When working in hot weather what do you think is adequate supply of water to have with you for your entire shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Sean O says UPS should provide water for all drivers plus electrolyte enhanced water during heat advisories. Plus fans.
1658469893539.gif

Trucker Clock

Do you have any experience dealing with OSHA in efforts to exercise your employee rights at UPS?

I do and how many times do I need to tell you that OSHA has absolutely no jurisdiction to enforce anything over CMV drivers.

OSHA cannot force UPS to supply, or even make available, water for most package car drivers and all feeder drivers.

The FMCSA has jurisdiction over CMV drivers, not OSHA.

And how many threads are you going to start, and make false and inaccurate claims in?

Steamer

True but too many of the sports drinks are little more than sugar water
Not if you make your own with drink mixes. And no not the alcoholic mixes you lushes! :happy-very:. Crush 5 calorie, Skittles 5 calorie. And many others. Give them a try. Like $1 for 8 packets. Great stuff and way cheaper than most anything else. Potassium Chloride (NO SALT BRAND or NUSALT) is like $4 for a 6 month supply. Sodium Chloride (SALT). I use pink himalayan salt. The rest you pretty much get in a normal diet. 1/4 teaspoon of the Nosalt/Nusalt and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt to like 2-3 packets of drink mix. Mix to your taste. It's really awesome. Making your own 0 calorie better than Gatoraide. I use vacuum sealed 32-40oz drink coolers, like $20 each on Amazon. Got some on sale for $10 one time.

The potassium we don't get enough of anyhow. The average American gets like 1700mg a day. And we are supposed to get 4700mg a day. That's why I use more Nosalt than sodium as well.

714a998a-796f-47dc-98f7-fdb6cab6d5ce.d49e73a5f256e43c6edf4ff006179aaa.jpeg
61D8tfjYoCL._SL1000_.jpg
81wqnZBbpZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
I drank about two gallons a day during the Summer. I would hit every drinking fountain around even if I wasn't thirsty. I always came to work ready, I didn't rely on UPS to supply me with essentials. View attachment 392810
I have found UPS management to be generally unreliable as well.

It is unfortunate the management employees of a company that makes billions per year has to have employees feel that they should incur this added expense because they are not fulfilling the OSHA requirements to pay for this.

IMO Their failure to fulfill this requirement is tantamount to stealing from their employees.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have found UPS management to be generally unreliable as well.

It is unfortunate the management employees of a company that makes billions per year has to have employees feel that they should incur this added expense because they are not fulfilling the OSHA requirements to pay for this.

IMO Their failure to fulfill this requirement is tantamount to stealing from their employees.
It's not that, I never thought the company should supply me with water while out on my route. I did take extra bottles of water if offered after the PCM. My small Hub had two ice machines and plenty of water fountains throughout the building. I had no restaurants in my delivery area so I always packed a lunch. I always made sure I had plenty of fluids during hot weather. I had a lot of customers offer me drinks throughout the day and I never turned down a cold bottle of water. I could never count on the ice machines to be working or have ice after certain greedy drivers filled up giant coolers before I got there. I would fill up several Nalgene bottles with ice and some kind of healthy fluids when I got home and freeze them solid overnight. I had cold drinks all day.

I don't think air conditioning in package cars would help either, I drove for 37 years with no problems. There does need to be better ventilation in the cargo area though, there is no excuse for not designing a better venting system.

Thebrownblob

It's not that, I never thought the company should supply me with water while out on my route. I did take extra bottles of water if offered after the PCM. My small Hub had two ice machines and plenty of water fountains throughout the building. I had no restaurants in my delivery area so I always packed a lunch. I always made sure I had plenty of fluids during hot weather. I had a lot of customers offer me drinks throughout the day and I never turned down a cold bottle of water. I could never count on the ice machines to be working or have ice after certain greedy drivers filled up giant coolers before I got there. I would fill up several Nalgene bottles with ice and some kind of healthy fluids when I got home and freeze them solid overnight. I had cold drinks all day.

