Who to go with

HomeDelivery

it's dependent on the local courier...

When I deliver to a business/ home combo, and I see the packages are for their business; I'll go in and collect their signature...

I've got a few farms with their businesses right next to them. eventhough they labeled the shipping label to their home address, I'll go right to their business and get a signature anyways; reduces claims for my contractors

those guys were just lazy to drive around to your business section

Home Delivery goes to business locations as well (~10% of our load is for businesses) while Ground is about 90% business and ~10% residentials

brownedout

it's dependent on the local courier...

When I deliver to a business/ home combo, and I see the packages are for their business; I'll go in and collect their signature...

I've got a few farms with their businesses right next to them. eventhough they labeled the shipping label to their home address, I'll go right to their business and get a signature anyways; reduces claims for my contractors

those guys were just lazy to drive around to your business section

Home Delivery goes to business locations as well (~10% of our load is for businesses) while Ground is about 90% business and ~10% residentials
HD, good job on those comm/resi combos. I have the same type dels. I treat the same exact way. Quick question if you would regarding your last sentence. On my route I have an Independent Packaging Store (think ups store; fedex/kinkos, but on a smaller scale) At least 3 or 4 times a year they don't get a delivery that ends up on a Home van. They get told by him, and over phone he can't del to a business. This is in Southeast NY State. Is this correct procedure?

opie

As I recall you are running the business out of your home--unless you have a separate office this would be considered to be a residential delivery. If there is indeed a separate office it would then be a commercial delivery, which cannot be DR'd. It is unfair of you to ask us to evaluate the quality of the DR without showing us a larger picture of your property or one with your preferred delivery location. I admit that DR Gate would not be my first choice---at the very least, if that was to be the DR location, I would have used a DR bag and hid it better behind the stone wall. I would think there has to be a more preferred delivery location. Was this your regular driver?
If it is shipper release then you can leave it at the business without a signature. Obviously somewhere out of sight and weather. Most cases you wouldn't be able to leave it. But you technically can leave it in the open, though common sense should prevail.

HomeDelivery

On my route I have an Independent Packaging Store (think ups store; fedex/kinkos, but on a smaller scale) At least 3 or 4 times a year they don't get a delivery that ends up on a Home van. They get told by him, and over phone he can't del to a business. This is in Southeast NY State. Is this correct procedure?

brownedout, that's totally WRONG! that HD driver should make the attempt to collect a signature from the UPS or FedEx Office store.
I've personally delivered to both stores since they're independent operators/ franchise owners & workers of either store are happy to sign for them. This in Central and South Jersey areas.

We still get some addresses that are businesses because Ground's 24 foot box trucks sometimes can't go into some areas where a smaller stepvan/ cargovan can easily squeeze through.

as far as opie's comment, we are not allowed to DR to a business without acquiring a signature, but are allowed to DR to a home if the shipper has a "no signature required" status on the label... weather bag should have been used if the gate was locked. or should have been coded for reattempt if the business was closed & access to the customer's home was restricted.

the only other way than the other previous comments to assure that OP's parcels get to the business location instead of his home location is to require shippers to use the "signature option" for all of his parcels coming inbound...

but, if he does use the 2nd line of the address forms, I'll read it and follow it (just because of my work ethic - i was somehow trained to read the lablels in reverse, from the bottom - up)

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Everyone has glazed over the most simple answer !!!

Danny should TALK to the driver and request he follow his instructions ! At worst, he probably has 2 main drivers that would deliver to him. Talking to his main driver(s) will get a lot more done than calling in complaints and getting him in trouble. That should be a last resort.

Indecisi0n

Dearest Dave

The business is to the side of the home, about 100 yards away. IT has a large parking lot, lots of parking and turning room, a staff that is there each weekday to take care of customers, who also have the education and ability to sign their names to the diad. I know it is a shock to you Yankees, but we does no how to spel ur names......

But for some reason, they rarely do.

