :censored2: is the reasoning/logic behind this because business wise it really doesnt make sense, Not when you want to 'save' money.

and oh btw, I did not even mention the 'AM' time thats wasted because they have to eliminate a route at 815 when we are suppose to be on the road at 840. :ohmy:
It looks good on paper and there not the ones who have to do the work so why not.

satellitedriver

Amazing.....isn't it?

I guess it makes no sense to fix the hole in the bottom of the bucket when the water is still flowing over the top.

Ha, ha!!!!!!
You made me think of a childhood song, that I use to sing.
I did a quick search-( gotta love the web)- and google found the song.

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza,
There's a hole.
Then fix it dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
Then fix it dear Henry, dear Henry, fix it.
With what should I fix it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
With what should I fix it, dear Liza, with what?
With a straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
With a straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, with a straw.
But the straw is too long, dear Liza, dear Liza,
The straw is too long, dear Liza, too long.
Then cut it dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
Then cut it dear Henry, dear Henry, cut it!
With what shall I cut it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
With what shall I cut it, dear Liza, with what?
With an ax, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
With an ax, dear Henry, an ax.
But the ax is too dull, dear Liza, dear Liza,
The ax is too dull, dear Liza, too dull.
Then, sharpen it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
Then sharpen it dear Henry, dear Henry, sharpen it!
With what should I sharpen it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
With what should I sharpen, dear Liza, with what?
With a stone, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
With a stone, dear Henry, dear Henry, a stone.
But the stone is too dry, dear Liza, dear Liza,
The stone is too dry, dear Liza, too dry.
Then wet it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
Then wet it dear Henry, dear Henry, wet it.
With what should I wet it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
With what should I wet it, dear Liza, with what?
With water, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
With water, dear Henry, dear Henry, with water.
But how shall I get it?, dear Liza, dear Liza,
But how shall I get it?, dear Liza, with what?
In the bucket, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
In the bucket, dear Henry, dear Henry, in the bucket!
But there's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, a hole.

There's a hole.

Less routes, less people to pay and provide med insurance and benifits like pension, and so on...ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY, ITS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY.