When someone at work is upset/depressed, do you reach out?

Today I walked up to a guy who constantly gets crapped on by management, does every little odd and end, is capable of quite a lot but it seems he's the resident whipping boy. I don't know what his job title is but he does everything from move trailers and cars, to scanning to belt, or load unload. He wears a driver uniform idk. But he takes a lot of sh;t, and he doesn't deserve that.

Over the last week I've seen his general demeanor go from somewhat-off-putting to why hasn't he gone postal yet... then management was on him and everyone's overloaded and overworked and they keep changing start times. Last two weeks have been a mess.

So belt goes dead. He brings me a scanner for my send-agains and I stop him and say hey, thanks man, I really appreciate it and appreciate everything you do here. You always seem busy and overworked. Thanks for taking your time to help me it means a lot to me as a fellow worker and as a person.

He solemnly responds "I'm always busy and they're always up my a**", so I say "well hey, your hard work doesn't go unnoticed. I see what you have to put up with every day and you're always there for people. I appreciate you and appreciate all the hard work you do. It's nice to have someone here be on top of things because management never is".

I think it was the first time I ever seen him smile...!

When you ladies and gents see someone upset, depressed, or generally out of character do you reach out to them? When was the last time you did or said something kind to a fellow worker?

Cheers!

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
There is a 49 year old dude on the pick next to me. We share dj duties on the Bluetooth speaker we place between us and joke around a bunch.

I dropped some lines to him about being stressed about my business and he kinda spilled his guts to me about personal stuff. We ended the conversation with a fist bump, and went back to work.

Little things like that was kinda cool to me. Makes it a little better when I realize the fact that I see him more than my own family.

Lol haha dookie, I'd like to hope he's not at that point. He's a great guy, I've always liked him. He never has anything mean to say about anyone and does his job well. I hate when people get taken advantage of or taken for granted. The place would be more of a mess without him. One of the older managers is getting on in years and he seems to help "remind" the older dude of where things are at or what needs to be done or what areas need help. Always on point.

Last week someone was saying hello to another coworker and dude was working in a car, so he thought they were saying hi to him as they passed by. He said hi, realized it wasn't for him, and looked upset. I felt soooo bad for the guy!

I came around the corner and said "hey man good morning sorry I didn't think anyone would say hi to me, hope I didn't offend" and gave him a fist bump. It's the little things man. Little white lie sure, but probably made his day saving that embarrassment. I hope he sticks around they always sh;t on him for other departments mistakes, and although I don't know his title I know for sure that ain't his job.

rod

Retired 22 years
Only if it was one of the few good looking gals who I worked with over the years. Tell Daddy your problems sweety.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Today I walked up to a guy who constantly gets crapped on by management, does every little odd and end, is capable of quite a lot but it seems he's the resident whipping boy. I don't know what his job title is but he does everything from move trailers and cars, to scanning to belt, or load unload. He wears a driver uniform idk. But he takes a lot of sh;t, and he doesn't deserve that.

Over the last week I've seen his general demeanor go from somewhat-off-putting to why hasn't he gone postal yet... then management was on him and everyone's overloaded and overworked and they keep changing start times. Last two weeks have been a mess.

So belt goes dead. He brings me a scanner for my send-agains and I stop him and say hey, thanks man, I really appreciate it and appreciate everything you do here. You always seem busy and overworked. Thanks for taking your time to help me it means a lot to me as a fellow worker and as a person.

He solemnly responds "I'm always busy and they're always up my a**", so I say "well hey, your hard work doesn't go unnoticed. I see what you have to put up with every day and you're always there for people. I appreciate you and appreciate all the hard work you do. It's nice to have someone here be on top of things because management never is".

I think it was the first time I ever seen him smile...!

When you ladies and gents see someone upset, depressed, or generally out of character do you reach out to them? When was the last time you did or said something kind to a fellow worker?

Cheers!

good karma and thanks for reaching out. i hated how management bullied people. usually people that wouldn't stick up for themselves so I would and that caused a lot of my problems over the years.

most employees learn how to play the game after awhile but some don't and they can suffer greatly. some have suicidal thoughts. 2 of our drivers went thru with it.

nothing can be wrong from trying help someone especially when it is coming from the heart.

plus 10 for you.

I see some of these guys and they've got PTSD or bipolar or anxiety and I get it, I've gone through the ringer for my health issue and it was not easy.

It doesn't help that they play games with you and manipulate you. It sounds crazy to anyone who doesn't work for them. Even my wife asked me twice if I was sure they were really doing it. One guy is on 2 grams of seroquel a day and they almost broke him, but he's military PTSD so he likes orderly things done repeated over and over at the same time day place and slot in a car. He's a good man and it's why he's great at his job. Our manager is former military so thankfully it's hands off his hire. My supes would ruin him.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I always did. Because I care about people. A simple how ya doing, and dont let them get to you its just a job. Sometimes its a health issue with themselves or in their family. And then a demanding career on top of it all makes for a rough day. Never hurts to be kind, especially in a hostile environment.