When did corp. lose touch?

Thebrowntruth

Here is one I am curious to know, when do you think corporate lost touch with the real world, front-line UPS. It certainly isnt the same company where Jim Casey would meet up with a driver to know what they really felt and saw each day. Its now a company where each big-shot visit is a shameless "show". Just curious what you all thought...for me BTW it had to be during the strike when one member of the board of directors had to be TOLD that wearing the flashy gold and diamonds probably wasnt good public relations when she was about to be interviewed on national TV about the hard working men and women on strike. That much stupidy did it for me!

hangin455

The problem with Atlanta being out of touch gets worse all the time. There are greater #'s of "outside" hires than the old days when people who actually worked on the front lines would transfer to the corp office. There are lots of people there now who have never handled a package in their lives. The people there that did once actually work in operation did it so long ago that they are completely out of touch with the "real" world. December's coming - when you are breaking your butt trying to sort/load/deliver some these people will be taking vacations

T

TK-MNMPL_MIGRN

I know how Corp is...being that I am at the bottom of the *totem* pole and the fact that I joined UPS 3 years back has exposed me to a lot of stuff.

Fact 1: Most of the Portfolio mgrs and VPs in UPS are people who came from the district level. A large number of upper (2 MIPs level) managers are from the district and when they joined Corp IS, they brought in the "hub" mentality in with them. Corp has changed due to this, and it doesn't help when a majority of these managers lack people skills. It's a fine line as a manager to be savvy enough to know when to lead and when to be agressive on certain issues. Take some time and look up the CEO, CIO, COO biographies and you will notice a common thread.

Fact 2: UPS is a numbers company and that starts on the hub level. How much are you putting out? It's become evident in the 3 years I have been at UPS that it doesn't matter how you achieve these numbers as long as they are met. Well, the only time it becomes a "concern" (p.s. never use the word problem in Corp) is when we lose business/large customers. Same goes for the ERI, as long as the mgrs in those depts are effective and cutting costs, Corp is happy and will tolerate a few disgruntled employees...you are labelled disgruntled and not unhappy.

Finally, I know this paints a sad state of affairs but I'd rather deal with this than have to say..."Would you like some fries with that?"

SmithBarney

Well we just lost 4 drivers this week.. while that might not seem like alot
its over 10% of our driving staff(13%) thats not including one who will be retiring in two weeks, another out on suspension(unsure if she'll get her job back) another already out on disability. If they'd stop beating up the new guys
maybe they'd stick around.

feederdude

You first have to be in touch, to lose it.
The higher you go with these folks, the worse it gets.
District level is bad enough, then Region to Corp, it's a whole new world.
A wife of a Region manager once said, my husband no longer sees brown, only green. The more consolidating of Region offices that is done is a good thing.
Fdude

browned_out

I agree that when this company went public, value for the "investor" was put as the number 1 priority. I guess that means screw everything and everybody just to make the numbers. I hope that this company will see that the only way to return to glory is to buy back all outstanding shares and take this company private again.:mad:

BoogaBooga

I have no idea if what is being asked of me to do is good in the long term survival of UPS. I am working harder, longer, and safer, but assumptions have been made by management that have been detrimental to my physical and mental health, and difficult to my family and social life. Constructive dissatisfaction in the workplace is a miserable way of treating people, although management must be doing some things right since they have been around for 99 years. But when a divsion manager says to your driver group that we were poor performers at peak season, even though we worked 12 hours a day, could not deliver all of the packages because IE shortstaffed us, and had 1 day off for Christmas-it left me with a bleak outlook on the future. And so far this year I wish I could say conditions have improved, but attitudes have worsened. Quiet UPSers will not eat at safety cookouts, give to the United Way, or even refuse to go to the Circle of Honor dinners. Something is wrong and it is not just the frontline supervisors or managers to blame. I pray that the Corporate Managers have a reason and strategy to the sacrifices being dictated to its employees.

Bulkstop

Shanty Irish
I will have to agree that a big part of the change in culture at UPS are all of the "outsiders" that have been brought into Atlanta. Suddenly, what was done for the first 90 or so years to get us where we are is no longer good enough. UPS now has to be like all the other big corporate entities out there. Doing whatever it takes to serve our customers is now outdated and apparently dosen't fit into whatever theroretical one-size-fits-all business model they learned in business college.
Today's master is the stockholder and our goal now is to keep stock prices and dividends high. If this goal interferes with customer service, then that's an unfortunant but acceptable consiquence.
Sadly, in my opinion, this approach does not bode well for UPS's chances in the next 100 years to remain the strong steady company it's always been under the "Casey" system.

P.S. Please excuse my many spelling errors. I can't seem to master the spell check feature on this forum:blushing:

tieguy

Banned
coorporate offices allways lose touch with the front lines. Its an inevitable process that takes place as the coorperation grows.

S

speeddemon

coorporate offices allways lose touch with the front lines. Its an inevitable process that takes place as the coorperation grows.

It could be avoided. Just because its the norm, doesnt mean its the right thing to happen.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
When is the breaking point going to happen. Does anyone feel like there needs to be new leadership at the top, new ceo, coo, etc, etc. I think the days of working people 12 hours, no lunch, and the bull**** of firing people for nothing are comming to an end. If this company wants to grow the business into the next 50 years its going to need to evaluate its policy on its people, both hourly and lower level management. Maybe a good start would be to have corporate level mgt read the ups policy book. Maybe its time to get back to the roots of this company, and a start would be to treat your employees with a little bit of self worth, and respect.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I will have to agree that a big part of the change in culture at UPS are all of the "outsiders" that have been brought into Atlanta.

I dont think this company brings in many outsiders into its ranks, maybe thats the problem. The same management style for 35 years, the "get out there and bust it out no matter what" idealogy is part of the problem with this company. THERE IS NO NEW, FRESH, IDEAS. It was only the last few years that new services, etc, have been born. I want this company to have success, but when you beat down your employees day after day after day......what the hell do you think is going to happen???