The stone "wall" is only a col that supports the gate. IT is less than 2 feet square. Traffic going both ways had no problem seeing the package during the daytime. And of course, since we were open for business, the employees had no reason to be on the lookout for a package at the end of the drive.

And yes, there is a prefered delivery area, its called next to the cash register at the desk. The route is on one driver one day, another the next. Both drivers have 10+ years. But I would not see that as an excuse for leaving it where it was left.

d

So your saying its "out in the open where everyone can see it" but your own employees missed it?

AKX

Talk to the driver. Let him know all deliveries must be delivered to the buisness during buisness hours. Simple as that.

Re-Raise

And what type of business man do you think would close a gate and make customers open it to enter the business? God, are you all so mind numbed that you dont have a clue what it takes to get a customer?

Besides, even if the gate were closed, which it only is on saturdays, why would a UPS driver leave it in the open, in view, and very much exposed to the elements? And remember post 1? How is the gate the front door? The front door is 600+ feet away.

So you can ask questions but if we try to better understand the situation we are mind numbed? If I remember right I think you sell fish or put in fish ponds or something.

My cousin did the same work out of his home here. The packages came to his residential address. The reason I asked about the gate is because it seemed like an odd place to leave a package unless the gate was closed.

We don't deliver ground on Saturdays, surely you know that. If I were your driver I think we would have problems also after your response to my rather simple question.

Packmule

That which would determine residential or commercial is do you have a sign up that invites general public onto your property? Or do you post hours of operation? If no signs, etc are present, and this business is out of a home, it is a residential. Still, DR calls for out of sight and out of weather (DR bags if necessary) where a customer will find it. Note left if not easily found. My suspicion is this driver may have come at a time when the gate was closed. Around here, we bag stuff and leave it by the gate only when we have customer approval because we can't access the house due to locked gates or snow. Otherwise, this driver violated DR rules and if he were me, would be under a severe reprimand for the complaint you filed.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
HD, you have to drive past the entrance to the business to get to the home

If it is shipper release then you can leave it at the business without a signature. Obviously somewhere out of sight and weather. Most cases you wouldn't be able to leave it. But you technically can leave it in the open, though common sense should prevail.
Opie, last I checked, you are not to DR or release a package at a business. But for accuracy's sake, it was not released, it was left on a "signature on file"
And of course the fact that he left it at the gate, but then put front door, tells me he knew he was wrong in his decision.
So your saying its "out in the open where everyone can see it" but your own employees missed it?
Thats exactly what I said. During daylight hours, it was very visible to the roadway. And to anyone going in and out of the drive. But they come early and stay late (it happens when you take care of customers.) They would get there before daylight, and leave about 7:30-8. And remember, at 12:30 friday night I did not see it either. Not until sat am did I see it was there as I came down the drive.
Re, I know we dont deliver ground on Saturdays. But that is the only time during daylight hours that the gate is closed. and again, your cousin does simular work, thats fine. But he works out of his house, I dont. I have employees there during business hours, and have a business that is wide open to customers during that time. Which makes the piss poor delivery my fault how?

As far as problems with a customer, it is a drivers responsibility to not cause problems with a customer, and when he is the cause, it is up to the driver to correct the problem, not the customer.

This delivery is so wrong on so many levels. First, the location of the delivery, then no protection for the package. Then to add further problems, he falsified his delivery by stating that it was left at the front door, instead of where he did leave it. So that tells me what he did, he knew was wrong.

d

menotyou

bella amicizia
Cookies. Everyone loves a nice, soft, size of your hand chocolate chip cookies. Mmmmmm. They will deliver wherever you want.

Apples. Gala apples.

Just sayin' :winks:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
That which would determine residential or commercial is do you have a sign up that invites general public onto your property? Or do you post hours of operation?

All of the above apply. I have posted hours, and I have multiple signage not only at the main entrance, but various areas within a 5 mile radius.

