Which is the hardest of the 3? Loader, Unloader, or Sorter.

Don Spite

They all have good bits and :censored2:ty bits. Wherever they stick you, learn how to make it work for you. If you're a negative person then it doesn't matter where you are, you'll find some way to make your job the worst thing in the world.

Personally, I'm in unload. I unload a trailer a day, spend a few hours on spa, and fill the rest of the time helping slugs, sorting when we're overflowed, and walking belts. Wouldn't change a thing.

Bren_dan

I don't know if there's a right or wrong answer to which job is the easiest. I work the reload at a smaller hub, and I've done all three jobs, but my experience probably varies from others.

What I can tell you.

Unloading was probably the most physically challenging. Wear a back brace. "Able to lift up to 75 lbs" is a sham, if you can't handle packages weighing up to 150 lbs on a consistent basis, by yourself, you won't make it at the hub I work at. Maybe team-lifts are more properly enforced elsewhere, I don't know. Mentally though, this job is the easiest. If you can identify a hazmat and learn how to use a pallet jack, you'll be fine.

Loading is also very physical, but you're at least starting your lift from the waist and not from the ground as much. Learning how to construct a good wall takes time, but once you understand the concept I think this job is slightly easier than unloading. But remember: unloaders make the pace, loaders have to keep up with it. This is almost certainly what you'll start out doing, it will make or break you.

Sorting is my favorite, but it is mentally draining. I work in small sort most nights, which physically is a dream (10 lbs and under) but I had to learn how to look at a zip code and determine in a second which of the 50 different bins it belongs in. It takes time and the ability to memorize. Sorting the belt is different. There are far fewer destinations to decide from but the pace is often overwhelming. It's a skilled, one-dollar higher paid position for a reason.

Good luck.

By the way, this is my first time posting on here. So glad I came across this board, great source of knowledge.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Unloading is the hardest - physically. Loading is 50/50, everything is basically already in your power zone. Sorting is the easiest mentally and physically. If you're talking about unloading the trailers, that's arguable the hardest job at UPS I know of.

Nightside

I have to say that out of the 3, sorting is the easiest. Hard for the first month or so, but once you know where everything goes, and your body adjusts, its cake. Now I say that when it's a good night. Meaning I got paired with an unloader who actually cares about his job, has a good attitude, listens, and does it right. There are quite a few unloaders in my hub who just want to go balls to wall all night long, not caring about lables being up or out, sending retapes, irregs....And give us the stink eye when we have to hold em up. Also unloaders who have bad friend'ing attitudes and won't stop the belt when you've yelled 5,6,7 times at them to stop. Then start the belt back up before you are ready or being told to. I've heard on a few occasions the unload supervisors tell the unloaders to "make the sorters want to quit." So maybe that has something to do with it also.

Now with that said, in my case, it all depends on who you get paired up with that determines if you're going to have a good night or a horrible night. Too many unloaders in my hub seem to have bad attitudes, so I'd say that unloading is the 2nd hardest. Loaders I just feel bad for every time I walk by them. They are at the mercy of the flow.

Good Luck to you. Try and go for sort. If you become an unloader, have a little compassion for the sorters. You get paid by the hour, not how many trucks you unload.

p.s. The faster you go, the less money everyone makes.