cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
[SIZE=-2]An article I found in the archives:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]From IndustryWeek[/SIZE]

http://industryweek.com/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=1676

[SIZE=-2]Columns - Publication Date 9.9.1997[/SIZE]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Who's The Winner In A Strike?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Nobody--except the union bosses [/FONT]

By John L. Mariotti
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Now that the United Parcel Service strike is over, business deliveries are returning to normal. The U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, RPS, Airborne, DHL, and a host of other mail/package-delivery services may hold onto a little of the new business they struggled to accommodate while giant UPS was operating at a cripplingly low level. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]There undoubtedly will be continued posturing by Teamsters union leaders about the great gains achieved because of the solidarity of union rank-and-file members in holding out for minor changes in part-time employment rules and hanging onto their (old) pension plan--which, in the long run, may not be as good as the one the company once offered. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]This was a strike by union employees who make more than $50,000 a year, or nearly $1,000 per week. The strike-fund checks they received during the strike gave each of them $55 a week--or about two-hours of pay--which is probably equivalent to the dues they pay during a normal month. Lost wages for each striker amounted to about $900 per week. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]To simplify the calculation, let's consider a four-week strike that costs workers $3,600 apiece--or almost 8% of their annual pay. Over the five-year term of the new contract, these workers would have to receive at least 1.5% higher pay each year than they would have gotten without the strike--just to compensate for their losses during the strike. It does not appear that they received that much of an increase by going on strike. The major strike-related changes involved part-time employment issues. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]During the four-week strike, the regular hourly UPS workers received almost no pay. But did any of the union officials lose any pay? Are you kidding? [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Although company managers continued to receive their salaries, their losses will show up in the form of unrealized incentive- or stock-plan payments due to the financial impact of the strike. Moreover, the company estimates that 15,000 jobs will disappear due to business losses resulting from the strike. That estimate may be high, but quite a few workers are likely to end up in unemployment lines. UPS customers' business was disrupted, seriously so in some cases. The entire country suffered inconvenience at best and costly problems at worst. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]So who won? Not UPS management. Managers will incur decreases in future earnings due to sub-par performance by the company and its stock. Not customers. Many of them were financially impaired. Not the small businesses that suffered financial distress due to their inability to receive incoming materials or to ship goods. And not the UPS union employees. They are unlikely to recover their lost wages over the next five years. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Throw in a few injuries due to emotions flaring into minor violence, mix with a deep-seated animosity toward "scabs" who crossed the picket lines because they needed their paychecks, and company morale, unity, and teamwork could be damaged for a long time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Wait a minute; there does seem to be one group of winners. The Teamsters officials continued to receive full pay during the strike. They got tons of publicity, bolstering their hopes of arresting the continued decline in union membership in America. Their posturing was absolutely "heroic." [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Now that the strike is settled, union leaders--or at least their union coffers--will receive more dues income because of agreed-upon changes in the strike settlement. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Isn't that ironic? The union bosses are supposed to be working for the rank and file, but instead the rank and file is really working for them! Maybe it isn't so surprising that union membership has been falling. After all, nobody ever said the working people of America are stupid. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]The UPS settlement isn't the end of the story. The United Auto Workers union continues to shut down--or threaten to shut down--plants operated by General Motors Corp., whose market share has been dropping. Coincidence? I don't think so. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Maybe the Japanese have a better way. When they feel a "strike" is called for, they hold a meeting, wear black armbands or other markings to register their dissatisfaction, and then go back to work to protect their jobs. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Are all unions totally misguided? Probably not, but as long as the only leverage they have is to become the employers' adversary and stage work stoppages, nobody wins except the union leaders. But their days could be numbered. [/FONT]

hangin455

Can't say it much better than this does - nobody wins in a strike. I'm sure that there are all kinds of people (Ft/PT/Inside/Feeder) who feel that there's something lacking about this contract in some form or other but typically the Teamsters don't agree to a contract without having their big concerns addressed. I'm sure there are things that both sides wanted and neither side got em all. This is the nature of collective bargaining.

filthpig

What is the point in reposting these anti-union articles?
I didn't read anything that wasn't true or common knowledge. I think all elected union positions should be on a volunteer basis. The only people the union should pay are its lawyers and office staff.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
An email campaign has been brought to my attention that encourages its recipients to "take down" this site with anti contract posts. I find that childish and annoying so I looked through the archives to find articles that oppose the views of the "campaign."

The whole point of this forum is to provide an equal playing field to express all points of view. To organize people to exploit the forum and use it to promote one groups agenda is unfair and I'm not very happy about it.

brazenbrown

Cheryl,

Thanks for your information!

I remember reading many articles like these during and after the '97 strike.

