When someone at work is upset/depressed, do you reach out?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Usually , but not always, a suicidal person gives off signs. It's easy not to see them when we were all caught up with the business at hand or with our own problems.

But if you do see them , it's always best to try to help someone before it is too late.

It could be anyone that is just down . It's a win win. You can brighten someone's day and brighten yours as well.

Richard Cranium

Today I walked up to a guy who constantly gets crapped on by management, does every little odd and end, is capable of quite a lot but it seems he's the resident whipping boy. I don't know what his job title is but he does everything from move trailers and cars, to scanning to belt, or load unload. He wears a driver uniform idk. But he takes a lot of sh;t, and he doesn't deserve that.

Over the last week I've seen his general demeanor go from somewhat-off-putting to why hasn't he gone postal yet... then management was on him and everyone's overloaded and overworked and they keep changing start times. Last two weeks have been a mess.

So belt goes dead. He brings me a scanner for my send-agains and I stop him and say hey, thanks man, I really appreciate it and appreciate everything you do here. You always seem busy and overworked. Thanks for taking your time to help me it means a lot to me as a fellow worker and as a person.

He solemnly responds "I'm always busy and they're always up my a**", so I say "well hey, your hard work doesn't go unnoticed. I see what you have to put up with every day and you're always there for people. I appreciate you and appreciate all the hard work you do. It's nice to have someone here be on top of things because management never is".

I think it was the first time I ever seen him smile...!

When you ladies and gents see someone upset, depressed, or generally out of character do you reach out to them? When was the last time you did or said something kind to a fellow worker?

Cheers!
Bromance?

smurfybrown

happily retired
Today I walked up to a guy who constantly gets crapped on by management, does every little odd and end, is capable of quite a lot but it seems he's the resident whipping boy. I don't know what his job title is but he does everything from move trailers and cars, to scanning to belt, or load unload. He wears a driver uniform idk. But he takes a lot of sh;t, and he doesn't deserve that.

Over the last week I've seen his general demeanor go from somewhat-off-putting to why hasn't he gone postal yet... then management was on him and everyone's overloaded and overworked and they keep changing start times. Last two weeks have been a mess.

So belt goes dead. He brings me a scanner for my send-agains and I stop him and say hey, thanks man, I really appreciate it and appreciate everything you do here. You always seem busy and overworked. Thanks for taking your time to help me it means a lot to me as a fellow worker and as a person.

He solemnly responds "I'm always busy and they're always up my a**", so I say "well hey, your hard work doesn't go unnoticed. I see what you have to put up with every day and you're always there for people. I appreciate you and appreciate all the hard work you do. It's nice to have someone here be on top of things because management never is".

I think it was the first time I ever seen him smile...!

When you ladies and gents see someone upset, depressed, or generally out of character do you reach out to them? When was the last time you did or said something kind to a fellow worker?

Cheers!

smurfybrown

happily retired
One time I was at my 5:00 p/u loading up the cart at an Office Depot, and a lady who did copy/printing for her home business and had seen and chatted with me 2,3 times a week walked up and said "you need a hug", and then gave me one. To this day, I don't know why she felt compelled to do that, because I always put on a front and acted like everything was hunky-dory, even when it wasn't. I've always been a private person and never talked about family problems, failed relationships, etc, even with close friends let alone casual customer friends. (And of course because we are not to have excessive customer contact, lol, you know those few seconds at every stop add up to excess-over-allowed!)

It touched my heart that she did that.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
One time I was at my 5:00 p/u loading up the cart at an Office Depot, and a lady who did copy/printing for her home business and had seen and chatted with me 2,3 times a week walked up and said "you need a hug", and then gave me one. To this day, I don't know why she felt compelled to do that, because I always put on a front and acted like everything was hunky-dory, even when it wasn't. I've always been a private person and never talked about family problems, failed relationships, etc, even with close friends let alone casual customer friends. (And of course because we are not to have excessive customer contact, lol, you know those few seconds at every stop add up to excess-over-allowed!)

It touched my heart that she did that.

Did you get her number?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If something seems off with someone I always make an effort to make sure they are okay. Being a decent human is not a hard thing to do.
I thought for sups being a decent human was automatically off the table?

Ps. For some of us being a decent human being is practically torture.