When is it time to give up?

Johney

I haven't met anybody yet who has retired that didn't get a job of some kind just for the fact of being board and getting fat:happy2:. Good luck with whatever you decide DS, I too think as you do sometimes. I am close to feeders(after 20+ years) but not there yet and 22.3 jobs are not bid anymore (at least here).

old levi's

blank space
DS, Is it primarily a physical consideration or could a big factor be all the crap we have to deal with now. You are younger than me so I know how tough it can be. I plan on doing this as long as my health will allow. But I will not let these sumbeaches tear me down mentally.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't like the idea of not working at all, so I figure I'll always do something.

As will I. We can't go from being right out straight to shutting it down completely.

My daughter and son in law are planning on buying a duplex and have invited me to live in one half while they live in the other until they can afford to buy a single family home with the help of the rental income.

I like working with numbers and have thought about working for a tax preparation firm.

texan

DS you seem to post with much common sense and demonstrate an excellent demeanor.
You should have no problem in a transition in the future.

What really interest you? What are your dreams? Do not reply in forum as others might mock or make fun.
Those are personal and no one will cheer you on, but yourself, and your understanding of your Creator.

Think about fulfilling those interest and dreams.

old levi's

blank space
And, you could do yard work for more. Let me get you a Mountain Dew.

Clarification to all

This post was intended for that smartass over9five and was in no manner directed toward DS.
I, better than many here, knows how it feels to be long in the tooth and still doing this job and would not give a flippant answer to another in those same shoes.

texan

As will I. We can't go from being right out straight to shutting it down completely.

My daughter and son in law are planning on buying a duplex and have invited me to live in one half while they live in the other until they can afford to buy a single family home with the help of the rental income.

I like working with numbers and have thought about working for a tax preparation firm.

May it be so sir. Many need help with taxes, including me. Sound advice is hard to find.
You should start with doing a few this year on volunteer bases for seniors and see how it goes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

May it be so sir. Many need help with taxes, including me. Sound advice is hard to find.
You should start with doing a few this year on volunteer bases for seniors and see how it goes.

I would love to but it would have to be limited to the weekends due to work. There is a group that does this at one of our local senior centers.

It irritates me to no end to see people who could easily do their taxes on their own at no cost to them go to one of those tax prep companies with the lure of a refund anticipation loan and get ripped off. Most of these people have very simple tax returns and qualify for free e-file based on their incomes and would get their refund within 8-14 days.

texan

I would love to but it would have to be limited to the weekends due to work. There is a group that does this at one of our local senior centers.

It irritates me to no end to see people who could easily do their taxes on their own at no cost to them go to one of those tax prep companies with the lure of a refund anticipation loan and get ripped off. Most of these people have very simple tax returns and qualify for free e-file based on their incomes and would get their refund within 8-14 days.

It will be hard, but you start to share this with a few face-to-face on weekends this year.
Many are just scared to do it on their own and seek council and competence.
Many others that want that instant refund have no discipline. It might be good to open a year round
financial counseling service that does not charge much, but changes lives.

Klein was terminated in a Boston Pizza for drinking on the job.
The sup went out of his way to drive there and fire him for taking his lunch.
He does basically nothing.He posts a lot of Canadian propoganda and knows all the best sites for deals on flights and cat food.

LIAR! It was not his fault! It's never his fault! You're probably an American immigrant smuggling guns and vegi-dogs into Canada! Blasphemy!

Raw

Raw Member
People I used to work with that retired seem very content. The ones who still had to work after retirement have easy jobs, one being a car part delivery guy for a car dealership and another driving a big street sweeper/cleaner truck for the city, probaly some kind of pension for that job also. Good luck! ( no canada jokes! )

moreluck

golden ticket member
DS, Only you and Deb know what you need to make it. I liked the downsizing suggestions. One of the first things we were told as new retirees was to pay the house off....try to eliminate debt all together.. If that's not at all an option, then there's your answer......you have to work at something. List the things you love to do and then look for a place that will pay you for doing it.

It takes a lot to be retired. Maybe you can find a job in music. Check recording studios and other music industry establishments. Most importantly, don't burn bridges and don't leave before you have something else lined up. Good luck with the journey.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Al this retirement talk to me sounds silly. I personally am aiming for the stars and going after Marty's record. I figured that would be my best chance to make the InsideUPS mag since I have exhausted all my resources at trying to make it into the calendar.

texan

Al this retirement talk to me sounds silly. I personally am aiming for the stars and going after Marty's record. I figured that would be my best chance to make the InsideUPS mag since I have exhausted all my resources at trying to make it into the calendar.

Tough record to beat (Marty) 63 years. Not impossible, but tough
[video=youtube;iopPGQOC41g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iopPGQOC41g[/video]

raceanoncr

I haven't met anybody yet who has retired that didn't get a job of some kind just for the fact of being board and getting fat:happy2:. Good luck with whatever you decide DS, I too think as you do sometimes. I am close to feeders(after 20+ years) but not there yet and 22.3 jobs are not bid anymore (at least here).

Johney, meet raceanoncr. raceanoncr, meet Johney.

Now you can't say you haven't met anybody that's retired that didn't "get a job of some kind just for the fact of being board and getting fat". You just met ME!

Retired in Sept of '10, after 32 yrs in and 63 yrs old. Not bored yet and don't plan to. Nor do I plan to get a job for same reason. No debts, got lots o hobbies, enjoy my time at home, time with wife I didn't have before.

Johney

Johney, meet raceanoncr. raceanoncr, meet Johney.

Now you can't say you haven't met anybody that's retired that didn't "get a job of some kind just for the fact of being board and getting fat". You just met ME!

Retired in Sept of '10, after 32 yrs in and 63 yrs old. Not bored yet and don't plan to. Nor do I plan to get a job for same reason. No debts, got lots o hobbies, enjoy my time at home, time with wife I didn't have before.
I stand corrected! Pleasure to meet you! Congrats on the marriage and your accomplishments.

bbsam

Staff member
You could go to work for a Fedex Ground contractor and not drive. Use your route knowledge and obvious people skills. You wouldn't technically be working for the competition. You'd be a logistics consultant for several contractors. Throw in some training duties and safety meetings and keep the pension and voila! Easy street! Seriously. You have talents. It's all in the marketing.:happy2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Be a real man and do the whole time in a package car. Run an hour bonus at 84 and show the youngsters how it's done.