Where to go from here?

Hello Brown Cafe!
This is a great site, I've been reading all the postings for the last 2-3 weeks and decided to finally post today because I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm not a UPSer yet and that's my problem. I was trying to apply, online, for a driver position(holiday) about 3 weeks ago and can't even seem to get to the application process. After entering in my general information it gives me the statement that no appointments open at this time but keep checking back. So not being able to get through I drove up to the facility I was applying for and submitted resume and they lady there said they were hiring drivers and gave me a # of an HR manager to call. So I was able to leave a message about 2 weeks ago but haven't heard anything back. Since then I've called her back several times with no luck as her voicemail is always full. So I guess my question(s) are where should I go from here? Is there a hiring freeze in Ohio? Is this process pretty much standard or am I just out of luck?
Thanks for any info.

705red

Browncafe Steward
There seems to be a hiring freeze all across the country right now, no seasonals as of yet and new drivers being sent back part time, with lay offs expected soon.

over9five

Staff member
We have casuals on right now, but the plan was to add two more this week, and two more next week.
All this adding casuals has been put off. There's just not enough work, we're all working 8.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I got the same thing when I was told to apply, but HR called me and told me to come in and apply.
They sent me for a drug screen and physical for a seasonal feeders driver this week, so I do not think they would pay for that if they were not going to use me......last year I got about 8 days of work including training....I do not think it will be that busy this year.

Thanks to everyone who resonded.
I've seen a lot posted on here about a hiring freeze but I guess what I don't understand is why they posted a seasonal driver job in the first place if there is a hiring freeze. From what I've read anyway, it looks like most seasonal drivers don't start driving until ~Nov 3rd. If that's true is it possible UPS would wait to call for me to apply until a week before then or is that to late? Just trying to get my foot in the door(like lots of others from what it looks like)and am looking for any advice on just getting in to apply.
Thanks again.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Its possible that they will call you, the problem is that they cant work you if we have drivers laid off, and if we have drivers laid off they cant train you to get ready for this job.

All the drivers have to be worked before we hire seasonal drivers and even helpers.

drewed

Shankman
I think we're shooting ourself in the foot, we're hedging on just slightly elevated, i dont think we'll have an ultra heavy peak but heavy enough where we'll need the help

chev

Nightcrawler
I think we're shooting ourself in the foot, we're hedging on just slightly elevated, I don't think we'll have an ultra heavy peak but heavy enough where we'll need the help
You've noticed too? Peek here is starting off with a whimper. Monday seems to be the only busy day for us. The rest of the week is just downright scary. :sad-little:

satellitedriver

If things are so slow, how come I work 50hrs a week and have work taken off of me on a regular basis?
I will take the OT in this economy and the one that is coming.
Maybe, it is regional.

helenofcalifornia

Sat, I do believe that initially the "slowdown" will be regionally, but then once the economy starts hitting all the big guys on top, "the trickle down" will begin. California and the NE and SE are the first to be hit, with Sarah Palin's heartland and the "true Americans" to be affected last. Texas is looking economically healthy right now.

If I am not a "true American," then I think I want to be Hawaiian. They surely can't be true Americans since they produced Barack.

red, you were right. I went back to the center yesterday to check back in and found out that there were still drivers laid off. The lady at the desk acted like they should be getting called back soon. She also said that seasonal drivers usually get brought in sometime between the 1st week of Nov and Thanksgiving. Then she handed me a sign up sheet for driver helper?
Is it possible, if I went for jumper, that I could be brought on full time after peak or is that very uncommon? Does anyone have an opinion on the best way(best path to take) to get my foot in the door for a full time position?
Thanks again.

evilleace

The best way to get your foot in the door is to get a pt. package handler position at UPS, and then work your way up. With all the laid off drivers and low volume the chances of a seasonal driver being permanent are very low. Take the helper job and an inside position if you can get one.

LiL"Comet"

Champ!! first off good luck just keep up the persistence it will pay off for you sooner or later. The bad news is right now like everyone else has said a lot of our operations are slowing down and they way it looks it's going to keep slowing.
The chances for anyone to become friend/t after Christmas this year is going to be slim to none. :sad-little: The information you see on the website for the peak hires is because preparation for peaks starts for some operations in late August early September. We have to give a projection as to how many peak employees we will need in operations to get through.
For instance I projected to need 5 or 6 more pkg handlers but haven't put on the first one yet and don't see it happening. I'm having to layoff 7 or so employee's a night (by seniority voluntary) because volume is down so low for us.:anxious:

Good Luck to you!!

SFBayUPSer

Champ, as a NEWLY hired UPSer who hasn't even had his first day. My advice would also be to try and get a package handler position and work your way up from there.

If you search, you can see how difficult it was for me to get hired. But I did it, and start this weekend. I didn't get hired seasonal though, Im permanent.

GOOD LUCK! It will be worth it.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will apply for package handler and driver helper as well then. When I went to the facility yesterday the very nice lady working the desk gave me the facility phone # and told me that she expected the regional HR Manager(I guess would be her title)to be in on Monday. She told me to start calling the facility at ~ 9am and keep trying until I find out she has arrived and when I did to hurry over and try to catch her while she is there. Does this sound like good idea? I mean, I know to be persistant but I've left her 2 voicemails in the last 1 1/2 weeks with no call back. As far as applying for the package handler or driver helper do I need to reapply online in addition to the seasonal driver I've already started to apply for?

If you search, you can see how difficult it was for me to get hired. But I did it, and start this weekend. I didn't get hired seasonal though, Im permanent.

SFbay, could you fill me in on how you went about getting in or at least give me the name of your thread? Thanks

For instance I projected to need 5 or 6 more pkg handlers but haven't put on the first one yet and don't see it happening.

comet, sounds like you may be involved in hiring? If you are, is it standard for a person applying for job to not hear back 2weeks after leaving voicemails due to workload or any other circumstances?

SFBayUPSer

I had an issue with their computer system.... wait scratch that..... Their computer system has an issue with me. My hiring process went back and fourth the better part of a month. I simply went down to the HR office twice, and was persistant as all hell (without being annoying). In the end, I think Gerald (The HR guy) KNEW I wanted to work there.

I start Sunday :)