If no signs, etc are present, and this business is out of a home, it is a residential.

you forgot to add open to the public. And the signage was not needed, only that it was a business, not a home, that was open to the public

Still, DR calls for out of sight and out of weather (DR bags if necessary) where a customer will find it. Note left if not easily found. My suspicion is this driver may have come at a time when the gate was closed. Around here, we bag stuff and leave it by the gate only when we have customer approval because we can't access the house due to locked gates or snow. Otherwise, this driver violated DR rules and if he were me, would be under a severe reprimand for the complaint you filed.

Since there is facination about the gate, the gate only has a chain that is used to keep the two halves closed. WE never use a padlock. We did once get a NDA Sat delivery, and the air driver opened the gate, made the delivery, and closed the gate behind him on the way back out. We were home at the time, but the business was closed.

I have yet to do anything on the package this time, as I want to know who the driver was. BUt on the driver release which over the years has added quite a large cost to my deliveries, I have repeatedly called and raised hell, to no avail. ITs simple really, The shipper is the one that has to do the hell raising so they can get the money back, so they can send it back to me. UPS will not refund the money to me, only to the shipper. So you have UPS who is not interested in helping out or paying out, and the shippers who say why, what is in it for me to spend all that time, and not get a return on my time. So the customer gets the screw, with really no recourse. The system is designed that way on purpose.

One last tidbit, my wife and daughter both leave early and come back late as well, and they did not see it either, so it was not just the employees. But the photos I posted were taken sat AM as I was leaving.

d

Last edited:

rocket man

Thank you for using ups. The answer to your question is in your hands. UPS wants your bussiness, some one shipped theses pkgs to you they could have had (sig required). looking at the picture it appears this is not the first package left there. you said you didnt find the pkg till (sat) ? was the pkg delivered on friday? you have so many options you have intercept , you have future delivery and will call, and you could have had left a note and said please leave tommorow. Theses are all services that are included in the price of the delivery. , Thats why we have info notices. There are to many answers to your question . each and every delivery has a story to it . bottom line is use who you want.we try to do the best we can , and so dose the compitition. we been around longer. I hope you choose us.

tarbar66

Danny, I feel your pain ($$) and I understand your dilemma. May I suggest you call the center and ask for the OMS email and send them the picture. Ask them how they would feel about this delivery and maybe ask for security to call you too. I would also ask them to put a note in Cpad about your business deliveries.

Do you get emails concerning your incoming deliveries? I forget the name of the service.

Good luck!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In my center, if your business address is the same as your residential address we are instructed to stop complete as a residential delivery. If the business is open to the public we are instructed to get a signature at time of delivery or use a signed delivery notice but still must enter as a residential stop.

A stop can be tagged as both. If the packages say Dans Fish Emporium then it's goes to the shop as commercial. If it's Mrs Danny's VSC pckg and it gets left on the front porch per DR methods then that's a Resi stop. In this case it was a bad delivery either way.

Let me offer another angle....not that it makes what happened correct or excuseable,because it's not...but we no longer focus on customer service. We have managements ridiculous numbers to answer to and this causes some drivers to use poor judgement. What can brown do for you?.......unless you're a shareholder- NOT MUCH!

opie

Opie, last I checked, you are not to DR or release a package at a business. But for accuracy's sake, it was not released, it was left on a "signature on file"
I'm talking about SHIPPER RELEASE. Shipper Release authorizes UPS to release the package or letter on the first delivery attempt without receiving a signature, even at a business. Shipper Release releases the shipper, the driver, and UPS of all liability associated with leaving the package. I was referencing to a post from someone who said you can't DR to a business, when you can when it's shipper release.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We are not allowed to dr any package at a business. I don't care if it the secretary's LL Bean, I'm getting a signature.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Basics are to be DRed anyplace, including commercial stops. Back to Danny's original theme, it is bad business to DR at a gate next to the road. Anybody could drive by and steal the package. Even if it was a new or cover driver not familiar with Danny's business, he should have went through the unlocked gate and left it at the front door. On my route, its the opposite. The Fedex driver DRs at gates and leave packages out in bad weather. I have never seen one ring a doorbell either.