When working in hot weather what do you think is adequate supply of water to have with you for your entire shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trucker Clock

Again why does this have to get personal?

It's not personal and there is no name calling.

You have stated your opinion that you want UPS to abide by the Government's regulation to supply employees with water, make sure they drink water and tell them how much water to drink. That's not personal, that's a fact.

The whole premise of your arguments are that you want UPS to make sure that you stay safe. You want UPS to make sure that you have water. You want UPS to make sure that you drink water. You want UPS to tell you how much water to drink. You want UPS to make sure that you stay hydrated. You want UPS to keep you alive.

And why? Because the Government said so.

You don't seem to have any personal responsibility when it comes to keeping yourself safe in the hot weather. You want UPS to do it for you.

Here, let me help you out.

It is a crystal clear responsibility for employers to ensure that employees have an adequate supply of water suitable for drinking with requirements that it be fresh, pure, suitably cool, and provided to employees free of charge.

The employer is responsible to ensure that each delivery driver has at least this much with them when working in hot conditions.

This is a UPS responsibility, this is not an employee responsibility.

The Company definitely needs to do a better job dealing with safety and working in hot conditions.

Who paid for and provided the water?

When hot working conditions exist, in addition to the required water supply I do believe that a case can be made for UPS to be required to pay for and provide a small quantity of beverages with electrolytes based upon the known strenuous nature of package handling and delivery jobs.

I do respect taking care of yourself when you can’t rely on UPS management to fulfill their obligations though.

Safety and health professionals recommend about 3 gallons of water when working in hot conditions.

And then the following. You had the thread locked, so the quote option is unavailable. But here is what you said.

Who gets it is not relevant. It is clear, the employer is responsible for the provision of water at the work site. At least to me it is

Do you know what the recommended supply of water when working in hot conditions is?

In light of these hazardous conditions do you know what the recommended supply of water to have with you for your entire shift?

Please show me where this responsibility falls on the employee in the OSHA information regarding adequate supplies of water at the work site. Do you even know how much water is an adequate supply? I think many don’t.

You realize you paid for water for a company that made 12.9 billion net income last year, you also had the customer pay for water for UPS. You are obviously entitled to make this call however it doesn’t change the facts: UPS is required to pay for and provide an adequate supply of drinking water for your entire shift on your delivery vehicle.

And the biggest one of them all.

The company is really responsible to see that each driver has an adequate supply with them.

Bullcrap. This is your responsibility. Not the Government's and definitely not UPS's responsibility.

No name calling and no bullying. Simple facts.

Thebrownblob

We had a guy go down with heat exhaustion yesterday around 2 PM, He had to be pulled off car he said because he cannot go on. At 10PM his Snapchat story has him at the club hydrating with a cocktail lol 😂

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
It is just a recommended adequate supply.
I wouldn’t finish because of the amount of times I have to piss. And I only piss in bottles if I ain’t got another choice. If I’m in the country I’ll go in the woods before I go in a bottle.

qdg2

You have stated your opinion that you want UPS to abide by the Government's regulation to supply employees with water, make sure they drink water and tell them how much water to drink. That's not personal, that's a fact.

The whole premise of your arguments are that you want UPS to make sure that you stay safe. You want UPS to make sure that you have water. You want UPS to make sure that you drink water. You want UPS to tell you how much water to drink. You want UPS to make sure that you stay hydrated. You want UPS to keep you alive.

You don't seem to have any personal responsibility when it comes to keeping yourself safe in the hot weather. You want UPS to do it for you.

And then the following. You had the thread locked, so the quote option is unavailable. But here is what you said.

Who gets it is not relevant. It is clear, the employer is responsible for the provision of water at the work site. At least to me it is

Do you know what the recommended supply of water when working in hot conditions is?

In light of these hazardous conditions do you know what the recommended supply of water to have with you for your entire shift?

Please show me where this responsibility falls on the employee in the OSHA information regarding adequate supplies of water at the work site. Do you even know how much water is an adequate supply? I think many don’t.

You realize you paid for water for a company that made 12.9 billion net income last year, you also had the customer pay for water for UPS. You are obviously entitled to make this call however it doesn’t change the facts: UPS is required to pay for and provide an adequate supply of drinking water for your entire shift on your delivery vehicle.

The company is really responsible to see that each driver has an adequate supply with them.

