Who to go with

Re-Raise

As far as the driver putting the dr location as front door, there is no option for fence. In order to put the location he would have to select other as the dr location then he would have to type in FENCE as the location.

After selecting other as the location I believe you have to scan a delivery notice before you can complete the stop.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As far as the driver putting the dr location as front door, there is no option for fence. In order to put the location he would have to select other as the dr location then he would have to type in FENCE as the location.

After selecting other as the location I believe you have to scan a delivery notice before you can complete the stop.

Whenever I have a DR location that is not on the list I select Other and then type in where I left it and, yes, you have to scan an info notice. The last time that I ran Saturday air I had one for a closed business. I checked their work vehicles and found one that was unlocked. Put the package on the passenger seat, locked the vehicle, selected DR Truck, typed in the license plate, scanned the info notice and wrote where I left pkg and put it on their front door. Turns out one of the their technicians needed the part and was coming in later that day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are not allowed to dr any package at a business. I don't care if it the secretary's LL Bean, I'm getting a signature.

I know that you have been on the bench for a while but we are allowed to DR Basic packages at businesses. I have no problem handing the package to a person--I do have a problem with leaving it outside the locked door of a closed business with a lot of foot traffic.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Basics are to be DRed anyplace, including commercial stops.

That's actually not correct. Shipper release packages should be signed for whenever being delivered to a commercial stop. However, if they are closed then the shipper release allows us to leave it outside the door with no consequence.

I know that when you scan the package it will say it can be released without a signature at apts, condos, or business stops, but UPS' 340 Methods say otherwise

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's actually not correct. Shipper release packages should be signed for whenever being delivered to a commercial stop. However, if they are closed then the shipper release allows us to leave it outside the door with no consequence.

I know that when you scan the package it will say it can be released without a signature at apts, condos, or business stops, but UPS' 340 Methods say otherwise

This makes absolutely no sense. You state that we should get an autograph if there is a person standing there yet you have no problem with leaving them outside the locked door of a closed business with a lot of foot traffic?? I do not DR Basic or shipper release packages to closed businesses. I will indirect if possible; if not, they get an info notice and I go back the following day. I can't imagine walking in the next day having to explain why I left a box in front of their closed business.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
just call your center and tell them you want your address to be signature only

i'm pretty sure i know which center delivers to you also, being as you're in my area..

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
just call your center and tell them you want your address to be signature only
Again, why should I have to do anything? There is nothing wrong with my business. There is nothing wrong with my employees. And I have already paid for a proper delivery. So why should I have to do a single thing to get my packages delivered as promised? There were at least 5 different things wrong with this delivery. There is nothing I can ask UPS to do about my deliveries that a lazy or dishonest delivery driver wont ignore or try to bypass.

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This kind of crap wouldn't happen nearly as much if mgt would just stop harassing drivers about being a second slow for a stop....the "allowance" causes many of these customer complaint,Dr claims ,and probably many injuries and accidents.

Re-Raise

Again, why should I have to do anything? There is nothing wrong with my business. There is nothing wrong with my employees. And I have already paid for a proper delivery. So why should I have to do a single thing to get my packages delivered as promised? There were at least 5 different things wrong with this delivery. There is nothing I can ask UPS to do about my deliveries that a lazy or dishonest delivery driver wont ignore or try to bypass.

d

Why did you sign a release to have your packages left if your employees are always there and your business is always open to the public?

Re-Raise

But for accuracy's sake, it was not released, it was left on a "signature on file"

A very simple solution , if I were your driver, you or an employee would have to sign for everything. If the gate was closed I would record it as closed 1 and stick a delivery notice on the gate.

705red

Browncafe Steward

d

People are trying to help you and give you advice. But you would rather just complain about every response. Danny this isnt the good ole UPS you worked for, all the employees are under pressure to get the job done and get home to their families.

You could always use Fedex and pray thet the pension never runs out of money so you could keep drawing your monthly pension. At that point we will have to come organize your business! Sounds liek your employees need it, working from 6 am to 8 pm daily???!! What do you own? A Walmart?

A while back, several on this site had very sharp critical posts about my many times choosing FEDEX to deliver the packages to my business. While there are cost savings on many of the shipments, there are other angles at play that really tip the scales.

