Who said peak wasn't coming this year?

ih8tbrn

Banned
3 weeks till Christmas and added 2 routes yesterday. That's actually significant considering they usually only run 15 or 16 at our center. But, they never hired any additional help or driver helpers here so there are going to be some late nights for some, including us on the sort. We basically stood around and twiddled our thumbs for an hour waiting for the first car to show up.

Leftinbuilding

3 weeks till Christmas and added 2 routes yesterday. That's actually significant considering they usually only run 15 or 16 at our center. But, they never hired any additional help or driver helpers here so there are going to be some late nights for some, including us on the sort. We basically stood around and twiddled our thumbs for an hour waiting for the first car to show up.

You can probably expect your start time to be moved back.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

It happens every year right after Thanksgiving. Lots of shippers worked Friday and crushed the hubs & feeders on Monday. The delivery centers get slammed on Tuesday & Wednesday. Just ask any 20 year plus driver...And yes the reloads stand around at least 45 minutes waiting for work..

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We got slammed bad yesterday, and then it slacked back off today. Our IE gal missed one of our Center's forecast by 2200 stops. I knocked out 217 stops yesterday, and had 165 today. My maximum to stay at 9.5 is about 175.

I remember my busiest day last year was 261. Volume is definitely off compared to any other year I can remember. I find it interesting that drivers are flipping out with 200 stop days. I still remember my earlier years in a bricked out P600 with 350+ stops.....

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
I don't know if we just had a better dispatch last year or what, but it seems like a lot of routes are going out much heavier. Last peak I ran the same route almost every day, and I usually went out with 180-190 stops, and they cut the business work that's normally on the route in half and gave the other half to another route. Now that route has ALL the business work it has normally, PLUS more, and going out with 200+ stops. Yesterday I left the building with 500 packages and 260 stops, man it was such a nightmare. Today I had 196 and it went MUCH smoother.

I just hope our center fixes the dispatch... I think part of the problem is Jacksonville (who dictates how many runs we're supposed to have) is being really tight on the amount of drivers they're allowing on the road, and thus screwing the rest of us.

barnyard

KTM rider
Last year, my heaviest day was 161 stops. I had a helper for 2 hours. Yesterday, I had 145, today 154. I might get a helper tomorrow.

I will say this. For all the bitching while PAS was getting implemented, it is paying off. We just started PAS in October. I am finding it easier to deliver. It's nice having the piece count in the board, I know when I can quit looking.

I am thinking that I will only use a helper for businesses and once I get everything on the shelves and in delivery order, I'll let him/her be done and do the rest myself. This afternoon, I got 65 stops done in a bit over 2 hours, one of my best afternoons ever (on this route.)

If I had a P12000 life would be wonderful.

TB

barnyard

KTM rider
I always wished for a smaller package car myself. Funny thing about UPS- they can't stand empty space. :peaceful:

One of the guys in our center that has a P800 turned down a P1000 because he was worried that they would add more stops to a heavy route......

TB

browniehound

I'm getting my but kicked out there. I have 1/2 business and 1/2 residential the other 11 months of the year. Now my businesses are getting twice as many pieces because of personal Christmas shopping at work and this is what's killing me. I'm finishing my businesses almost 2 hours later than normal. Add 130 stops to be done after 3 and I'm toast!

I was dispacthed with 170 stops today. In October I was sent out with 90-100. 170 is almost 2 days worth of work to me! I will credit my supervisor here (not the dispacth sup. the on-road) I have got help every day. I dumped 60 to a base-line route that has a helper and it took 15 minutes to transfer the work. My on-road is pissed that this work isn't just put on the route to begin with!

I don't think this guy has a clue. He sends the baseline (no pick-ups)under range with a helper and over dispatches me by 60 and I pick up 2-300 pieces and 30-60 airs every day. My boss critizes him everyday and the entire center hates him. Isn't the point to get the volume back to the hub ASAP?

Its unproductive for me to meet someone to dump 60 stops and 100 pieces when it can be done on the pre-load with the click of a button. Instead this idiot (who owns UPS stock but must not care) is wasting: 1) fuel for the drivers to meet, 2) labor at 42+/hour to transfer work and 3) labor again in having the baseline's helper twindle his thumbs for 15 minutes while we dig for packages.

All the dispatch sup. has to do is program the plan to put the work on the car in the first place by pre-loaders maiking $9.50/hour.

Its a wonder UPS makes money. Its a wonder that his superiors allow this to continue.

I don't want to be a manager, but if I was I would not tolerate this inefficency for 1 second. I don't understand why this is allowed to continue. Am I missing something?

I am pushed to meet production standards. My superiors would drool if I could produce another .25 stops/hour, but will allow 2 drivers and a helper to transfer work for 15 minutes wasting more than 45 minutes of delivery time? It just doesn't make any sense to me????

Anybody with a logical explination to this?

rod

Retired 22 years
One of the guys in our center that has a P800 turned down a P1000 because he was worried that they would add more stops to a heavy route......

TB

That's a smart man. Even if they don't add any more regular stops to your route on a daily basis you are leaving yourself open to being loaded down with bulk that won't fit into the other cars it already belongs in. Jungle rules apply at UPS- nice guts finnish last- survival of the fittest- protect yourself- shoot first ask questions later- cover your own :censored2:- eat or be eaten:peaceful:

browniehound

TB

P800? WOW! I haven't seen one of those in my center since '01 and we have 50+ routes. I didn't think they still existed! I thought they were replaced by the P6. Apparently not yet:dissapointed:.

Bad Gas!

We got slammed bad yesterday, and then it slacked back off today. Our IE gal missed one of our Center's forecast by 2200 stops. I knocked out 217 stops yesterday, and had 165 today. My maximum to stay at 9.5 is about 175.

I remember my busiest day last year was 261. Volume is definitely off compared to any other year I can remember. I find it interesting that drivers are flipping out with 200 stop days. I still remember my earlier years in a bricked out P600 with 350+ stops.....

I remember the 300 stop days too.But my helper would start and end in the building.There were no NDA stops.You could have the first 100 off by 12..Now, there is alot of wasted time starting and ending helpers.NDA stops can put out to a slow start....Also, there was no 9.5 during peak to answer to..