I don't think air conditioning in package cars would help either, I drove for 37 years with no problems. There does need to be better ventilation in the cargo area though, there is no excuse for not designing a better venting system.
This is the way ☝️

Integrity

Binge Poster

I understand your position and your decisions.

Regardless of your personal view and your decision to not hold UPS to this standard, is it your opinion that OSHA require UPS to pay for and supply water per the regulations that have been presented here on the BC

Trucker Clock

Regardless of your personal view and your decision to not hold UPS to this standard, is it your opinion that OSHA require UPS to pay for and supply water per the regulations that have been presented here on the BC

I know you weren't responding to me, I think you are afraid to admit that you are wrong and keep deflecting the obvious.

UPS must supply water to their inside employees in the buildings, yes per OSHA regulations. But, UPS does not have to supply water to any driver who drives a commercial motor vehicle. This is over 90% of the drivers.

OSHA has even made it clear that they do not authority to impose their regulations over anybody if their working conditions is regulated by another Federal Agency.

CMV drivers are regulated by another Federal Agency, namely the FMCSA. OSHA cannot enforce their regulations over any CMV driver. But, feel free to fill your water jugs up before you leave with free water from UPS, and get plenty of water at any stop that you are at along the way. I'm sure there are no businesses that you deliver to that will deny you free water. But, this should not be an issue. Make sure you take plenty of free UPS water from the fountains with you before you leave.

Standards

Trucking industry is addressed in specific OSHA standards for recordkeeping and general industry. This section highlights OSHA standards and documents related to the trucking industry.

Straight from OSHA themselves.

OSHA is preempted by Section 4(b)1 of the OSH Act from enforcing its regulations if a working condition is regulated by another Federal agency.

For example:

• While traveling on public highways, the Department of Transportation (DOT) has jurisdiction. However, while loading and unloading trucks, OSHA regulations govern the safety and health of the workers and the responsibilities of employers to ensure their safety at the warehouse, at the dock, at the rig, at the construction site, at the airport terminal and in all places truckers go to deliver and pick up loads.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I worked for the company for 45 years, the two Hubs I worked out of always had water fountains, ice machines, and working sinks and toilets in the restrooms. So any OSHA requirements with facilities seem to be fulfilled to me. As a driver, we were offered water bottles and individual Gatorade powder in extreme weather. Those were just extra perks that I don't think the company has to provide. Once I left the building I was on my own and responsible for myself. I'm an adult and I've always taken care of myself with no problems.

Integrity

Binge Poster

I understand.

Do you disagree with the OSHA requirement?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I refill a gallon jug every morning.
Yesterday I drank the entire said gallon.
Usually I just drink about 3/4 of it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I think the following part of what you posted confirms OSHA’s governing of the UPS Package Car Driver job.

For example:
  • While traveling on public highways, the Department of Transportation (DOT) has jurisdiction. However, while loading and unloading trucks, OSHA regulations govern the safety and health of the workers and the responsibilities of employers to ensure their safety at the warehouse, at the dock, at the rig, at the construction site, at the airport terminal and in all places truckers go to deliver and pick up loads.
Anyway as I said I would I made an inquiry about this issue to OSHA and included your position on this mattter.

I will get back when I receive a response.

Thebrownblob

I disagree.
I can appreciate Your disagreement but I think I will take someone like @scratch experience as a veteran driver with many years under his belt advice before I take yours. And many of the new people would be wise to do the same, this is how you do it you follow in the footsteps of the people who did it before you successfully.

Trucker Clock

I understand.

Do you disagree with the OSHA requirement?

Here we go again.

There is no OSHA requirement to supply package car drivers with water. But, UPS still does. Fill your water jugs with free UPS provided water from the water fountains before you leave.

Trucker Clock

I think the following part of what you posted confirms OSHA’s governing of the UPS Package Car Driver job.

Anyway as I said I would I made an inquiry about this issue to OSHA and included your position on this mattter.

I will get back when I receive a response.

It is not my opinion.

It is in black and white straight from OSHA. I didn’t read between any lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.