When working in hot weather what do you think is adequate supply of water to have with you for your entire shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Regulations are supposed to work within the framework of laws to fill in the little details. Not go beyond what the law says.

100% agree. And those laws can't eliminate our rights. Requiring very minimal safety standards of making water available where work is performed neither falls outside the law, nor does it violate anyone's rights.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Those so called subordinate agencies are part of the executive which, as you mentioned, they cannot delegate their powers to. Furthermore, the full scope of congress' legislative authority is laid out in Article 1 section 8, and those 17 enumerated powers do not include the power to create legislative or regulatory agencies, be they part of the judicial, executive, or legislative branch.

You think Congress members are personally responsible to physically collect taxes? Build postal roads themselves? How does that work?

beatupbrown

I would drink gallons of water ,then use a hose and drench my whole body ,drink some Gatorade they have all types less sugar etc.. and slow down . We had a driver his kidneys would shut down from running in dangerous heat a real hero ,he was fired after about dying serval times he hated the job too odd why he hanged around ?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
No. It stated that the epa can not make policy or enforce regulations that have not been passed by congress. Their job is to administer the codes and what not. Not create them.

So please show me the federal law, and or state and or local municipal codes/laws/statutes that state an employer must provide these things.

The time of Alphabet agencies creating/making policy, regaurdless of how common sense (workplace water, for instance) those policies are, is done.

Hey bud, I'm with you when it comes to the abuses and overreaches of the administrative state. I don't think it is constitutional to empower agencies with delegated authority from all three branches. That's clearly against separation of powers. But if you want a law that allows OSHA to make rules about workplace safety, It's the Occupations Safety and Health Act. The law allows OSHA to make rules to ensure employee safety. It became necessary when it was clear that businesses would rather see their employees burn to death than pay for proper wiring with the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire. I guess that was the employees' fault for not preparing themselves by bringing their own fire extinguishers.

Making water available where work is being performed falls under workplace safety. It is a bare minimum requirement for people not to die.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What Is the Occupational Safety and Health Act?

Trying to prevent off topic hijack and derailment.

What are your thoughts on the requirements stated in the OP?

I think it is important for people to understand these underlying issues so that they can be informed to make better decisions.

Inasmuch as the question of the thread, I think the proper amount is the amount that will keep someone from suffering a heat injury or death. I don't think it should be defined by a particular volume. It should be very clear that if there isn't adequate water on hand any employee ought to feel free to seek it out as necessary without fear of disciplinary action. Clearly there are people who fear losing their job so much that they are willing to risk their lives, and that is the attitude that needs to be combatted. Instead it is cultivated.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I fill a gallon jug 3/4 of the way up with water and freeze it overnight. In the morning I fill the rest with cold water. It will be completely melted and still ice cold by 4pm. I also bring a one liter thermos filled with water that fits in the cup holder and refill that throughout the day with the gallon jug. I also bring a frozen water bottle with liquid IV in it that will defrost around 2pm and use that to fill me back up on salt, sugar, potassium etc. Gatorade if I buy it on road I’ll mix half of it with water. I’ll be sick to my stomach if I drink anymore than that, but I know I need more. I haven’t went to the bathroom all day today but I’m still sweating like a pig. Real feel here is 100 degrees today. I drink 1 liter before work and usually another 2-3 liters after work. Grand total I guess is around 2 to 2 and 1/4 gallons a day.

PPH_over_9000

If you drink 2.6 gallons of water everyday you will get sick. There is such thing as OVER-HYDRATION.

100% and the best part???? (From my experience, at least) if you overhydrate to the point where you become hyponatremic, the doctors will diagnose you with "hyponatremia due to dehydration," ignoring the fact that hyponatremia is often called "water intoxication" due to just how much you need to drink to get to that point.

M-E-T-H-O-D Man

DIAD msg last week told us to drink 8oz of water every 15 minutes, shorter intervals being more effective. So 448oz* unless shorter intervals are taken, let’s say every 10 mins, then 672oz*

3-5.25* gallons a day…I’m sure that’s a safe** and healthy amount to guzzle down daily otherwise they wouldn’t have said it.

*These numbers are based on your typical 14 hour day.
**Possibility of death.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Maybe UPS should provide drivers with a voucher to use for drinks and snacks while on road?

Oh :censored2:!

they already do, it’s called a paycheck!

Shorts365

None of yer guys center’s hands out Gatorade drinks/powders/gels/popsicles in the morning? Serious question cause ours does.

PCM Troll

Did I miss something? What's up with everyone crying about the heat as if it's the first time we have been required to work during summer? You girls are getting soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.