Who All RTS ALL UPS Paperwork?

Overpaid Union Thug

I guess the question is more for drivers. But, like the title says, who all on this forum RTS all paperwork management wants us to fill out? I do and it seems like there’s more than ever the past few months. Some of it’s actually quizzes and some is just nonsense. But any of it can be used against us if we sign it.

Most of our drivers are too scared to RTS. I don’t know why when there’s contract language to back them up. Our sups where harassing people about it and “forcing them” to sign them or take quizzes. How pathetic.

clean hairy

Management can sit in the office and do a ton of write ups you never saw and put rts on them.
Then, try to discipline or fire you based on the made up write ups.

You don't write RTS yourself, have whoever is trying to get you to sign something to do it.
Also, don't even sign the diad at the end of day. You can just make a line, or override the signature and key in your name.
I write rts and date reviewed. If no shop steward is there. I get one as a witness for proof it has been reviewed. Its just a song and dance.

35years

Gravy route
A signature shows that you understood what you just read.

Not quite...

Understood and/or consent to what is written.

Let the boss pen RTS to any and all documents. You are not required to sign or RTS anything except your DOT mandated forms.

If you are threatened with discipline for refusing to write anything, make sure to ask for your steward, and grieve the coerced signing.

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i used to RTS as an hourly

it’s pretty pointless tbh, whether you sign or not has zero impact on whether they will pursue a termination or not

it’s literally just an acknowledgement that something was reviewed with you, not an admission of guilt (it’s not a courtroom)

35years

Gravy route
i used to RTS as an hourly

it’s pretty pointless tbh, whether you sign or not has zero impact on whether they will pursue a termination or not

it’s literally just an acknowledgement that something was reviewed with you, not an admission of guilt (it’s not a courtroom)

That is the rational UPS management tries to sell so people will just sign.

It may not weigh heavily into management's decision to fire someone, however...
Unfortunately it becomes a courtroom when UPS fires someone unfairly. Then those "acknowledgements" of discipline and rules become important.

Take the example of a fired Union activist at AT&T...
Decline to Sign (or, RTS FTW)

Fortunately for Union employees at UPS this is covered in the contract. There is good reason it is covered in the contract. We have had employees "tricked" (for lack of a better word) into signing documents that ended up being used to support termination.

If it is supposedly no big deal to sign something you disagree with, then why does management push so hard for the signature? Because it may become a big deal at the hearings.

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

Management can sit in the office and do a ton of write ups you never saw and put rts on them.
Then, try to discipline or fire you based on the made up write ups.
I saw that the ocs who rode with me on a safety ride the year prior had written several bogus things on my review sheet after I left the office. I only had three things reviewed with me that day and they were so minor it didnt matter. The ocs wrote three more things down after I left the office. The (different) ocs and I discussed the previous year's write up and I protested.

I would suggest you have them draw diagonal lines in the summary below the last "issue" to the bottom of the form so they cant write up anything more if it's on paper then verbally refuse to sign.

If they use the electronic tablet just verbally tell them you're not touching the thing.

These games take the honesty out of employee safety improvement. It's a farce and destroys employee morale.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The contract is clear. Extra-contractual agreements are not recognized by the union.

Before someone asks.... where is that in the contract ?

ARTICLE 6.Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements

"Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or collectively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way conflicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or document shall be null and void. Any such agreement or document may not be placed in an employee’s file or used by the Employer as a basis for discipline or used in connection with any disciplinary proceeding, nor may any such agreement or document nor the contents thereof be divulged to any person or entity.

In addition, the Company will not discipline an employee for refusing to sign any Company form related to the principle of a fair day’s work unless the signing is required by law or by this Agreement."

- 15 -

Overpaid Union Thug

Some of the responses here are rather disturbing. Are some of you people really that gutless? LOL. Where are your stewards on this?

Our manager straight up told us that they were pushing for signatures and quizzes hard because they were planing on using them to hold drivers accountable if they get in an accident. They started harassing people about it if they wouldn’t sign. Including tracking them down out on their routes per the district manager.

An Article 6 and 37 grievance put a stop to it but they were instructed to keep handing them out to the gutless drivers and still demand signatures. Don’t sign them! They are not your friends. They will use the forms against you when given the opportunity.

Some of the responses here are rather disturbing. Are some of you people really that gutless? LOL. Where are your stewards on this?

Our manager straight up told us that they were pushing for signatures and quizzes hard because they were planing on using them to hold drivers accountable if they get in an accident. They started harassing people about it if they wouldn’t sign. Including tracking them down out on their routes per the district manager.

An Article 6 and 37 grievance put a stop to it but they were instructed to keep handing them out to the gutless drivers and still demand signatures. Don’t sign them! They are not your friends. They will use the forms against you when given the opportunity.
All I need is a shop steward / or any other union employee as a witness. No signature required. Acknowledgment that the document was reviewed with you. That is my documentation to the path of your dismissal. As your poor work habits/behaviors continues, so does the documentation. Those who make the process more difficult than it has to be tend to be the ones who get fired in the end. Just my experience over the last 30 years.

If you sign they can try and use it against you much easier than using a refusal against you.
I would rather you don’t sign. Therefore I have documentation that this was reviewed with you on 4/15/19. And sally struthers is also documented as a witness to it. We can even go further and make the documentation even stronger, if you like.