When is it time to give up?

HomeDelivery

I was going a bit off-topic & was talking about your friend that's still in NJ... I'm glad you got out of NJ & went to a place with less taxes.

everyone in my block sold their homes at a loss because they don't want the high property taxes anymore and followed in your footsteps to get out; some just purchased homes in NJ before the home market bubble bursts & is now stuck here for a number of years

The Milkman

I was going a bit off-topic & was talking about your friend that's still in NJ... I'm glad you got out of NJ & went to a place with less taxes.

everyone in my block sold their homes at a loss because they don't want the high property taxes anymore and followed in your footsteps to get out; some just purchased homes in NJ before the home market bubble bursts & is now stuck here for a number of years

I got out just in time..Came to Az 1-08...couple of weeks , found a nice place...Went back to Jersey put my house in market on 2-14..closed on house in AZ on 2-14... closed on house in Jersey 4-26 ,Got here 5-08...Just in the nick of time...900 sq. ft house Jersey property taxes $4500...2000 sq. ft in Az $1100..... :happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
later this month i'll have 28 years with the company. I can remember when i was in my late teens,and early 20's thinking that as soon as i could retire i'd be gone as quick as i hit 30 years,and if early Retirement was ever offered i;d be gone even quicker......................but now i have no real idea when i;ll retire. I stay in great shape due to the job, I LOVE being challenged every day, i get 7 weeks off a year,free benefits,I know my route like the back of my hand, I like most of the people on my route, i get to pet everyone's dogs .My kids are grown and gone so the money aint shabby either.
I'm thinking a few more years ,when i hit my mid 50's..............maybe................who knows <g>

The Milkman

later this month i'll have 28 years with the company. I can remember when i was in my late teens,and early 20's thinking that as soon as i could retire i'd be gone as quick as i hit 30 years,and if early Retirement was ever offered i;d be gone even quicker......................but now i have no real idea when i;ll retire. I stay in great shape due to the job, I LOVE being challenged every day, i get 7 weeks off a year,free benefits,I know my route like the back of my hand, I like most of the people on my route, i get to pet everyone's dogs .My kids are grown and gone so the money aint shabby either.
I'm thinking a few more years ,when i hit my mid 50's..............maybe................who knows <g>

I also loved my rte..same things you enjoy..Problem is we all DIE someday..After seeing loved ones passing away or coming down with some serious illnesses over the yrs you have to start thinking of your own mortality..The later in life you retire the chances are your aches and pains will increase, so to enjoy ones life to the fullest...Enjoy it while you physically can instead of using it to deliver pkgs and deal with all Big Brown throws at you..Average life expectancy is 70..you retire at 60...you have on avg...120 months to live.... I left at 55 so I hopefully have 180 months..As you know the months fly by...you look in the mirror one day and see and old man's face and say to yourself...............Time flies.........I can't but it..........can't get it back....but wish I had more of it..........I wasted the time I have on this earth to trudge along delivering pkgs or driving feeders for what??????? I am so blessed to have made it to this point in life and many others older than me with more $$$ than me are miserable at their jobs wishing they could start enjoying their golden years but unfortunatly many wait to long and enjoy very little of it..How many time have you heard of someone retiring then maybe a yr or so later has died?? I have......Nice to read some Obits and hear that someone retired 25 or 30 yrs ago..they had the right Idea:choir:

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Right there with you DS.

In July I will have 28 years in package cars. I will be 55 years old which is what you have to have to qualify for health insurance in Central States. Its not so much my body wearing out (which it is), but all the stupid new rules, regs, and telematics. Add to that all the management that doesn't have a clue what it is to drive a package car all day long. When all the management is gone that actually came up through the ranks instead of being hired right out of college are gone, this company will be a joke to work for. They hire em right out of college for a reason. They pay em next to nothing compared to what a promoted driver would have been making after a few years. My oncar sups here have been around a few years longer than me. They don't mind telling me their true feelings. They are even more ready to get out than I am.

If my 401k gets up to a certain amt this year, I am gone. I use to think that if I was going to work after retirement that I might as well not retire. It is not easy to find a 31.00 hour job with bennies. Now I have decided to get out and enjoy life while I can. Money ain't everything and these 10 and 11 hour days are for the birds. Good luck with whatever you do.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
1 year of local sort, will start my 34 year of package car in about a month. I always said as soon as I hit peer of 80 I was gone. Well I'm at peer of 87 and still pounding the streets. The last few years of poor returns on 401k's and wife needing a few surgeries kinda makes you gun shy of pulling the trigger on retirement. I will be out before peak of 2012. One of my fellow drivers who retired a few years back hit the nail on the head when he said ( you only get so many summers in your life ) Every day is Saturday for him and he is loving life.
My advice to younger workers is to put as much as you can into your 401k and also start a Roth IRA early in your career. Don't depend on just a pension for retirement.

The Milkman

Right there with you DS.

In July I will have 28 years in package cars. I will be 55 years old which is what you have to have to qualify for health insurance in Central States. Its not so much my body wearing out (which it is), but all the stupid new rules, regs, and telematics. Add to that all the management that doesn't have a clue what it is to drive a package car all day long. When all the management is gone that actually came up through the ranks instead of being hired right out of college are gone, this company will be a joke to work for. They hire em right out of college for a reason. They pay em next to nothing compared to what a promoted driver would have been making after a few years. My oncar sups here have been around a few years longer than me. They don't mind telling me their true feelings. They are even more ready to get out than I am.

If my 401k gets up to a certain amt this year, I am gone. I use to think that if I was going to work after retirement that I might as well not retire. It is not easy to find a 31.00 hour job with bennies. Now I have decided to get out and enjoy life while I can. Money ain't everything and these 10 and 11 hour days are for the birds. Good luck with whatever you do.

:youreright:

The Milkman

1 year of local sort, will start my 34 year of package car in about a month. I always said as soon as I hit peer of 80 I was gone. Well I'm at peer of 87 and still pounding the streets. The last few years of poor returns on 401k's and wife needing a few surgeries kinda makes you gun shy of pulling the trigger on retirement. I will be out before peak of 2012. One of my fellow drivers who retired a few years back hit the nail on the head when he said ( you only get so many summers in your life ) Every day is Saturday for him and he is loving life.
My advice to younger workers is to put as much as you can into your 401k and also start a Roth IRA early in your career. Don't depend on just a pension for retirement.

:its_all_good: