Who reads? Name some of the best and latest books you have read.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hope it's a long, drawn-out trial.

I do too! Hopefully something that will last until.......September or even December 26th. But with my views about crime and punishment, I doubt a defense attorney will pick me for a jury. I probably won't make much of a dent in a 1168 page novel, and I don't think I will learn who John Galt is tomorrow.

P

pickup

I have always wanted to read that.

I used to read a lot when I was in high school and college.

I love to read about dystopian futures; 1984 and Brave New World are two of my favorites.

I also was a big Hemingway fan.

I used to read a lot about the WW2 era.

hmm, I loved brave new world and 1984. Never got much into Hemingway and I loved to read about ww2 but not about what went on in the pacific. I liked reading about the european battles and what the germans were up to as well as the u.s

P

pickup

I do too! Hopefully something that will last until.......September or even December 26th. But with my views about crime and punishment, I doubt a defense attorney will pick me for a jury. I probably won't make much of a dent in a 1168 page novel, and I don't think I will learn who John Galt is tomorrow.

I know you are a man of high ethics and morals but just as some people lie to get themselves out of jury duty, is it unethical to lie or better yet not reveal attitudes in order to get picked for a jury?

Who is John Galt? (that's a joke)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know you are a man of high ethics and morals but just as some people lie to get themselves out of jury duty, is it unethical to lie or better yet not reveal attitudes in order to get picked for a jury?

I sure hope not because if it is I am guilty as charged. Much the same as staying under the radar works at UPS, remaining silent or saying as little as possible during jury selection was my ticket for a 2 1/2 day mini-vacation a few years ago.

JonFrum

Not until about a third of the way through, Scratch. And things won't make much sense until then either. Then it all starts to become clear.

Incidentally, Ayn Rand first tentatively titled the book "The Strike." She changed it to "Atlas Shrugged" because she thought people might assume it was just about a labor strike, when it's really about a worldwide strike of the thinkers and producers against all forms of Collectivism.

P

pickup

I sure hope not because if it is I am guilty as charged. Much the same as staying under the radar works at UPS, remaining silent or saying as little as possible during jury selection was my ticket for a 2 1/2 day mini-vacation a few years ago.

ATTABOY!

NHDRVR

Gotta pretty good collection of books in the garage. Wife's a teacher and we both keep books since most aren't cheap and I have kept about 95% of them since college. Anyways...For fiction I have been through all of the phases.
Stephen King in the 80's. Tom Clancy in the 90's. And I have been reading a ton of mystery pulp fiction lately. My current favorite is everything by Harlan Coben. Please check out his stuff. Awesome twists.

Sports stuff is anything and everything. I just finished Joe Torre's "The Yankee Year's" because I am a huge Red Sox fan and I wanted to know what made that team tick. (Steroids apparently) Rick Reilly, Leigh Monteville (sp?), and any and all football books.
A GREAT book is "The Final Season" by Parcells/McDonough. A look inside a Jet's season and what coaches have to do to survive.

I have been through a bunch of history texts over the past year and a half. "The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin" and "Bearing the Cross" (MLK jr.) Both are incredibly detailed and not for the faint of heart in their length.

Lastly, my inner-nerd is always showing since I am into my 4th of 5th copy of the "Lord of the Rings". Once I finish it I simply begin again. I am always reading that book. I found a great copy on Amazon that is the entire novel in one hard cover edition. 50 bucks, I think.

NHDRVR

I knew I liked you for some reason - The Stand was close to a perfect book, and the last of SKs decent ones. His first (I think) called Night Shift is a collection of shorts. If you like horror and only have one book left to read in your life, read it. The Talisman by King & Straub is as good as The Stand.

Best Humor? Old Dave Barry stuff.

Best Drama? Old Tom Clancy Stuff

Best Political? Anything by PJ O'Rourke. Future books by him as well.

My favorite book of all time? (Barely edging out The Stand)

Barbarians at the Gate

Love Dave Barry...Miami Herald (I think)
I think I have a book called "Dave Barry does China". Great stuff

NHDRVR

If a graphic novel is your cup of tea (used to be mine) , may I suggest "Batman , the dark knight returns" , written in the mid 80s. It is the a story of Batman/ Bruce Wayne, and it starts about 10 years after he last wore the Batman costume. Retirement from the batman life is very rough on Bruce and as you may guess, he makes a comeback. If anyone enjoyed the last Batman movie, you will enjoy this graphic novel.

If you liked that, as I did, you would love the grapic novel "The Crow". The 1990 movie was based on it. Dark, brooding, etc,.

P

pickup

I knew I liked you for some reason - The Stand was close to a perfect book, and the last of SKs decent ones. His first (I think) called Night Shift is a collection of shorts. If you like horror and only have one book left to read in your life, read it. The Talisman by King & Straub is as good as The Stand.

Best Humor? Old Dave Barry stuff.

Is there anything but Old Dave Barry Stuff?Everytime I read his column (and I never look for it , it finds me), it will say after the last paragraph "this was a classic dave barry column"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not until about a third of the way through, Scratch. And things won't make much sense until then either. Then it all starts to become clear.

Incidentally, Ayn Rand first tentatively titled the book "The Strike." She changed it to "Atlas Shrugged" because she thought people might assume it was just about a labor strike, when it's really about a worldwide strike of the thinkers and producers against all forms of Collectivism.

Thanks for ruining the ending for me.

DS

Fenderbender
This book made me realise what we have
Один день Ивана Денисовича Odin den' Ivana Denisovicha)
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

P

pickup

If you liked that, as I did, you would love the grapic novel "The Crow". The 1990 movie was based on it. Dark, brooding, etc,.

Hmm, I've heard about it, okay, I'll try to get my hands on it , thanks.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
...but not about what went on in the pacific. I liked reading about the european battles and what the germans were up to as well as the u.s

Same here.

The only Ayn Rand I have ever read was Anthem. I was inspired to read it by the Rush album 2112.

P

pickup

Same here.

The only Ayn Rand I have ever read was Anthem. I was inspired to read it by the Rush album 2112.

I found that book in someone's garbage bookpile on recycling day. Read it through in one sitting and said cool and then noticed Ayn Rand was the author. I didn't know she was capable of writing a short novel.

P

pickup

I love to read about dystopian futures; 1984 and Brave New World are two of my favorites.

Farenheit 451 goes right into that category and its funny and scary how far seeing into the future all three books are. In the case of Farenheit 451, every household had a least one wall that was a television screen. We are close to that with everyone striving to having or having a 53 inch flatscreen tv in their houses

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just started reading "Atlas Shrugged", by Ayn Rand. I have to report for jury duty tomorrow and I wanted something to keep me occupied for a while. I feel real guilty about sitting in the air conditioned courthouse instead of delivering out of my wonderful P-700:anxious:........"cough cough"

Same here.

I found that book in someone's garbage bookpile on recycling day. Read it through in one sitting and said cool and then noticed Ayn Rand was the author. I didn't know she was capable of writing a short novel.

Read both and Fountainhead - All good books.
I thought Anthem was best for me ... it posed more questions and allowed me to think more. In that way it's a better book.
Atlas was a bit preachy for me.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I always wanted to read one of her more epic works, I just never got around to it.

I would definitely like to read Fahrenheit 451.

But I think I am going to shoot a little lower and read Artie Lange's Too Fat To Fish next instead :happy-very:. It just came out in paperback.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just finished Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. I had already heard much of the advice given here but had yet to see a step by step plan such as this one. It has inspired me to tackle my debt and I hope to be completely debt free (other than my mortgage) by Christmas 2010.