When you retired what was your final day like?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Christmas Eve.
Punched in at 630am. Stretched for 1/2 hour. Emptied some garbage cans. Walked around for a couple hours saying my good-byes. Went to the conference room to eat at the Plant Engineering Christmas party. Punched out around 1130am.
Can't remember if I farted on the way out the door or not.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
38 years.....did you get belittled and made fun of? Abusive speculation about your 401K? Get a thumbs down on all your posts and comments........no matter what they are?

On a real note: at least you got to skip the safety ride and all that......didn't have to listen to why it was all your fault.....push/pull and such.

May I ask your age at retirement? Thanks and please.

I'm curious......could you have had a private get together of your co-workers? No one offered/suggested one? Or the Company?

How did you rate your relationship with the Company? You like your job? Did they like you? The ending sounds bitter. I've witnessed maybe 10 retirements in my 40 years so far. Food/cake, small family meet and greet. Maybe 20 people come through....most for the free food.....The retirement get together mostly word of mouth....strangely quiet by the company.....weird.
This post is weird…you talk in riddles…

quad decade guy

This post is weird…you talk in riddles…
Maybe you read in riddles.

See, he gets a free pass. 38 years and not even a glance.....just back slapping attaboys.

Not "why so long?" "Must have 3 ex-wives..." "Didn't plan huh..."

See? I have 40 but I'm not even retirement age......just 2 more than him. Because I started at 18, he at 21 and he was 59. I'm 59 now. I'm leaving next year. Not enough of a difference to talk about.....nor belittle and bully someone over.

So, my post is weird? Lot's of folks here, worked 40 years....just not all at UPS. My case is different but pretty much the same in the end.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I gave 2 weeks notice . The center manager tried to talk me out of it as I was a driver mentor. Then asked if I wanted a party and I said NO.
I asked him not to tell anyone and he said okay.

Punched out my last day and was walking out to parking lot when a good friend of mine was coming in. I told him it was my last day. He was very surprised and said he would keep it a secret.

No one knew for several weeks or perhaps months that I retired.
Not sure anyone cared (except the lower seniority drivers )

I still run into former co-workers from time to time and they said the way I went out was cool. It kept everyone guessing. Some thought I was fired. There were all kinds of stories going around.

Funny true story. I bought some fish ,wrapped it up in some newspaper and locked it into my locker on last day.

Don't miss it at all. No regrets. The first day I was eligible to retire (80 and out ) was the day I retired.

One last thing. My numbers were the same on the last couple weeks as they were for my whole career. Did not change a damn thing. I'm most proud of that.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How many women would be affected by some smelly ass fish in a feeder Dept women’s locker room …less than 10???
If true pretty much sounds like a dick move…

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I started working on 10/15/75 and my last day was 10/14/20, I stopped working to the day 45 years after I was hired as a 17-year-old. It was a Wednesday and actually a decent workday with nice weather. I had 154 stops and I clocked out at 18:08. Two weeks later they would load me up with extra stops and let me be the first to start a Driver's Helper, and the time would change where it got dark at 5:30, my center manager wasn't happy with me leaving before Peak Season. I had been saying goodbye to my customers and co-workers for several weeks, one of my customers ran me down and gave me a nice bottle of champagne. My supervisor said "See you tomorrow" and I told him "No you won't", my Center Manager didn't even bother to tell him. They gave me the cake and served Chick-fil-A biscuits two days later on Friday morning. My shop steward gave his speech, my Center Manager gave his speech with all of my statistics, and I gave mine. I walked out the side of the building by the outbound doors to avoid all the other drivers leaving the building. I have been back in that building once when six drivers retired. I have been to a couple of retiree lunches and a couple of funerals too since then.
tempImage6TkovX.png
FAADF4DE-AA52-4054-9FF3-933ECD8BF63D.jpeg
369A1011-7DBC-4B52-9884-0F5BA19B6F38_1_201_a.jpeg

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I started working on 10/15/75 and my last day was 10/14/20, I stopped working to the day 45 years after I was hired as a 17-year-old. It was a Wednesday and actually a decent workday with nice weather. I had 154 stops and I clocked out at 18:08. Two weeks later they would load me up with extra stops and let me be the first to start a Driver's Helper, and the time would change where it got dark at 5:30, my center manager wasn't happy with me leaving before Peak Season. I had been saying goodbye to my customers and co-workers for several weeks, one of my customers ran me down and gave me a nice bottle of champagne. My supervisor said "See you tomorrow" and I told him "No you won't", my Center Manager didn't even bother to tell him. They gave me the cake and served Chick-fil-A biscuits two days later on Friday morning. My shop steward gave his speech, my Center Manager gave his speech with all of my statistics, and I gave mine. I walked out the side of the building by the outbound doors to avoid all the other drivers leaving the building. I have been back in that building once when six drivers retired. I have been to a couple of retiree lunches and a couple of funerals too since then.View attachment 373938View attachment 373940View attachment 373941
Loooong road @scratch ,, congrats again my friend , hope you and the family are well