Bullcrap. This is your responsibility. Not the Government's and definitely not UPS's responsibility.

Responsibility.......

For example: Urination/bowel movements.......on or off the clock? Only? On or off? Up to the employee or the company to allow for such and get paid on duty?

For example: Hydration......up to the employee to gather enough water to last all day at the start of work.......purchase enough containers etc. Gather this water before start time......

Any and none of this(your opinion/his) is bullcrap.....define bullcrap. You opinion is that his opinion is bullcrap.

While "being in the service of UPS" sure could be viewed many different ways.

Trucker Clock

Responsibility.......

For example: Urination/bowel movements.......on or off the clock? Only? On or off? Up to the employee or the company to allow for such and get paid on duty?

For example: Hydration......up to the employee to gather enough water to last all day at the start of work.......purchase enough containers etc. Gather this water before start time......

Any and none of this(your opinion/his) is bullcrap.....define bullcrap. You opinion is that his opinion is bullcrap.

While "being in the service of UPS" sure could be viewed many different ways.

Here is what @Integrity said.

“The company is really responsible to see that each driver has an adequate supply with them.”

I said that was bullcrap. It is not the Company’s responsibility, nor the Government’s responsibility to make sure that each driver has an adequate supply of water with them.

Trucker Clock

His opinion contradicts what OSHA has clearly stated on their website, so yes, his opinion on supplying drivers with water is bullcrap (incorrect, wrong, not true, false, fallacy, fake news)

Whereistheunion

It is a crystal clear responsibility for employers to ensure that employees have an adequate supply of water suitable for drinking with requirements that it be fresh, pure, suitably cool, and provided to employees free of charge. The water shall be located as close as practicable to the areas where employees are working. Where drinking water is not plumbed or otherwise continuously supplied, it shall be provided in sufficient quantity at the beginning of the work shift to provide one quart per employee per hour for drinking for the entire shift.

Your personal understanding of what amount of water you should have available to you and the failure or success of UPS to meet these requirements and their fulfilling their responsibilities to you and to all UPS employees is the sole scope and topic of this thread.

Based upon a 10.5 hours an adequate supply of water meeting the above requirements is 2.625 gallons. The employer shall dispense drinking water using one of the following means: from a fountain, a covered container with single-use drinking cups stored in a sanitary receptacle, or single-use bottles. The employer shall prohibit the use of shared drinking cups, dippers, and water bottles.

A 3 gallon jug, at least 20 bottles of .5 liter water bottles in a cooler with ice, or 42 8oz water bottles in a cooler with Ice will all meet the requirements.

The employer is responsible to ensure that each delivery driver has at least this much with them when working in hot conditions.

Part timers working in the sweatshops that most UPS facilities are should be supplied about half of the above in any of the acceptable means listed by OSHA.

This is a UPS responsibility, this is not an employee responsibility.

IMO The sole responsibility of the UPS employee is follow all UPS Safety Training exactly as stated but specifically to this topic, to follow all UPS Safety training regarding Heat related injuries/illness exactly as trained and to hold the UPS management in your building to their responsibility as to this training and OSHA requirements by seeing that they pay for and provide what they are required.

A warning:

Unfortunately I do believe if you do this you will be targeted by both UPS management and management sympathetic hourly workers union and non union.

I am available for private conversation regarding this topic as well just use the conversation feature of this site

Please :
Due to the serious nature of this topic, busting chops, joking and belittling individuals about this topic are not appropriate, nor welcome, please stay out of this discussion if that is all you want to add.
1 gallon and half

Integrity

Binge Poster
His opinion contradicts what OSHA has clearly stated on their website, so yes, his opinion on supplying drivers with water is bullcrap (incorrect, wrong, not true, false, fallacy, fake news)
Heat - Overview: Working in Outdoor and Indoor Heat Environments | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

Please read this OSHA document.

You can see that OSHA lists “mail and package delivery” as an outdoor job that they are addressing under the heat related illness/ injury requirement.

If you have problems with my point of view I think your case would be stronger if you cited inconsistencies with my interpretations and the actual OHSA information. Of which I have posted many.

Trucker Clock

You can see that OSHA lists “mail and package delivery” as an outdoor job that they are addressing under the heat related illness/ injury requirement.

