When we beat the bosses

brownIEman

Please list the volume delivered per company. I'll be waiting.

Does this include how much we dump into the Post office?

Well, thanks for waiting.

UPS delivers about 16.3 million domestic packages/day
Fedex a bit above 4 million
USPS claims about 16.6 million packages (based on the 5.2 billion they say they deliver yearly) I would guess these do include the surepost/smartpost packages.

This is all based on the respective fact sheets...
UPS Fact Sheet

Express Fact Sheet - About FedEx

A Decade of Facts and Figures - Postal Facts

The current share of the domestic market claim I made is based on analysis done by this market research site :

United Parcel Service Inc Competition Market share by Company's Segment - CSIMarket

If you look at the chart under the market segment "Total U.S Domestic Package" you will see UPS market share listed as 23.69%

If you are so opposed to Surepost, make it a fight in the next contract. And like the thread states, you can again beat the bosses and make it go away if you really try hard. You might want to be prepared for most of that volume, and more, to go to Fedex Smartpost or directly back to the post office however.
Here is an interesting article about Surepost/Smartpost written from the perspective of a customer :

Pros and Cons of UPS SurePost, FedEx SmartPost

The salient point of the article is this -
"SurePost and SmartPost are available to businesses that ship at least 50 packages per week. In my ecommerce business, I found this volume requirement easy to meet by shifting from USPS Parcel Post and Priority Mail to UPS SurePost."

Note the customer was able to utilize surepost by diverting volume to UPS that was going directly to the USPS for the entire transportation. Are you saying you would like her to divert back?