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I started working on 10/15/75 and my last day was 10/14/20, I stopped working to the day 45 years after I was hired as a 17-year-old. It was a Wednesday and actually a decent workday with nice weather. I had 154 stops and I clocked out at 18:08. Two weeks later they would load me up with extra stops and let me be the first to start a Driver's Helper, and the time would change where it got dark at 5:30, my center manager wasn't happy with me leaving before Peak Season. I had been saying goodbye to my customers and co-workers for several weeks, one of my customers ran me down and gave me a nice bottle of champagne. My supervisor said "See you tomorrow" and I told him "No you won't", my Center Manager didn't even bother to tell him. They gave me the cake and served Chick-fil-A biscuits two days later on Friday morning. My shop steward gave his speech, my Center Manager gave his speech with all of my statistics, and I gave mine. I walked out the side of the building by the outbound doors to avoid all the other drivers leaving the building. I have been back in that building once when six drivers retired. I have been to a couple of retiree lunches and a couple of funerals too since then.View attachment 373938View attachment 373940View attachment 373941
How many drivers were in your center scratch?? 6 to go at once isnt normal, is it? Center Mgr wanted you to stick around, damn you gave 45 years… you did your part!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
How many drivers were in your center scratch?? 6 to go at once isnt normal, is it? Center Mgr wanted you to stick around, damn you gave 45 years… you did your part!!
We probably put about 55 routes on the road a day, I worked out of Forest Park Hub, a small hub that has two centers on the Southside of Atlanta. About five of those six drivers had actually retired a year or so earlier and the tough guys said they didn't want any recognition, they changed their minds. Half of them were on disability also. My shop steward walked in one day and quit with no notice when my Local gave him a Business Agent job. I told my center manager a few months earlier and told him when I mailed in my paperwork, he avoided me my last two months and wouldn't look me in the eye whenever I talked to him. Tough.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We probably put about 55 routes on the road a day, I worked out of Forest Park Hub, a small hub that has two centers on the Southside of Atlanta. About five of those six drivers had actually retired a year or so earlier and the tough guys said they didn't want any recognition, they changed their minds. Half of them were on disability also. My shop steward walked in one day and quit with no notice when my Local gave him a Business Agent job. I told my center manager a few months earlier and told him when I mailed in my paperwork, he avoided me my last two months and wouldn't look me in the eye whenever I talked to him. Tough.
Is your center Mgr the one speaking in the picture??

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Scratch's Center Manager was a Piece of Work! Scratch's Center Manager was in my building as Center manager from 2013-2019 when we sent him packing to Scratch's building. He ran the Center with what he thought was Fear and Intimidation and we absolutely BURIED him in grievances. I had never seen a Center manager unify the building as he did ours, in fact he did more to increase Union Membership in those six years than we could ever do with Parking Lot meetings. The Onroads hated him,The OMS's hated him ,Dispatcher hated him and the Part time supes hated him as he ran roughshod over them and they couldn't fight back. I even had two onroads who would text me when this Center Manager was running misloads as they thought it was funny that he would get so mad at me for nailing him with Supe Working grievances

Karma is a wonderful thing as he was demoted to Preload Supervisor shortly after Scratch retired and this individual retired as Preload Supe.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Scratch's Center Manager was a Piece of Work! Scratch's Center Manager was in my building as Center manager from 2013-2019 when we sent him packing to Scratch's building. He ran the Center with what he thought was Fear and Intimidation and we absolutely BURIED him in grievances. I had never seen a Center manager unify the building as he did ours, in fact he did more to increase Union Membership in those six years than we could ever do with Parking Lot meetings. The Onroads hated him,The OMS's hated him ,Dispatcher hated him and the Part time supes hated him as he ran roughshod over them and they couldn't fight back. I even had two onroads who would text me when this Center Manager was running misloads as they thought it was funny that he would get so mad at me for nailing him with Supe Working grievances

Karma is a wonderful thing as he was demoted to Preload Supervisor shortly after Scratch retired and this individual retired as Preload Supe.
I’m surprised he lasted 6 years in one center…really surprised he made it through to retirement.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
congratulations. 45 years.......now that is getting the big picture.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

It is sad how people are leaving now. Members with over 30 years get a cake and no recognition particularly with our local union. We had going away parties for our retirees at one time, not any more.