Yes they do. Accidents and injuries need to be reported to OSHA. They track accidents and injuries. There is no doubt that mail and package delivery jobs have heat related illnesses/injuries. And OSHA tracks these.

It does not mean that they have jurisdiction to enforce their regulations, other than tracking accidents and injuries, on these jobs. They do have jurisdiction to track accidents and injuries. There is no question about that.

Although, most mail and small delivery companies, including most of Amazon, fall under the jurisdiction of OSHA. I never denied that.

I said that OSHA does not have jurisdiction over any Commercial Motor Vehicle driver, which is the majority of UPS drivers. And now some of the Amazon drivers, that have the new box trucks like ours. Also FedEx ground drivers that drive the same box trucks that we do. Anything over 10,000 lbs GVWR.

Please cite the OSHA document or portion of it that proves this statement please.

OSH Act of 1970

SEC. 4. Applicability of This Act

(b)

(1) Nothing in this Act shall apply to working conditions of employees with respect to which other Federal agencies, and State agencies acting under section 274 of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended (42 U.S.C. 2021), exercise statutory authority to prescribe or enforce standards or regulations affecting occupational safety or health.

And, if you don't know what the actual wording of the Act means, OSHA has explained it for certain people who refuse to believe what it says. I will post it for the third time. OSHA's determination of Section 4(b)1 of the OSH act. I know you refuse to believe it, so be it.

OSHA is preempted by Section 4(b)1 of the OSH Act from enforcing its regulations if a working condition is regulated by another Federal agency.

For example:

• While traveling on public highways, the Department of Transportation (DOT) has jurisdiction. However, while loading and unloading trucks, OSHA regulations govern the safety and health of the workers and the responsibilities of employers to ensure their safety at the warehouse, at the dock, at the rig, at the construction site, at the airport terminal and in all places truckers go to deliver and pick up loads.

Now, try to keep up. Commercial Motor Vehicle drivers are regulated by another Federal Agency, the Department of Transportation (DOT). Specifically, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). OSHA themselves say that they are preempted from enforcing its regulations on employees covered by the DOT.

Are you still with me? This is black and white. There is no ambiguity here. There are no personal opinions about what this says.

What part of this confuses you? Are you starting too many threads on the same subject and are getting confused? Do you just not want to believe that you are wrong?

Last edited:

qdg2

Yes they do. Accidents and injuries need to be reported to OSHA. They track accidents and injuries. There is no doubt that mail and package delivery jobs have heat related illnesses/injuries. And OSHA tracks these.

It does not mean that they have jurisdiction to enforce their regulations, other than tracking accidents and injuries, on these jobs. They do have jurisdiction to track accidents and injuries. There is no question about that.

Although, most mail and small delivery companies, including most of Amazon, fall under the jurisdiction of OSHA. I never denied that.

I said that OSHA does not have jurisdiction over any Commercial Motor Vehicle driver, which is the majority of UPS drivers. And now some of the Amazon drivers, that have the new box trucks like ours. Also FedEx ground drivers that drive the same box trucks that we do. Anything over 10,000 lbs GVWR.

OSH Act of 1970

SEC. 4. Applicability of This Act

(b)

(1) Nothing in this Act shall apply to working conditions of employees with respect to which other Federal agencies, and State agencies acting under section 274 of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended (42 U.S.C. 2021), exercise statutory authority to prescribe or enforce standards or regulations affecting occupational safety or health.

And, if you don't know what the actual wording of the Act means, OSHA has explained it for certain people who refuse to believe what it says. I will post it for the third time. OSHA's determination of Section 4(b)1 of the OSH act. I know you refuse to believe it, so be it.

OSHA is preempted by Section 4(b)1 of the OSH Act from enforcing its regulations if a working condition is regulated by another Federal agency.

For example:

• While traveling on public highways, the Department of Transportation (DOT) has jurisdiction. However, while loading and unloading trucks, OSHA regulations govern the safety and health of the workers and the responsibilities of employers to ensure their safety at the warehouse, at the dock, at the rig, at the construction site, at the airport terminal and in all places truckers go to deliver and pick up loads.

Now, try to keep up. Commercial Motor Vehicle drivers are regulated by another Federal Agency, the Department of Transportation (DOT). Specifically, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). OSHA themselves say that they are preempted from enforcing its regulations on employees covered by the DOT.