Take for instance, the driver leaving the packages in my employee's hand, then DR'ing the delivery. That single item cost me over $350 in extra fees charged by UPS back to the shipper, which I end up having to pay. After all, the companies I use dont have the time to demand accountability and correctness, the cost is just passed on.

OR the fact that packages are left next to the gate, in plain sight of traffic, like the one below. IT was left on wednesday afternoon, Signed release at the front door. Because the employees leave the shop after dark, they did not see it. And I did not see it late Friday night after getting back from DC. I did not see it till Sat AM as I was headed out. IT rained thursday, friday and Saturday. The contents are/were very moisture sensitive. As you can see, not even a DR bag.

So again, remind me, why should I pay more to have UPS deliver?

d
Who to go with you ask. I'll say Dannyboy thank God he is back here how ever long it will be this time.

over9five

Staff member
I'm sure Danny can't always choose which delivery company his suppliers use.

If it were me, I would take it to the next level. Make a formal complaint. Go above the BMs head. He tried to be nice about it, didn't work, time for the next step.

WB Danny.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can relate to what Danny is saying.

My wife is the Human Resource and Finance Manager for a manufacturing company that spends over $50,000 a year shipping its products via UPS. As my wife, she has always been very loyal to UPS and any FedEx salesmen that ever came calling would get shown the door. Unfortunately, she is now in a position where she has no choice but to switch over to FedEx due to the constant, chronic billing errors that cost her over 2 man-hours of labor PER WEEK to get corrected. UPS is constantly hitting them with "oversize" fees even though they have designed their entire assembly line and packaging setup specifically to produce boxes that are below the size limit. She has called Customer Service literally dozens of times to no avail, and her Account Rep was actually rude with her about the number of credits that her company was continually applying for in order to get the bill corrected.

It is my opinion that UPS intentionally overbills its customers on a systematic basis with the intention of defrauding them, and is counting on the fact that many customers simply do not have the time or energy to keep on fighting to get the overbills corrected.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I can relate to what Danny is saying.

My wife is the Human Resource and Finance Manager for a manufacturing company that spends over $50,000 a year shipping its products via UPS. As my wife, she has always been very loyal to UPS and any FedEx salesmen that ever came calling would get shown the door. Unfortunately, she is now in a position where she has no choice but to switch over to FedEx due to the constant, chronic billing errors that cost her over 2 man-hours of labor PER WEEK to get corrected. UPS is constantly hitting them with "oversize" fees even though they have designed their entire assembly line and packaging setup specifically to produce boxes that are below the size limit. She has called Customer Service literally dozens of times to no avail, and her Account Rep was actually rude with her about the number of credits that her company was continually applying for in order to get the bill corrected.

It is my opinion that UPS intentionally overbills its customers on a systematic basis with the intention of defrauding them, and is counting on the fact that many customers simply do not have the time or energy to keep on fighting to get the overbills corrected.

About 50% of our personal shipments get charged with a billing correction.
This happens when a package gets squashed and it is longer and wider than when tendered to UPS.
I call up and get an adjustment every time just for the heck of it.
Its never been more than a 1 inch difference ... it seems the system would allow for normal deformation that occurs in our (and any other carriers') system.

Danny,
Don't feel bad ... we ship around 30 - 40 packages a week and almost all go by the USPS. UPS is just too expensive for packages weighing less than 5 pounds.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Sooooooo.......if I as a driver sheet up a pkg as being over-70, but it isn't, the customer gets billed extra?

Danny, why did you have to pay extra because the pkg was DR'ed in the end?

I was told at one time there was a way to record over-sized pkgs in the diad-other than over-70s-but due to driver abuse it was dkne away with. (For similar reasons we can now no longer use the address-correction option in the board.) I have a pickup that regularly sends out irregs, like the large advertisements used in dept stores, or used at industry trade shows. They maybe taller than six feet and about four feet wide and a hassle to position in my car, but because none of them are over 70 (typically around 55 lbs) I receive no allowance. I recently asked the person who ran pur time studies about it, and in a nutshell she said I'm screwed, since these don't happen every day. So I decided to put them in as over 70's, as that is the only way my "story" could be told. I could care less about whether this is dishonest in UPS' eyes, but I don't want to screw customers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

APetty, the address correct option has not been taken out of the DIAD. The reason danny received a shipping charge correction is the residential surcharge and, depending upon his location, the rural surcharge. Residentials other than Basic cost more than commercials.