Who saw this coming?

35years

Gravy route
When you are driving at night you can sometimes see a deer or other hazard by the lights in the distance being blocked by the hazard without actually seeing the hazard (a dark void where the light ahead was/or should now be). A person reacts instinctively if he has driving experience, hitting the brakes. I doubt a sensor could evaluate the blockage of the lights in the distance and react in time.

over9five

Staff member
Human Driver Could Have Avoided Fatal Uber Crash, Experts Say

Zachary Moore, a senior forensic engineer at Wexco International Corp. who has reconstructed vehicle accidents and other incidents for more than a decade, analyzed the video footage and concluded that a typical driver on a dry asphalt road would have perceived, reacted, and activated their brakes in time to stop about eight feet short of Herzberg.
And thats why we shouldnt be using these cars.

Dr.Brownz

Are you sure the owner of an autonomous vehicle would be at fault? Why would anyone buy one instead of trusting themselves to drive safely if they’d be culpable for the actions of a machine outside of their control?

Only the super rich will use them because they will just be able to pay off the blood money when they run people over.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Not picking on anyone but y'all sound like a bunch of Luddites.
It's going to happen ... deal with it.
Hopefully not before you retire but it's going to happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

https://nypost.com/2018/03/29/family-of-woman-killed-by-self-driving-uber-reaches-settlement/

Well that sure didn’t take long. Uber must be trying to make it all go away as quickly as possible.

Many years ago I was involved in an accident while on road. The other driver, who was clearly at fault, received 3 citations. Unfortunately, he was seriously injured and the Company felt it was prudent to reach a financial settlement ($20K) with him rather than risk the possibility of going to court and encountering a sympathetic jury who saw $$$ for the victim.

I was pissed. I had written a 27 page statement of my version of the accident and went through a lengthy deposition all for nothing.