What was it like when Jim Casey died

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
I noticed most of you guys have been in UPS before the dinosaurs went extinct and some of you even retired before I was even born. So you guys are the best to ask, what was it like in UPS when Jim died?

Sometimes I will read some old fliers from the early 2000s from desks that have been abandoned in this office for years talking about the legacy of Jim and how he was a hero amongst heroes.

Do you guys really think he was really that great of a founder? if you were around when he died, how did everyone react? was it like kim jong il dying in North Korea where everyone mourned for a week straight? (Just not at gunpoint)

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
He made an appearance at my building not long before he died. I was working nights so didn't see him. Management were pretty much :censored2:ting themselves over his visit even though he was little more than a figurehead at the time.

I noticed most of you guys have been in UPS before the dinosaurs went extinct and some of you even retired before I was even born. So you guys are the best to ask, what was it like in UPS when Jim died?

Sometimes I will read some old fliers from the early 2000s from desks that have been abandoned in this office for years talking about the legacy of Jim and how he was a hero amongst heroes.

Do you guys really think he was really that great of a founder? if you were around when he died, how did everyone react? was it like kim jong il dying in North Korea where everyone mourned for a week straight? (Just not at gunpoint)
Ask @rod. They both started here on the same day

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
He died in 1983, so there has to be a couple Boomers here that remember his passing.

I was 20 yrs old and had been with UPS almost 2 yrs at that time. I was working preload sorting. I do not remember anything special about that day. There might have been a mention of it but I don’t even remember that. Pretty sad now I think about it.

pkgdriver

I remember after the strike, they even had a little package car attached to a plaque that they gave us because we were gone on strike during founders day.
1DE145B0-273E-4861-A3A8-FF416582470E.jpeg
91CF272D-17CC-4B32-BFA3-B98AB3C8BF35.gif