When does that 30 day clock start ticking ?

Hi, been lurking for a while, I've picked up a tip or two from here, Thanks!

I have a question. Hired as a 22.4 driver, Finished Intergrad, 9/13 was told to report to Work 9/24. When I arrived I was told to sit in a room after about 1 hour The building manager came in introduced himself, gave a quick safety speech then took everyone's number and said he would call us.

A week went by I contacted HR she gave me another start date 10/8. When I showed up noticed a handful of these guys were here the last time I came. Everyone had the same story no callback. This time we sat in the room for 3 hours and got the same speech, from the same person, with the same outcome - let me take your number I will call you to set up an observation ride.

At this point what should I do?
Should I be getting paid for those 4-hours ?
When does the 30-day probationary period before I can join the union start?
Has anyone had to qualify during peak season?

Appreciate any insight thanks

PT Car Washer

I have a question. Hired as a 22.4 driver, Finished Intergrad, 9/13 was told to report to Work 9/24. When I arrived I was told to sit in a room after about 1 hour The building manager came in introduced himself, gave a quick safety speech then took everyone's number and said he would call us.

A week went by I contacted HR she gave me another start date 10/8. When I showed up noticed a handful of these guys were here the last time I came. Everyone had the same story no callback. This time we sat in the room for 3 hours and got the same speech, from the same person, with the same outcome - let me take your number I will call you to set up an observation ride.

You should be paid for your meeting time but your 30 days will not start until you are actually on car. Could be your center has no open training routes at this time.

Indecisi0n

HonoredFaroffEuropeanfiresalamander-small.gif

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thanks for the info.
I thought the hard part was getting through training, its difficult to get training started.
They did the same to me. Finished class 21st Aug. 2009, they said no open routes . I was already FT 22.3 combo and went back to that job. Did not start FT driving until October and a lot of what we learned and practiced was gone. (Class of 4). Two out of 4 were trained and sent back inside.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Why the bold lettering? You had something better to do?

Why the bold lettering? You had something better to do?

Obviously not... the reason for the post is cause I have nothing but time on my hands lol

I did however get a call from the Building Manager. I am to Report Monday for observation ride then training Tues/Wed/Thurs. The count down begins.

MattM

I believe your 30 is only on days driving. So definitely keep track of that. They may spread it out for you to drive one day a week through peak and DQ you.

Good luck.

I know a guy who took 3-4 months to qualify but got it. So it's possible. On non driving days, he was preload.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I believe your 30 is only on days driving. So definitely keep track of that. They may spread it out for you to drive one day a week through peak and DQ you.

Good luck.

I know a guy who took 3-4 months to qualify but got it. So it's possible. On non driving days, he was preload.
That's interesting. Here they had to keep you on the road and same route 30 consecutive working days. If they moved you or put an off day in between, you were golden! They couldn't DQ you if they didn't adhere to the above rules.

Here also, your wage progression began the first day you delivered a ground package. If you did utility work 2 years ago, and then nothing in between, didn't matter. You had 2 years into your wage progression done. So when I started, the progression to top pay was 1 year. I utility drove a few times over a year before I was hired full time. After my 30 day probation, I was at top pay immediately.