Are you still with me? This is black and white. There is no ambiguity here. There are no personal opinions about what this says.

What part of this confuses you? Are you starting too many threads on the same subject and are getting confused? Do you just not want to believe that you are wrong?
Given all that...I have a serious question-

With all due respect,

Who's side are you on?

In appearances and perception....you sound just like any Division Level on down Mgt. person.

Angry and punitive.

I can't imagine having you on "my side". .....for anything...let alone life sustaining water....

Trucker Clock

Given all that...I have a serious question-

With all due respect,

Who's side are you on?

In appearances and perception....you sound just like any Division Level on down Mgt. person.

Angry and punitive.

I can't imagine having you on "my side". .....for anything...let alone life sustaining water....

I enforce the contract, right or wrong.

I enforce the laws, right or wrong.

I use every means at my disposal to get warning letters removed or return discharged employees.

Pick your damn battles. I will not try and force UPS to supply package car drivers with water when it is not in the contract or not a law. I have bigger fish to fry. If UPS wants to supply water, or Gatorade to drivers, good for them.

Have some damn personal responsibility as a grownass adult. Fill your water jugs with free UPS water before you leave. You say it is life sustaining water. So you want UPS to sustain your life? It is not UPS's responsibility to make sure you take enough water with you, to make sure you drink enough water, to keep you alive and well.

That is your responsibility, unless you're still a child and need someone to take care of your needs, because you are not mature enough to do it yourself. UPS supplies you with free water. Take plenty with you.

Or do you want UPS to put refrigerators in every package car and stock them with water?

Or do you want UPS to drive around and give each driver cool water every 30 minutes?

If you bitch enough, UPS will probably supply you with the water jugs.

How much do you make? $100K/yr? Buy your own damn water jugs and fill them with free water before you leave. It is unbelievable what some people pick for their battles and try and force the Company to do. Then, when we actually need something from the Company, we don't get it because they gave us water.

Grow up and take some personal responsibility to keep yourself healthy and alive out there.

qdg2

I enforce the contract, right or wrong.

I enforce the laws, right or wrong.

I use every means at my disposal to get warning letters removed or return discharged employees.

Pick your damn battles. I will not try and force UPS to supply package car drivers with water when it is not in the contract or not a law. I have bigger fish to fry. If UPS wants to supply water, or Gatorade to drivers, good for them.

Have some damn personal responsibility as a grownass adult. Fill your water jugs with free UPS water before you leave. You say it is life sustaining water. So you want UPS to sustain your life? It is not UPS's responsibility to make sure you take enough water with you, to make sure you drink enough water, to keep you alive and well.

That is your responsibility, unless you're still a child and need someone to take care of your needs, because you are not mature enough to do it yourself. UPS supplies you with free water. Take plenty with you.

Or do you want UPS to put refrigerators in every package car and stock them with water?

Or do you want UPS to drive around and give each driver cool water every 30 minutes?

If you bitch enough, UPS will probably supply you with the water jugs.

How much do you make? $100K/yr? Buy your own damn water jugs and fill them with free water before you leave. It is unbelievable what some people pick for their battles and try and force the Company to do. Then, when we actually need something from the Company, we don't get it because they gave us water.

Grow up and take some personal responsibility to keep yourself healthy and alive out there.
UPS doesn't mind taking lives......they calculate an acceptable number.

No? Better believe it.

Trucker Clock

No? Better believe it.

If someone dies out on the road because they did not drink enough water, that’s a tragedy because it is their responsibility to stay hydrated and stay alive, not the Company’s.

No? Better believe it

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

No? Better believe it.
I don’t disagree, but so does the medical community, so does your government etc. etc.

That’s why you don’t want to be a victim. Many Victims are waiting for someone else to save them.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
man I spend at least $8 a week buying new water bottles because they get lost as a cover driver, simple facts. I get maybe 3 uses out of them before they disappear..

Integrity

Binge Poster
IMO someone can get personal without actually calling names. I think you may be.
I don’t believe, I ever actually said “I want” UPS to do anything here. I do at work but not here.
Never said this.

Not true.

That was not why the thread was locked. I informed by post my reasons for locking the thread.
I agree with this.

I agree with this.
My opinion based upon my interpretation of OSHA requirements is that is definitely UPS’s responsibility.
Maybe your opinion based upon your interpretation but definitely not facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.