Who saw this coming?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
We'll get our best engineer on it. In the meantime, how about we take the high tech approach of squirting it with a jet of water.

How much water do you think it would take to keep a radar sensor clean in salt and wet snow? This morning I had to listen to a radar fault beeping because my front bumper had 2 inches of wet snow plastered onto it.

A few days ago I noticed a memo in our shop asking mechanics to note instances of the adaptive cruise applying brakes for no reason. I've had this happen before and it's not a good feeling. This technology has a ways to go IMO.

MAKAVELI

How much water do you think it would take to keep a radar sensor clean in salt and wet snow? This morning I had to listen to a radar fault beeping because my front bumper had 2 inches of wet snow plastered onto it.

A few days ago I noticed a memo in our shop asking mechanics to note instances of the adaptive cruise applying brakes for no reason. I've had this happen before and it's not a good feeling. This technology has a ways to go IMO.
The technology on your truck is not the same as these autonomous vehicles. It's much more advanced on those vehicles. With that being said I do agree it does have a ways to go before fully autonomous should be allowed on all roads and conditions.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

I've had this happen too, at a really dangerous time, and it scared the :censored2: out of me. I don't even like to use the cruise control when I drive those tractors anymore, hard to forget that feeling.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The technology on your truck is not the same as these autonomous vehicles. It's much more advanced on those vehicles. With that being said I do agree it does have a ways to go before fully autonomous should be allowed on all roads and conditions.

Agreed, instead of keeping a radar by the front license plate and camera in the windshield clean, they will need to keep all of these sensors clean or find a new technology that works while covered.

I read somewhere they are testing cars in Michigan snow, but that was followed up with the fact it was on a closed course and using 3d mapping to compensate for the sensors that wouldn't work in the bad weather. This was awhile back so I guess they could have figured that out by now.

uber_650x400_81521482676.jpg

dudebro

About a gallon. Heck, if it's a truck, 5 gallons. It occurs to me that if there isn't any windshield washer fluid, human "sensors" don't work too well either.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You put the same sheeting stuff in the water I use in the dishwasher. Those seem to come out pretty clear...

Nope.

I don't know where you live, but I did a dealer trade last month involving two 2018 Toyota Highlanders, both with all the sensors and safety nannies.

I ran into heavy, wet snow in both directions. The cars were perfectly in the snow, but all the safety sensors (front camera, radar and lidar) on the front of the cars caked with snow and were useless.

What, in your opinion, would an autonomous vehicle do in a situation like that?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Except, a video I saw today showed a forward-looking camera see the woman almost two seconds before impact. And, a camera inside showed the safety driver looking down at something (his phone) right up until impact.

A lot more has to be done.

(I see DIDO posted the video.)

MAKAVELI

Except, a video I saw today showed a forward-looking camera see the woman almost two seconds before impact. And, a camera inside showed the safety driver looking down at something (his phone) right up until impact.

A lot more has to be done.

(I see DIDO posted the video.)
I don't know what video you looked at but the one DIDO posted showed the pedestrian coming into view just before impact. The sheriff also concluded neither the car or safety driver would have been able to avoid a collision. I do agree a lot more has to be done and loose state restrictions on testing needs to be addressed as well.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I don't know what video you looked at but the one DIDO posted showed the pedestrian coming into view just before impact. The sheriff also concluded neither the car or safety driver would have been able to avoid a collision. I do agree a lot more has to be done and loose state restrictions on testing needs to be addressed as well.

Actually, if you look at the video, you will see a jump in time of about 2-3 seconds.

Somewhere, maybe earlier in the day, you could actually see the woman walking into the frame. Apparently what is available now has been edited.

You do have to admit that the safety driver wasn't paying attention to what was happening. If he had been driving and acting in the same manner, have still would have hit her.

MAKAVELI

Actually, if you look at the video, you will see a jump in time of about 2-3 seconds.

Somewhere, maybe earlier in the day, you could actually see the woman walking into the frame. Apparently what is available now has been edited.

You do have to admit that the safety driver wasn't paying attention to what was happening. If he had been driving and acting in the same manner, have still would have hit her.
The video was edited and the two views were pieced together when released by the police Dept. All I'm saying is this looks like it was an unavoidable collision. Is the tech perfect? No way. Was the safety driver distracted? Probably, but in this instance it doesn't look like she would have been able to take control of the vehicle and avoid a collision to me. Arizona rolled out the red carpet for Uber and basically placed no restrictions on them. So they also have a part in this.

MAKAVELI

Arizona says not time to rein in self-driving cars after Uber fatality

35years

Gravy route

If you look at the video frame by frame you can tell it was edited.
It would be interesting to see the video before the editing.
One has to wonder why the video was edited.
Perhaps to make it appear that there was no way for even a human driver to avoid the crash?
Is Arizona afraid of a lawsuit?

MAKAVELI

If you look at the video frame by frame you can tell it was edited.
It would be interesting to see the video before the editing.
One has to wonder why the video was edited.
Perhaps to make it appear that there was no way for even a human driver to avoid the crash?
Is Arizona afraid of a lawsuit?
That would be an even bigger lawsuit. I believe it was edited to not show the actual collision.