What's wrong with the retirement Dept?

542thruNthru

Totally off topic but I’m curious, how did the Western Region ever get in with local 177 for for health care? Aren’t they on opposite sides of the country?

Yes they are opposite sides of the country. I don't know the details but it happen in 2013 when the union allowed the company to kick us out of the company plan. The west refused to go into team care and local 177 was the only local smart enough to follow us.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Word of warning to everyone retiring.

Make sure you dot all your i's and cross all your t's. Make sure every document you need to have done has been recieved or processed.

In the west we have to send a certificate of retirement to our healthcare. We recently had two drivers that retired and this certificate was never recieved. They now have no retirement healthcare because of it. They were forced to buy it on the market.
That’s absurd. It’s one thing for them not to have it for awhile if they forgot to do something. It’s another to just say oh now you don’t get it.

They should receive the healthcare after turning in the proper paperwork

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Word of Warning...Not everybody is in YOUR Pension area.

Next time anybody asks about their pension or health and welfare benefits...Please list your individual pension conference area.

Everyone of them have different formulas, eligibility requirements and monetary benefits, some are controlled by the Union, others by the Company.

My dealings with Atlanta on my retirement benefits are (well I do not want to go there), it just shaves a couple of years off my life span..:flirtysmile3:

quad decade guy

Make sure you dot all your i's and cross all your t's. Make sure every document you need to have done has been recieved or processed.

In the west we have to send a certificate of retirement to our healthcare. We recently had two drivers that retired and this certificate was never recieved. They now have no retirement healthcare because of it. They were forced to buy it on the market.

Not my fight but couldn't this be corrected? Retro?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It's funny that you mention this.

When we still had the $50 a month payment for retiree insurance, we had a feeder

driver that didn't want it to be deducted from his pension check. Big mistake.

He missed a payment.... and was cut off.

oldngray

nowhere special

Sometimes that isn't enough. I sent in all the paperwork and got confirmation everything was OK. But apparently another office didn't get the memo because I kept getting conflicting letters saying I was covered .. or they still needed more paperwork (that they had already confirmed they got). I even sent in payment but a month later they said I was cancelled and sent the money back. So I had to send it back to them again. Something got entered wrong into a database and they couldn't understand why they were screwing up.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You would think, but they were told no. I don't have every detail why but I do no they will never get their retirement medical.
We can opt to not take the retiree insurance at retirement, then choose to take it a later date. Makes sense for people who have insurance through a spouse who still works.

MattM

I was told it had something to do with the 1 punch a week. Couple weeks went by with no punch and they were dropped.
Weeks? Try days. I got a letter within days from wr177 saying I had no coverage for the week prior (of which was all scheduled off).
But you won't get a letter saying you're back in good graces. Those guys should've known something was up.

Speaking of wr177, what is the healthcare like for retirees? I'm decades away but I'm interested in knowing the options. Do they have to pay weekly or monthly? Is it like our regular wr177 coverage, which you can't compare with anything (it's beyond excellent)? Or is it similar to regular but less coverage %?

quad decade guy

There was 1 person in HR who took care of the feeder retirements where I worked. She had been there 30+ years. She had it together. Haven't heard of any drivers who have had any issues here.

What building and what did this person "handle"?. No one here seems to know anything

or come close to caring. My understanding is that Atlanta is the contact point and the Company

(locally) has absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm really interested, thanks.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Weeks? Try days. I got a letter within days from wr177 saying I had no coverage for the week prior (of which was all scheduled off).
But you won't get a letter saying you're back in good graces. Those guys should've known something was up.

Speaking of wr177, what is the healthcare like for retirees? I'm decades away but I'm interested in knowing the options. Do they have to pay weekly or monthly? Is it like our regular wr177 coverage, which you can't compare with anything (it's beyond excellent)? Or is it similar to regular but less coverage %?
Local 25 coverage for retirees this year ( BCBS ) costs $707 per month , comes right out of your pension check. Was $693 per month for 2019. Do you see the trend ?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
What building and what did this person "handle"?. No one here seems to know anything

or come close to caring. My understanding is that Atlanta is the contact point and the Company

(locally) has absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm really interested, thanks.
She worked in HR in our building. I imagine she did other things, but she handled all the paperwork for all retirements in feeders. If you had questions, she had answers. Walked you thru the myriad of things to fill out and sign. Sent the paperwork to Atlanta for you and kept you informed of any status. We had worked together (not in the same department tho, for over 30 years. she genuinely wanted to help.