When you retired what was your final day like?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It is sad how people are leaving now. Members with over 30 years get a cake and no recognition particularly with our local union. We had going away parties for our retirees at one time, not any more.
I'm hearing that Sean is going to address the retirement party issue in the next contract.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I’m surprised he lasted 6 years in one center…really surprised he made it through to retirement.
I am firmly convinced he was kept in our building as long as he was for punishment. Due to the sheer amount of grievances from our building we were adding 2-3 hours to his workday,and the more he lashed out at us the worse it got for him. he was getting alot of pressure from higher management for better Center performance and we were giving him alot of pressure with grievances. This individual had a HUGE ego ,bad temper and couldn't let things go. Worst Center manger I had in my 35 years.I told him MANY times I hoped I died at work as he'd have to work VERY late with all of that paperwork,geta huge safety ding,get chewed out by the DM for having an employee die on the clock AND he'd have to say nice things about me to my wife.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I am firmly convinced he was kept in our building as long as he was for punishment. Due to the sheer amount of grievances from our building we were adding 2-3 hours to his workday,and the more he lashed out at us the worse it got for him. he was getting alot of pressure from higher management for better Center performance and we were giving him alot of pressure with grievances. This individual had a HUGE ego ,bad temper and couldn't let things go. Worst Center manger I had in my 35 years.I told him MANY times I hoped I died at work as he'd have to work VERY late with all of that paperwork,geta huge safety ding,get chewed out by the DM for having an employee die on the clock AND he'd have to say nice things about me to my wife.
Looks like a doosh too.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Looks like a doosh too.
oh yeah. big time! whats funny is he and I went to school together from 7th -12th grade, had the same homeroom for all of those years and got along in school. His first day in the building I introduced myself, told him I remembered him from high school and that I was looking forward to working with him............................he looked down his nose at me and told me i needed to button my top shirt button............... I realized then how much fun it was going to be lol

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_200204_132624364-612x612 (1).jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_200204_132624364-612x612 (1).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 66

Re-Raise

I started working on 10/15/75 and my last day was 10/14/20, I stopped working to the day 45 years after I was hired as a 17-year-old. It was a Wednesday and actually a decent workday with nice weather. I had 154 stops and I clocked out at 18:08. Two weeks later they would load me up with extra stops and let me be the first to start a Driver's Helper, and the time would change where it got dark at 5:30, my center manager wasn't happy with me leaving before Peak Season. I had been saying goodbye to my customers and co-workers for several weeks, one of my customers ran me down and gave me a nice bottle of champagne. My supervisor said "See you tomorrow" and I told him "No you won't", my Center Manager didn't even bother to tell him. They gave me the cake and served Chick-fil-A biscuits two days later on Friday morning. My shop steward gave his speech, my Center Manager gave his speech with all of my statistics, and I gave mine. I walked out the side of the building by the outbound doors to avoid all the other drivers leaving the building. I have been back in that building once when six drivers retired. I have been to a couple of retiree lunches and a couple of funerals too since then.View attachment 373938View attachment 373940View attachment 373941
Enjoy retirement Scratch!