When do you stop complete?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
stug

might i suggest considering what the methods are when dealing with a question like this.

the methods are a universally accepted and taught series of job details that spell out how things are to be done.

and variations from those methods are a good way to get canned.

not saying i never did vary from the methods, just that regardless of the flavor in your area, using the methods are fail proof.

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
stug

might i suggest considering what the methods are when dealing with a question like this.

the methods are a universally accepted and taught series of job details that spell out how things are to be done.

not saying i never did vary from the methods, just that regardless of the flavor in your area, using the methods are fail proof.

d
I believe that "the methods" you speak of vary from franchise to franchise, supe to supe, mgr to mgr and so on. I bet you could ask 20 different people and get that many answers. The question is not really so I can figure things out for myself, it's more to see how others do it where they are.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
stug

the methods i speak of are a written set of instructions that are used nation wide (and world wide as far as i have knowledge). they do not have any room for the variances you speak of "from franchise to franchise, supe to supe, mgr to mgr and so on. I bet you could ask 20 different people and get that many answers" the confusion is that some people put their own spin on what they think, instead of what is written.

in the case of your actual question, at businesses, you stop complete as soon as the customers signature is corrected. in the event that the customer signs the diad before you scan the packages, you hit stop complete when you finish scanning. this applied when drivers still had to scan the packages. since you no longer have to scan them, stop complete after signature clarification.

at residential stops, it is as soon as you have disposed of the package in what ever proper manner needed, and you are walking back to the package car.

remember, no matter what a sup tells you, if you do not do the job by the books, it can be used against you at a later date should ups want to develop a case against you.

we have had several terminations at our center for discrepancies in the stop complete department. it seems several drivers were saving stops for later......

stupid, so stupid.

d

tourists24

stug

d
You are correct here DB..... the methods I mentioned in my earlier post came straight from their 340 methods list.... I have a copy right here on my computer for a reference guide since I had 3 OJS rides this past year.... I wanted to make sure I was as close to perfect with them for my performance rides.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Sometimes I carry my DIAD and sometimes I don't. Most of the time I will grab my DIAD as I am going into the back, grab the package, scan it and DR/SC it and put it back in the holster and then walk it off. I do catch my self carrying it with me sometimes but I like to have both my hands available in case I were to fall or something/someone attacks me or a fly ball heads my way.

For commercial deliveries I scan te packag on teh way in and then when i get the sig I verify and stop complete as I turn around and wish them a good day on teh way out the door.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Most of the time I will grab my DIAD as I am going into the back, grab the package, scan it and DR/SC it and put it back in the holster and then walk it off.
what happens when you get to the house after you stop complete at front door, and you meet the customer instead of left at front door?

a little detail like that can come back to bite.

d

Cementups

Box Monkey
I know who is home on my area and who is not. I can tell you the daily habits of 90% of my residents. 99% of the time, the routine never changes. And if you are observant enough about little changes as you pull up to the house you know exactly how the stop is going to go down.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
just sayin that when they are lookin to thin the herd, its the little things that cause the problems.

you enter left at back door, but the customer meets you at the front while you are walking by, but yet it still shows at back door?

the case could be made for falsification of delivery records.

maybe by itself, not too much to worry about, but couple that with other minor charges, and they will paint you as a dishonest employee.

seen it done.

thats why so many drivers on this site say the work is simple.

do the job by the book. do it that way every day. and do your job every day like they were watching you.

in the end, its the best way.

d

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I have one clipboard for each of my 3 delivery areas--that way I don't have to change sheets and carbons when I cross over delivery areas. This is especially efficient while delivering the NDA. I sheet my pkgs at the delivery address and my next address as I am walking back to the pkg car. For stops with multiple pkgs from the same shipper, I sheet the shipper number for the first pkg and only the ID numbers for the rest to save time. When its raining, and I don't need a signature, I will sheet the pkgs in the car and leave my clipboard behind to keep the paper and carbons nice and dry:wink2:

Re-Raise

How does a GPS time study figure walking distances if we are all scanning and stop completing differently?

I don't want to be deceptive , I just want the credit for a walk up three flights of steps for example to an upstairs apartment and back to the vehicle.

And if they want me to walk long driveways I want them to know that is where the time went, not spent in the vehicle.

satellitedriver

Now we all know that we work in different areas, and that each of our UPS's varies according to certain rules. I want to know what the rule of thumb is for hitting stop complete. Do you hit stop complete while still inside the business/at the front door of a resi? Do you wait till you get back to the pkg car? Do you wait till back inside the pkg car or wait till right before you're about to pull away?

For this matter, let me also ask about when we scan pkgs. Is it done in the pkg car or at the delivery point?

I usually scan the pkgs as I put them on the handcart and have the board ready for signature by the time I reach the customer. I scan single pkgs as I'm walking to the delivery point. This includes resi's, as I want the GPS in the board to show that I carried the board all the way to the door.
I used to leave the board in the pkg car for all my driver releases, but don't do this anymore.
All of the above, depending on the stop.
The only true caveat is when I know there is a bad dog around. I stop complete in my car, so that when I have to hit an attacking dog, no wrong button is pushed on my DIAD.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
How does a GPS time study figure walking distances if we are all scanning and stop completing differently?

I don't want to be deceptive , I just want the credit for a walk up three flights of steps for example to an upstairs apartment and back to the vehicle.

And if they want me to walk long driveways I want them to know that is where the time went, not spent in the vehicle.
If you have to go to floor 3 to deliver a pkg then you should be putting floor 3 in your diad next to room number to get the extra allowance. But I agree, I scan leaving the truck and usually close somewhere between the house and truck on the way back.

tarbar66

You are correct here DB..... the methods I mentioned in my earlier post came straight from their 340 methods list.... I have a copy right here on my computer for a reference guide since I had 3 OJS rides this past year.... I wanted to make sure I was as close to perfect with them for my performance rides.

Were your 3 OJS rides on consecutive days because you asked (filed) for relief from being over 9.5? I hope your delivery skills were great and you got the results that you wanted.

browniehound

According to official UPS methods, you should not scan packages while in the truck. If can safely be done (ie- 1 small box), sheet pkg up on the way to the customer. If not, scanning should be done at delivery point (obtaining signature first when possible). Stop complete should be done as soon as you take your first steps heading back to your truck.

Tourist is right, the method is not to sheet at the car. I tend to follow this method except for some house calls when its raining cats and dogs. I can't stand when the DIAD gets wet and interferes with the laser.

I was trained to load the hand cart with the labels faceing out when posssible and scan the packages while waiting for the elevator or a reciever.

I never really understood the method of getting the signature first. First of all, now with EDD you have to scan one package to open the stop. Next, it causes confusion and questions from the customer that is very aggrivating. What I mean is, they look at the DIAD and see 1 package and then see 12 on their dock. I just don't have the patience for this.

I also don't have the patience for the reciever that counts and re-counts his packages. He's a reciever making $12 an hour, what the hell does he care about how many parcels he recieved? Its not like I'm charging him for each package and he's getting shorted, lol. Get a life your job is not that important, ha ha.