What's the policy for radios and speakers in the station?

AB831

Every morning, the AM sort manager sets up her speaker and blasts music at nightclub volume during the entire sort. I'm about 100 feet away from the speaker and I have to raise my voice and regularly ask the guy next to me to repeat himself in order to communicate. If you actually walk down to the cans where the speaker is sitting, it's absolutely earsplitting. I feel so bad for the poor handlers who have been up since 4 AM and have to be subjected to that. All of the music is from her personal, esoteric playlist and no one appears to actually be enjoying it. She shuts it off whenever there's a higher up at the station, so I imagine it's against policy and it's really grating on my nerves. My question is what can I/should I do about it? I don't like to go over people's heads without talking to them first, but she's very unapproachable and prone to yelling. Any suggestions would be helpful.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here's a thought------ask your co-workers how they feel about the music. If enough of them feel the same way, why don't you simply approach the supervisor as a group and voice your concerns with her? Try not to be confrontational with her but instead voice your concerns in a rational manner. If that doesn't work then by all means go over her head. You should not be subjected to that at any time of the day, let alone first thing in the morning.

Our preload sup used to also play the radio, albeit at a much more comfortable volume, during the sort. He would turn the radio off if he noticed the sort was running behind schedule.

AB831

Here's a thought------ask your co-workers how they feel about the music. If enough of them feel the same way, why don't you simply approach the supervisor as a group and voice your concerns with her? Try not to be confrontational with her but instead voice your concerns in a rational manner. If that doesn't work then by all means go over her head. You should not be subjected to that at any time of the day, let alone first thing in the morning.

Our preload sup used to also play the radio, albeit at a much more comfortable volume, during the sort. He would turn the radio off if he noticed the sort was running behind schedule.
Yeah, I guess that's more constructive than surmising how they feel about it. We were supposed to have a meeting regarding the sort but all of the COVID-19 business axed that, so I feel like there went an opportunity. But thanks for the feedback. Always better to take the softest approach possible initially. Do you happen to know if this violates any of the rules though?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yeah, I guess that's more constructive than surmising how they feel about it. We were supposed to have a meeting regarding the sort but all of the COVID-19 business axed that, so I feel like there went an opportunity. But thanks for the feedback. Always better to take the softest approach possible initially. Do you happen to know if this violates any of the rules though?
He has no idea. He does not, nor has he ever worked at FedEx. Many rules depend on what the Senior Manager allows. Policy has nothing to do with that. Talk to the SM if you can’t talk to the Ops Mgr.

CatMan

Call your Managing Director or HR, anonymously of course, although that might blow it for the whole station

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call your Managing Director or HR....of course that might blow it for the whole station.

I would refrain from going over her head until you addressed it with her. She sounds like a hot head and it would piss her off even more if was told to turn it down (or off) by her boss.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, I don't, but common sense would tell you that if the majority find it annoying that it needs to be resolved, rules or not.

bacha29

Tell her to turn the volume down or you will contact OSHA and ask for noise level testing . If the decibels level exceeds OSHA allowable levels the only sound that will be louder will be the sound of the feces hitting the fan . If she didn't consider the OSHA noise level tolerances when she fired up her boom box then she's definitely not management material.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Tell her to turn the volume down or you will contact OSHA and ask for noise level testing . If the decibels level exceeds OSHA allowable levels the only sound that will be louder will be the sound of the feces hitting the fan . If she didn't consider the OSHA noise level tolerances when she fired up her boom box then she's definitely not management material.
You are so unhelpful. That goes way beyond what he is asking.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

OSHA shows up, he turns the music down. OSHA leaves, he turns the music back up.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

His long lost cousin posts on all the tech forums that I look at when I've got a computer/phone/networking issue. His cousin's solution involves some combination of diving deeeeep into the settings, pages and pages of error logs, disassembling everything, using a piece of diagnostic equipment that costs $300, and replacing just about everything. The other solutions (that usually work) aren't much more complicated than "turn it off and then turn it back on."

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
His long lost cousin posts on all the tech forums that I look at when I've got a computer/phone/networking issue. His cousin's solution involves some combination of diving deeeeep into the settings, pages and pages of error logs, disassembling everything, using a piece of diagnostic equipment that costs $300, and replacing just about everything. The other solutions (that usually work) aren't much more complicated than "turn it off and then turn it back on."
There’s a slang word for that now....extra.

Urban Dictionary: extra

bacha29

But if OSHA were to show up unannounced and hears that excessive noise themselves? Then again given that elitist/diva attitude of X management the people on the line are just throw away temporaries hired through a staffing agency and so if they experience hearing loss later in life because of their exposure to damaging noise levels no need for concern ......they're just throw away temporaries.

Working4the1%

But if OSHA were to show up unannounced and hears that excessive noise themselves? Then again given that elitist/diva attitude of X management the people on the line are just throw away temporaries hired through a staffing agency and so if they experience hearing loss later in life because of their exposure to damaging noise levels no need for concern ......they're just throw away temporaries.
Bacha29 this radio battle not worth your energy..

bacha29

Bacha is a construction engineer. He makes mountains out of molehills.

And if he finds a new audience, he will regurgitate his tired old stories each and every time.
With all the advances in hearing aid technology I'm sure there's a model out there right now that you'll find to your liking. I just hope that the Fedex Express retiree healthcare plan pays the 3K and up price tag that goes along with the models that are most effective against cases of advanced hearing loss.

ManInBrown

Every morning, the AM sort manager sets up her speaker and blasts music at nightclub volume during the entire sort. I'm about 100 feet away from the speaker and I have to raise my voice and regularly ask the guy next to me to repeat himself in order to communicate. If you actually walk down to the cans where the speaker is sitting, it's absolutely earsplitting. I feel so bad for the poor handlers who have been up since 4 AM and have to be subjected to that. All of the music is from her personal, esoteric playlist and no one appears to actually be enjoying it. She shuts it off whenever there's a higher up at the station, so I imagine it's against policy and it's really grating on my nerves. My question is what can I/should I do about it? I don't like to go over people's heads without talking to them first, but she's very unapproachable and prone to yelling. Any suggestions would be helpful.
How’s she look?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
11F47CA4-4AE0-4327-B050-1F91A3380089.gif

bacha29

Bacha is a construction engineer. He makes mountains out of molehills.

And if he finds a new audience, he will regurgitate his tired old stories each and every time.
And you'll keep READING my tired old stories right along with everyone else's tired old stories including your own tired old stories.