What's the most common damage you see or oddest?

ups79

Sounds good to me. Get paid for the original delivery, and three days later get paid for a call tag. Treat it like a Speigels package, deliver it.

This past peak season when Nintendo Wii was set to hit the stores. I got 7 boxes with 3 each in them soaking wet going to Vegas. They all got wet from a leaking trailer with holes in the roof. Either 1 or 2 years ago when chicago was a stand still from the snow we received boxes and boxes of wine that froze and popped out all the corks. Funny most of them were shipped from a place called A Taste Of California too bad it was'nt from California it would have made it. Cleaned up a box of personal items going to a college student that had a bottle of chocolate syrup with a loose cap at the bottom drenched in syrup was a stack of $100 dollar bills,we immediatley contacted LP ended up being $1600. Got a next day envelope torn in half and of course the side with the label was lost. Inside were 3 checks worth a total of over $400,000 going to a local company that builds and sells snowplows, and groomers. What about Xango, Monavie, UPS autoshops, meats sent by ground, and things people bought on E-Bay ex. leaking autoparts, powerwashers with gas and oil. HazMatMan sounds like I've had many of the same experiences and yes the list does go on and on.

rod

Retired 22 years
I once had a styrofome container with 24 dead rattlesnakes being sent to a taxidermist break open. I about had a heart attact until I realized they were dead.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
had a box of pig fetuses come thru one time. split open and all the fluid leaked on the belt. did i mention it was a humid august day?

oko

I saw a very large box of wiffle balls break open on the upper belt. Wiffle balls bouncing all over the place!

helenofcalifornia

When I worked in a hub I remember a jam up on the high red pickoff. (well, I remember more than just one jam, but this one stuck out) It just rained packages literally for about a minute. All from 40' up. You just had to steer clear until it stopped and then pick up the packages. If they didn't rattle, they got put back up on the belt. It's so surreal seeing packages falling from such a high heigth.

satellitedriver

Eyeballs. Cow eyeballs. It is amazing how large they are, when seen outside of where they should be.
Leaking package going to a High School. I took it to the damage clerk and walked away. I heard a scream and came running. She had opened the box and a broken jar of cow eyeballs, intended for science class, were rolling all around. Spooky to look at, but funny at the same time.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Most common damage I see is underpacked jobs. Usually someone putting no padding around what's inside, and then wondering why there are creases (or holes) in the side. Funny that a similar box looks better, but packaged better inside.

Weirdest damage wasn't really a damage I guess. Remember years ago (pre diad and pre saturday delivery) was making a delivery on a monday. Had a package that had sat all weekend (and was August and hot all weekend). Somebody had overnighted a packaged of crawfish from Louisiana in a ups pack. Funny thing of all was they took it and froze it in ice (I'm assuming) and sent it off. Package was leaking everywhere, and you could smell the rancid crawfish. Took all I could to peel the barcode off (remember the old barcodes we had to take off with our pens????). I actually went to a local business and called the center (pre cell phones too, or at least inexpensive ones) and was told to deliver it anyways. Still cring thinking of the smell of that car that day. Stunk for a month.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I saw a bad pull called in by hub one time resulting in a half dozen computers and other stuff falling out of the back of a trailer. Hub sup came out and started screaming at driver (wasn`t his fault,he pulled correct trl on computer) telling him to get that %^&*(% trailer back in the bay right now. So driver put rig in reverse and backed trailer into bay,right over everything that had fallen out.:laugh:

Moral of the story: Always work as directed.
they will still find way to blame driver/shifter for that he should of went indide to make sure no one was in it and load was secure b4 he pulled trailer off the door!! but the sup was outta line also

Just Lurking

I have several private gun dealers on my route. Usually I see at least 15-20 every week. One day there was a long package that was bent almost at 45 degree angle about 1/3 from one end. At first I thought that it had to be anything but a rifle. I can understand most thing being bent (golf clubs) but how in the dickens due we bend a rifle barrel.

DS

Fenderbender
I was a rookie when I learned not to put
cans of paint on the shelves. I was,and
my pkg car was also a total mess by the
end of the day.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Oh, we did have an odd (but scary) damage recently in our building. Had a driver who had a leaking package. THANKFULLY, he actually did the "don't touch, leave area, contact supervisor". He had an unmarked box with hydrocloric acid break open. By the time the responder showed up, shelf 7 was gone, shelf 8 had partially eaten through, and had small holes burned through the floor in back of package car. Was amazing sight to see when we got in that night (of course we all had to look).

satellitedriver

I have several private gun dealers on my route. Usually I see at least 15-20 every week. One day there was a long package that was bent almost at 45 degree angle about 1/3 from one end. At first I thought that it had to be anything but a rifle. I can understand most thing being bent (golf clubs) but how in the dickens due we bend a rifle barrel.
At least he can shoot around corners with it.
I work metal and cannot see a smooth bend without heat applied. But, I can see an over 70 hitting edge on and it breaking over.
Did you deliver it?
Did you have to pick it up as a damage?

rushfan

Office Depot stuff from SLC. It's never packaged correctly. I had a bottle of cleaner put in a clear shipping bag, and the shipping label placed on it. I have pens, cd rw media in the clear round containers, ink jet printer cartridges, and a variety of other office supplies thrown in clear plastic bags. I thought items were supposed to be packaged according to UPS shipping guidelines.

And you know what really pisses off the unload...Office depot ships those put together desks through us..Yes they weigh over 200 lbs. Why doesn't the origin hub (hint hint SLC) return them as overweight instead of forwarding them on to us. I sure won't deliver them.

Just my 2 cents.

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
Most common damage:

Cases of paper! I wish UPS would charge double for these and make shippers put them in a good box instead of what they are currently in. Every morning our slides are full of broken cases of paper. I love bringing in a case of paper that is missing a ream out of it (lopsided) how do you explain that to your customers?:blushing: