When do you stop complete?

Big Babooba

Tourist is right, the method is not to sheet at the car. I tend to follow this method except for some house calls when its raining cats and dogs. I can't stand when the DIAD gets wet and interferes with the laser.

I was trained to load the hand cart with the labels faceing out when posssible and scan the packages while waiting for the elevator or a reciever.

I never really understood the method of getting the signature first. First of all, now with EDD you have to scan one package to open the stop. Next, it causes confusion and questions from the customer that is very aggrivating. What I mean is, they look at the DIAD and see 1 package and then see 12 on their dock. I just don't have the patience for this.

I also don't have the patience for the reciever that counts and re-counts his packages. He's a reciever making $12 an hour, what the hell does he care about how many parcels he recieved? Its not like I'm charging him for each package and he's getting shorted, lol. Get a life your job is not that important, ha ha.
Maybe he doesn't want to be out of a job making $0 per hour.

Big Babooba

All of the above, depending on the stop.
The only true caveat is when I know there is a bad dog around. I stop complete in my car, so that when I have to hit an attacking dog, no wrong button is pushed on my DIAD.
Keep a supply of M-80s on hand. They're much more fun than hitting a dog!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I also don't have the patience for the reciever that counts and re-counts his packages. He's a reciever making $12 an hour, what the hell does he care about how many parcels he recieved? Its not like I'm charging him for each package and he's getting shorted, lol. Get a life your job is not that important, ha ha.
well lets see. that is the attitude of the same ups driver that will scan 53 packages and only put 51 on the dock. he then takes the other two home, and all is well, because he got a signature on them.

or even scan the one left in the truck after you get him to sign for the packages he did get, but now it shows all the packages. problem is he now shows he signed for the package you are stealing.

wait till you had to follow a driver that was dishonest by scanning 4 of the 5 packages a customer was getting, and one that he delivered was not scanned, while the one he kept was one of the ones he did scan. the customer signs for four, and sees four, but he just signed for the one the driver is taking home to mama, and one that he did get, he did not sign for.

when delivering to people that have been burned by some of the creeps that have worked for us, they demand to actually see the shipper numbers in the diad, and demand to see you hit stop complete in front of them. we have damaged the trust that the customer had, and the driver that follows has to pay the price.

luckly, these vermin dont last too long.

so again, follow the methods. it can keep you out of a ton of trouble.

d

Old Shoes

The way it's done in a time study......Res. del. do not scan package till you get to door. When you get to stop tap your horn, secure trk, unlock bulkhead, select pkg from 30 inch selection area with one foot in batters box, proceed to house yell UPS! Set pkg on porch or where ever you are going to dr it, scan, hit dr, porch, then return to trk. I know I do alot while I'm walking, but if you trip, slip or fall it's your fault. Bussiness stop, yell UPS when you enter, if someone there get them to sign first then scan pkg, stop complete, then leave. I know that's how it's supposed to be done but alot of us don't do it that way. But as far as the GPS and if they track your time between stops which sometimes they do. That's why you want to hit stop complete at the point not back at the car or while walking. Hope that helps.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have one clipboard for each of my 3 delivery areas--that way I don't have to change sheets and carbons when I cross over delivery areas. This is especially efficient while delivering the NDA. I sheet my pkgs at the delivery address and my next address as I am walking back to the pkg car. For stops with multiple pkgs from the same shipper, I sheet the shipper number for the first pkg and only the ID numbers for the rest to save time. When its raining, and I don't need a signature, I will sheet the pkgs in the car and leave my clipboard behind to keep the paper and carbons nice and dry:wink2:

Very good methods, now please set your clock ahead 20 years.:greedy:

flltmmr

Okay, I know I have only been driving for 3 years, but I'm confused...does it really make a huge difference, other than on an OJS day, when you scan your first pkg for bulk/heavy stops or resi's? I have never given this any thought and just assumed it didn't matter. The only thing I knew regarding SC was when I did my 30days I was told to SC as soon as you get a sig/DR a pkg so I could look in EDD at my next stops on the way back to the car so I knew where I was going thus making it less likely to waste time when I got back to the car and/or to avoid looking at the DIAD while driving. I had no idea it could make a diff in time allowance!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It didn't matter when a time study person would walk with you to measure the distance to your delivery points. Now that GPS and Google Earth are being used for time studies, we don't know what point is being measured as the delivery point. The way you deliver now shouldn't matter on your allowance but it might down the road if that info is used for a new time study. That's my take on it. BM

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I'm confused...does it really make a huge difference, other than on an OJS day, when you scan your first pkg for bulk/heavy stops or resi's
yes it does.

you now have an every day ojs. its called the diad.

everything you do every minute of the day is time stamped.

the methods way of delivering is the way they will judge your day. if the methods say that you will scan the package at the door, and anounce ups, place the package, turn and begin the walk back and hit stop complete, that is what they expect to see.

if you in turn, sheet the package, and hit stop complete in the package car, then deliver the package, the time between this stop and the next will be off, especially if the walk is long.

remember, with the advent of all the technology, gps, etc, every day is an ojs. they can sit at the computer and "see" everything several drivers are doing at the same time, in pretty much real time.

as a rookie, this phase of your employment is a time to unlearn what you have been taught, and learn bad habits. dont fall into this trap. continue what was taught, not what others are doing, or what you think is better.

so do your job like they pay you to do it. by the book.

it will save you a ton of grief later on.

d

browniehound

Maybe he doesn't want to be out of a job making $0 per hour.

Its not the question Big booba. The method is to get the signature first. If I was to hand the DIAD to a reciever with zero packages showing and ask him to sign, I would have a 10 minute arugument with him everyday. "Why does it say 0 packages when there is 12 here?" Do you have time for this? I know I don't.

How would he end up making 0$/hour? Have you ever heard of a reciever being fired in your career for signing for parcels? Has there ever been an instance where you didn't deliver the packages someone signed for? My answer would be no.

What do they think, I'm hiding a box of their screws on the truck?

I never understand people. I can go into one office with 15 NDA letters and boxes, and anyone will sign for anything. Then, I can go to another office and everyone will run from me like I have the plague. What do these people think is going to happen to them? Do think they are going to get arrested?

I walk into an office with a NDA envelope and ask the first person I see to sign. I just love when I hear "hold on, I can't but I will find someone who can". Its 10:21 and I still have another stop to complete. Why THE HECK CAN'T YOU? Its a friggin envelope that I'm handing to you? Just sign for it you ignorant little man!!!

Good Grief!!

browniehound

Stop carrying your DIAD upsidedown.

C'mon Cement, are really going to bust my --- on this? Even if I held it rightside up its the laser is going to get wet in a pouring rain walking up a 50 yard driveway. Most times I'm carrying something called a parcel so the DIAD is on my belt clip and gets soaked on both sides. What do you advise?

browniehound

well lets see. that is the attitude of the same ups driver that will scan 53 packages and only put 51 on the dock. he then takes the other two home, and all is well, because he got a signature on them.

or even scan the one left in the truck after you get him to sign for the packages he did get, but now it shows all the packages. problem is he now shows he signed for the package you are stealing.

wait till you had to follow a driver that was dishonest by scanning 4 of the 5 packages a customer was getting, and one that he delivered was not scanned, while the one he kept was one of the ones he did scan. the customer signs for four, and sees four, but he just signed for the one the driver is taking home to mama, and one that he did get, he did not sign for.

when delivering to people that have been burned by some of the creeps that have worked for us, they demand to actually see the shipper numbers in the diad, and demand to see you hit stop complete in front of them. we have damaged the trust that the customer had, and the driver that follows has to pay the price.

luckly, these vermin dont last too long.

so again, follow the methods. it can keep you out of a ton of trouble.

d

D, this never crossed my mind because I never thought of doing or would never do it. First, the method is to get the signature first with 0 packages showing on the screen, then we are to scan the packages. How do you explain that to the reciever?

Second, some situations force me not to follow this method. The reciever stands there while I scan each package and hand it to him. He then insists on counting each parcel. Sometimes he counts wrong. Sometimes he counts 4 times before he gets it right on each parcel I scanned and handed to him.

Then, he still can get it right so his says "never mind" and just signs. Why go through this 5 minute labor if you're just going to sign anyway??? I don't have time for this non-sense. Did you when you were a driver?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
D, ....... First, the method is to get the signature first with 0 packages showing on the screen, then we are to scan the packages. How do you explain that to the reciever?
the methods are there for a framework or guideline. there will be times and deliveries where the actual scanning and signature has to change a bit due to customer needs.

if the customer is available as you arrive, the reason to get signature first is that he/she might be called away, making you wait for the return, or having to chase him down.

most of the time, i was faster than the customer, and was sheeting the packages as they answered the door. i would finish the scans, and hand it to the customer.
at no time did i wait to hit stop complete though, it was done as soon as i clarified the signature.
this never crossed my mind because I never thought of doing or would never do it
now, as far as you not thinking like this, i never did either. but there are a few bad apples that really screw up trust for the rest of us. kinda like the few managers you can really trust, have what they have worked on their while life, ruined within a few minutes by someone that is not honest.

following a driver like this is very tough time wise, as i have had to scan packages, show each one in the board to the customer, and hit stop complete in front of the customer, then the next day, bring a hard copy back to the customer the next day.

it sucks.

d