Where's Over9fives package?

evilleace

In my opinion it is just a way for UPS to do away with Rural and extended routes and then I have seen basic packages going to post offices in town as well. Plus USPS is a competitor do they get paid anything for delivering those I really think this should be addressed in the next contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Basic is only going to grow as more and more shippers begin to take advantage of it. I am not sure how the shipping charges are split between UPS and USPS. Delivery of Basic pkgs to the consignee or to the P.O. is based on zip code. I would estimate that on some days nearly 1/3 of my residential deliveries are Basic.

UPSGUY72

I don't think the new deal UPS has with post office will last to long customers are already complaining about the service the of USPS since they started to consolidate routes as people retire or take early retirement. I know that companies that ship with the USPS are not to happy with the service and could easily switch delivery companies.

P

pickup

So I'm expecting a package, and signed up at ups.com for text notification on my cell for delivery notice.
I get the message yesterday about 4pm saying it was delivered. Great! I call my son, and he looks everywhere... No package.

So when I got home, I tracked it. Signed for by ****, at the dock. Dock? Not many docks in the little town I live in, and none at my house!

So I'm wondering, could it be a basic package that was delivered to the post office? But then it's kinda stupid for UPS to send me a text saying it was delivered, right?

I've never delivered Basics to a post office. Is there more than one barcode? Could the driver have scanned the wrong barcode causing UPS to send the "delivered" text?

See thread about "ups manager steals parcel containing marijuana" . Might explain what happened to your package

bluehdmc

In my opinion it is just a way for UPS to do away with Rural and extended routes and then I have seen basic packages going to post offices in town as well. Plus USPS is a competitor do they get paid anything for delivering those I really think this should be addressed in the next contract.

I live in a suburban neighborhood, in an apt/condo complex, population of the town @ 50k, and have had packages delivered by "basic". So it seems like things are going to more than "rural" areas.

evilleace

Basic is definitely being delivered by the post offices in town also but not in the huge numbers that I am seeing go to the rural post offices. It is outsourcing anyway you look at it. It is also giving our service level a bad name someone sees something is shipped by UPS Basic and the it takes 4-5 for UPS to deliver it and then 1 or 2 days for the post office to deliver it is just ridiculous especially when the driver is probably going to be near those addresses getting basic packages at some point during the day.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Have your center run the tracking number, they can tell you the address where it was delivered, and they can ask the driver if they recognize the name that signed for it, most drivers know there customers, probably will remember the name.

over9five

Staff member
Yeah, thanks. I'm going to see if it turns up Monday. Right now, I'm kinda assuming the P.O. is at fault for me not getting it Saturday.

But I still think it's downright stupid for UPS to text "delivered" messages to the customer when we leave it at a P.O.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
When I left pkg,they were just starting basic, I would del to the add & was instructed to just leave it.2 fam,condo apt bus any where was ok.I never felt comfortable doing this & refused to leave several due to a DR claim at the add before.Like most of you guys ,I never forgot who burned me.I was talked with LOL & told to leave no matter what!! Now the P.O delivers our stuff!! I'm confused please explain to me .Thanks COVE

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I live in a suburban neighborhood, in an apt/condo complex, population of the town @ 50k, and have had packages delivered by "basic". So it seems like things are going to more than "rural" areas.
I deliver basic pkgs and have never dropped any at the local P.O.

When I left pkg,they were just starting basic, I would del to the add & was instructed to just leave it.2 fam,condo apt bus any where was ok.I never felt comfortable doing this & refused to leave several due to a DR claim at the add before.Like most of you guys ,I never forgot who burned me.I was talked with LOL & told to leave no matter what!! Now the P.O delivers our stuff!! I'm confused please explain to me .Thanks COVE
I'm the same way, Cove. I won't DR pkgs even if they are basic or that other form, that eludes the mind right now, if it is an apt or bad area. Mostly apt's, as I have no bad areas on my route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is based upon the zip code. I would assume that the state of Florida has no rural areas and as such we would deliver all Basic pkgs.

I'm the same way, Cove. I won't DR pkgs even if they are basic or that other form, that eludes the mind right now, if it is an apt or bad area. Mostly apt's, as I have no bad areas on my route.

Shipper release.

UPSGUY72

I have had packages that I delivered to the post office when I was going to the house anyways with other packages.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

This is based upon the zip code. I would assume that the state of Florida has no rural areas and as such we would deliver all Basic pkgs.

Shipper release.
We have rural areas here. The whole middle of the state is rural. I just don't have a P.O. on my route. Thanks for the help, I was having brain cramps. Sorry to make you think I was calling you names, Upstate.

I have had packages that I delivered to the post office when I was going to the house anyways with other packages.
It's a shame I tell you.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Basic is only going to grow as more and more shippers begin to take advantage of it. I am not sure how the shipping charges are split between UPS and USPS. Delivery of Basic pkgs to the consignee or to the P.O. is based on zip code. I would estimate that on some days nearly 1/3 of my residential deliveries are Basic.
One of our rural PO's have gone from getting 5 or 6 pcs a day to 20 or more a day.