When someone at work is upset/depressed, do you reach out?

Good news everybody! It looks like this guy has been happier at work than I've ever seen him. He's no longer mopey, or cussing to himself while working, or being upset with being management's whipping boy.. and they're giving him less grief too.. dude looks younger and he's smiling now. He got a haircut and trimmed up his beard, doesn't look like he's gotten 5 hours of sleep in the last month. We still do morning fist bumps and homey even seems cheerful with other coworkers.

Maybe reaching out helped, maybe he got over something unrelated, but it's nice to see Homey be the Homey I knew when I started.

It's the little things brothers and sisters. Take a moment to thank someone for their hard work; or just sat hello if they look like they need one.

Super Powers

Reach out to these coworkers, in our hub a driver that was being endlessly hounded about her performance committed suicide. She was a driver for 23 years. People knew she was depresse,but, nobody saw this coming. She was threatened with suspension the week before she did this.

Reach out to these coworkers, in our hub a driver that was being endlessly hounded about her performance committed suicide. She was a driver for 23 years. People knew she was depresse,but, nobody saw this coming. She was threatened with suspension the week before she did this.

JFC.

:blushing:

Sorry to hear about a fallen sister. I hope people in your center are OK, and ugh, her family and friends.

Hopefully she can now rest in peace.

:angel:

We had one guy here who told me that when he started years ago, management was so brutal to him and nobody did a thing.

He had planned of hanging himself on one of the slides with "not even good enough for packages" taped to his chest. He had even bought the wax in case instinctual reaction kicked in and ruined his plans.

What helped him? A coworker saw him teary-eyed and asked if he was OK and offered a free support group. Always help your neighbor ... means many things.

Stuff like this is why I think these people need to shut their cock holsters more often; or have some basic human :censored2:ing decency. I think the company needs to aggressively handle bad management and bullies in a better way (heck in any way). There's no reason teamsters should be driven to suicide or suicidal ideations.

If any of you are suffering bullying or harassment and you're spinning your wheels with the union and mgmt, you can say :censored2:it, and contact OSHA directly.

OSHA Adopts Workplace Anti-Bullying Policy

Workplace Violence - Department of Labor

U.S. Department of Labor -- HRC - DOL Workplace Violence Program - Appendices

National Suicide Prevention line for help finding counseling in your area:

1-800-273-8255

If you feel at immediate risk of harming yourself or others, contact 9-1-1, inform them you don't have a weapon, and when help arrives be in a well lit area with visible hands. Suicide by cop is one of the most haunting things law enforcement can endure.

There is always help. Maybe not good help or great help but always some form. If you don't feel you're getting the care you need, contact your insurance or refer to your policy for other clinics. There are free support groups and you don't even have to talk or introduce yourself. Sitting and listening is just as valuable as speaking. Talking to people who feel that way or have suffered the pain are usually easier to relate to than counselors. In my experience. Your mileage may vary.

"God be with you" and such..

Observer

Good info on the suicide prevention line- what is sad is that management does this deliberately and thinks it is funny. NO ONE deserves to be bullied. There had better be Karma for these sups. The same can be said for co-workers who look the other way and do nothing. Shame on them also. When a person is upset at work - the sups try to squash the problem - which is wrong as it will resurface later. Remember San Francisco from last year.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Good news everybody! It looks like this guy has been happier at work than I've ever seen him. He's no longer mopey, or cussing to himself while working, or being upset with being management's whipping boy.. and they're giving him less grief too.. dude looks younger and he's smiling now. He got a haircut and trimmed up his beard, doesn't look like he's gotten 5 hours of sleep in the last month. We still do morning fist bumps and homey even seems cheerful with other coworkers.

Maybe reaching out helped, maybe he got over something unrelated, but it's nice to see Homey be the Homey I knew when I started.

It's the little things brothers and sisters. Take a moment to thank someone for their hard work; or just sat hello if they look like they need one.
WDFD

over9five

Staff member
I really don't give a :censored2: about a coworkers personal problems. I'm there for work to make money.

To be honest I don't really care too much about anyone's personal problems. Their problems. Not mine.
I think he point that is being made is that their problem could become your problem, ala San Francisco.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Today I walked up to a guy who constantly gets crapped on by management, does every little odd and end, is capable of quite a lot but it seems he's the resident whipping boy. I don't know what his job title is but he does everything from move trailers and cars, to scanning to belt, or load unload. He wears a driver uniform idk. But he takes a lot of sh;t, and he doesn't deserve that.

Over the last week I've seen his general demeanor go from somewhat-off-putting to why hasn't he gone postal yet... then management was on him and everyone's overloaded and overworked and they keep changing start times. Last two weeks have been a mess.

So belt goes dead. He brings me a scanner for my send-agains and I stop him and say hey, thanks man, I really appreciate it and appreciate everything you do here. You always seem busy and overworked. Thanks for taking your time to help me it means a lot to me as a fellow worker and as a person.

He solemnly responds "I'm always busy and they're always up my a**", so I say "well hey, your hard work doesn't go unnoticed. I see what you have to put up with every day and you're always there for people. I appreciate you and appreciate all the hard work you do. It's nice to have someone here be on top of things because management never is".

I think it was the first time I ever seen him smile...!

When you ladies and gents see someone upset, depressed, or generally out of character do you reach out to them? When was the last time you did or said something kind to a fellow worker?

Cheers!
id punch him right in the penis

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I know what it’s like to feel like a worthless piece of crap that nobody wants around...mainly because that’s exactly what I am...so if I see someone looking like they’re having a bad day I’ll go and just say something completely off the wall inappropriate like “holy hell did you see that new clerk? I’d eat three feet of her poop just to see where it came from” takes the edge off :)

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I know what it’s like to feel like a worthless piece of crap that nobody wants around...mainly because that’s exactly what I am...so if I see someone looking like they’re having a bad day I’ll go and just say something completely off the wall inappropriate like “holy hell did you see that new clerk? I’d eat three feet of her poop just to see where it came from” takes the edge off :)

GriZly lol

What a loser