where's the volume? new rumor

TUT

Only because of unfair and barely legal labor practices.
Wonder if you'll be using the same logic when UPS takes the same approach.

Perhaps you look at UPS as your sole competition. But you know who's coming? Even cheaper regionals with shippers donning several US based warehouses more and more. It has to scare the bejesus out of both larger carriers. To me I see Fedex seeing this and trying to get their costs in line to be competitive against those med-long term. I see UPS relying on their qualities to carry them through.

The bigger these monopolies get in commerce the more they will take advantage of these regional offerings and they are every bit as cheap as Ground. Do you ever think that Fedex see's that threat coming? Amazon has put their cards on the table, all same day or next day, there is a fair chance their main carrier won't be named UPS or Fedex. That is industry shifting news. I've been trying to get info on what their carrier plans are when they make the change. Anyone have any insight on that? Who's a big Amazon carrier now, Prestige? Who'da beep are they?

worldwide

Suppose you are the shipping manager for ABC Company, which produces widgets. You currently ship with FedEx Express and it costs you $20 to send 1 widget within the same zip code. Your FedEx sales rep shows you how you can ship 3 widgets within the same zip code and same time in transit for that same $20. Do you stay with Express?

No, I go to UPS. I would ask my Fedex rep "Why haven't you brought this cost saving alternative to me before today? You have been taking advantage of me if there was a less expensive alternative and you did not bring it to my attention."

zapmail

Ha..good luck to the customer finding their current sales rep.
No, I go to UPS. I would ask my Fedex rep "Why haven't you brought this cost saving alternative to me before today? You have been taking advantage of me if there was a less expensive alternative and you did not bring it to my attention."

TUT

That is an old of a scenario as the idea of sales. I mean why not just cut the crap and offer your best price, no discounts etc? That's also a reason why you need better transportation managers. Exp and know how.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Translation: Only because of unfair and barely legal labor practices.

Unfair in whose eyes? Yes, to you and me the Ground guys are overworked and underpaid but, to them, it is a job which allows them to put a roof over their heads and food on the table. This is the direction our industry is going---just wait to see what happens when Amazon bypasses us all and starts delivering their own packages.

BrownBlue

New Jack
Um you mean put food stamps on the table, and I'm not sure that those Ground/Home people have homes, they look like the peeps on the corners with the NEED GAS signs. But hey if they want to work for crap compensation, and drag us down with them, then hey it's America let's race to the bottom.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Um you mean put food stamps on the table, and I'm not sure that those Ground/Home people have homes, they look like the peeps on the corners with the NEED GAS signs. But hey if they want to work for crap compensation, and drag us down with them, then hey it's America let's race to the bottom.

Exactly.
We are paying for the government to help folks like ground drivers to eat so that corporate America can make more profit and pay no taxes.

SmithBarney

So a Ground guy who makes $650 a week can't afford food?

not when you factor his self paid health care($150-200), retirement($100) fuel costs to get to work (50/wk) child care (50-150/wk)
costs to buy his uniform since his contractor is too cheap, see how it adds up dano, get your head out of the purple haze and look
how the cost of living has grown and workers pay compensation has not. oh now look the ground worker's son broke his arm, it just ran him 1500 in medical expenses, now he's out nearly 3 weeks of pay.... see how it works outside your ivory tower

HomeDelivery

my boss is awesome; he tells me i can drive straight home when i'm done for the day...

300 miles a week for commuting adds up & i guess he can write it off is taxes. win-win for my situation

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Nothing unfair and legal is legal.
You know if FedEx ever decides to sponsor martial arts you'll have a blackbelt in brownosing. That said, it's only legal for Fred because he paid off the right people, which should be highly illegal itself.