When working in hot weather what do you think is adequate supply of water to have with you for your entire shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I drank about two gallons a day during the Summer. I would hit every drinking fountain around even if I wasn't thirsty. I always came to work ready, I didn't rely on UPS to supply me with essentials.
UPSwatersupply.jpeg

ManInBrown

At minimum one 16oz bottled water for every hour you are on road. 10 hour day, 10 bottled waters. On 90+ days I would bring 12-14 for a 9 hour day.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
These are 2 good questions for OSHA. You can call your area compliance office and in my experience they most likely will answer these types of questions over the phone.

What are your thoughts on the requirements stated in the OP?
Answer the question.

Fuzzy Brown

Spoiler alert: The company doesn’t care about you they put out all that “cool solutions” baloney as CYA so when you stroke out they can go into their default stance of blaming you just as they do with everything else that goes wrong.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
@Integrity please stop with your high and mighty attitude.

Ruth be old unless specifically passed as law, any thing Osha states will fall under the recent EPA vs West Virgina court case where the epa was fou d to regulate things that were not passed in law. So NO, UPS isnt actually responsible according to osha. Osha has no authority to make regulations that have not specifically been passed as a law.

How do you reconcile to the fact the UPS has no contractual obligation, and that an over reaching government entity doesnt actually have the authority to do anything?

The constitution gives Congress the power to establish regulatory agencies to make rules regarding the issues that are defined by the legislation that authorizes their creation. EPA vs West Virginia only clarified the limitations of the scope of the authority of the regulatory agencies. The main limitation is that they can't make overly broad regulations, those would require new laws. OSHA requiring employers to provide water where work is being performed is not an overly broad regulation.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
The constitution gives Congress the power to establish regulatory agencies to make rules regarding the issues that are defined by the legislation that authorizes their creation. EPA vs West Virginia only clarified the limitations of the scope of the authority of the regulatory agencies. The main limitation is that they can't make overly broad regulations, those would require new laws. OSHA requiring employers to provide water where work is being performed is not an overly broad regulation.
No. It stated that the epa can not make policy or enforce regulations that have not been passed by congress. Their job is to administer the codes and what not. Not create them.

So please show me the federal law, and or state and or local municipal codes/laws/statutes that state an employer must provide these things.

The time of Alphabet agencies creating/making policy, regaurdless of how common sense (workplace water, for instance) those policies are, is done.

Integrity

Binge Poster
No. It stated that the epa can not make policy or enforce regulations that have not been passed by congress. Their job is to administer the codes and what not. Not create them.

So please show me the federal law, and or state and or local municipal codes/laws/statutes that state an employer must provide these things.

The time of Alphabet agencies creating/making policy, regaurdless of how common sense (workplace water, for instance) those policies are, is done.
Summary of the Occupational Safety and Health Act | US EPA

Integrity

Binge Poster

What Is the Occupational Safety and Health Act?

Trying to prevent off topic hijack and derailment.

What are your thoughts on the requirements stated in the OP?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That defeats the whole purpose of having a legislative branch.
No, it doesn't. You can argue that with the way it's set up it can lead to abuse and lack of oversight, which it has. But regulations don't carry the weight of laws, and doing it this way makes it less impossible to keep up with ever changing conditions. If Congress had to pass laws for every regulation out there, they could never get it done. I, for one, kinda like that idea. But I won't pretend that the constitution doesn't grant power that it very clearly does.

oldngray

nowhere special
No, it doesn't. You can argue that with the way it's set up it can lead to abuse and lack of oversight, which it has. But regulations don't carry the weight of laws, and doing it this way makes it less impossible to keep up with ever changing conditions. If Congress had to pass laws for every regulation out there, they could never get it done. I, for one, kinda like that idea. But I won't pretend that the constitution doesn't grant power that it very clearly does.
Every time an agency gets sued for going beyond the law with regulations they lose

oldngray

nowhere special
Regulations are supposed to work within the framework of laws to fill in the little details. Not go beyond what the law says.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That was the intent.

Where does it grant this power?

"Article 1 section 1.

All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives."

That means they can pass laws, and they can't delegate their authority to the executive or judicial branches because of separation of powers. There is nothing stopping them from delegating it, in part, to subordinate agencies. EPA vs WV addressed the abuses to this. And there was another case recently that addressed agencies usurping judicial power as well.

Nah
That means they can pass laws, and they can't delegate their authority to the executive or judicial branches because of separation of powers. There is nothing stopping them from delegating it, in part, to subordinate agencies.
Those so called subordinate agencies are part of the executive which, as you mentioned, they cannot delegate their powers to. Furthermore, the full scope of congress' legislative authority is laid out in Article 1 section 8, and those 17 enumerated powers do not include the power to create legislative or regulatory agencies, be they part of the judicial, executive, or legislative branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.