It's true that NOBODY wins in a strike and some of the spoiled self entitled venting on some of the other threads just shows how ignorant people have become and when not fully informed they will react negatively instead of using their better judgment and patience.

I have noticed a lot of new users and I'm sure that TDU and some of the anti- Company and anti- union sources have their agendas in trying to disrupt the tentative agreement that the company and union have come together on even before they know all the details.

It's too bad that the browncafe has temporarily become a breeding ground for the reactionary based and uninformed. On the other hand I'm sure you would expect something like this given the importance of the matter and the openness with which this forum operates.

This to shall pass and when the contract negotiations are over the ones promoting all the hostility by telling others to vote no instead of telling them to inform themselves and vote accordingly will crawl back into their holes and disappear..:thumbup1:

Again, thanks for providing us with this forum to express our opinions.

brazenbrown

You're kidding right??:bored:

What is the point in voting if you don't know what you're voting for??:mad:

The article say's that nobody wins in a strike including; the worker, management, the Company and the customer.

All the glib uninformed responses that say they'll just vote no without using their heads are beginning to get a little sickening.:wink:

Leftinbuilding

Thank you Cheryl. The sense of entitlement by some of the recent posters is astounding. If they only knew how ignorant they look with their single issue, knee jerk reaction to rumors.

The Union has never paid my bills...Actually I got $300 a week for a few weeks in '97...But that didn't pay for much.....A stronger company is better for the employess than a stronger union.

705red

Browncafe Steward
When you strike of course there will be losses on both sides from lost revenue and customers from the companies side and lost wages and possibly job losses imediately after a strike as in 97. But as we all know anyone that was employeed here before the strike, we have seen $10 an hour in actual raises, more added to our pension, health and welfare, prescription cards for p-timers, stronger overtime language, etc. Not all of it came immediately but this is all since the 97 strike which is over 2 contracts. While we wait for the details in full on this new offer from the company, its to early to talk strike talk. If the contract would get voted down they would have to go back to the table and continue negioating, it does not mean that we would be walking a picket line during xmas or even next aug. But all this anti strike, anti union messaging from this sites administration is very shocking to many of us, is ups pushing you to sell this contract for them?

Lastly a strike is the unions last resort and strongest bargaining weapon while negioating, it is a very serious issue but we are jumping the gun here way to quick.

moreluck

golden ticket member
705....accusations like that are uncalled for. Cheryl doesn't work for UPS in any capacity and you should know better. I, for one, appreciate some actual "facts" about who wins in a strike instead of the rantings from unknowns about how they're gettin' screwed.

area43

In reference to all the pre-contract hype. Folks try and take it with a grain of salt. Both sides. UPS is in my blood. I have spent a big portion of my life with this company. UPS reflects my own work ethics. Old School. I was raised to work your ass off. When I recieved my job at UPS. I was thrilled to death. I was just out of Marine Corp Boot Camp, going to college and working at Kmart. In sept of 1985, I went for my interview. Before I went I put on a nice white long sleeve collared shirt, blue pants, a tie and my spit polished Marine Dress shoes, also had the high and tight Marine Corp hair cut. The Interview was at a down town hotel. This interview, was for everyone that was applying for Christmas help. A one time interview and app. process. I was ready, Locked and cocked. LOL To my surpise just about the whole city was there. The line was about a 1/2 mile or so. Great day! I knew my chances were slim to none, but that didn't detour me. Hey! I was a Marine. When it was my turn to go before the UPS interviewer I stood at parade rest. I addressed him Yes, sir. No, sir. He was impressed.

Anyhow, out of about 500 apps. only 5 was selected. I being one of them. I was truely overjoyed and felt blessed. Let me also point out. The reason for the big turn out was because of the great pay and benefits UPS offers. Teamsters have contributed to that sucess. Moreluck you are correct you need balance. A constant shelf check list. Both sides have positives and negatives. I try and stay open minded. Its easy to go from hard core Teamster supporter. To hard core UPS supporter. Blind loyalist. Do we have them on both sides? Are we seeing it here at the Brown Cafe? Cheryl has done us all a great service here by providing us this site. I am greatful. Cheryl seems to be a Lady of stong character. She is a true Leader. She has no poblem taking a stand or putting someone on the stand for their possible inappropriate actions. She is a true leader. I am proud to have Cheryl as our Site Adminstrator.

Again, I will refer to our great founder Jim Casey. Another great leader. To be fair. I hate to say it. I'm still trying to find a Teamster President that can compare to him. Lets be honest folks. This is coming from a shop stewart of 3 years and a 22 year Teamster Member. On a more positive note about the Teamsters. Corrupt or not, I know that the majority of us, myself included would not even be thinking about retirement or a contract for that matter if it weren't for the Teamsters. Jim Casey would be greatly sadden by this. Lets all just have a group Hug. How about one big Bear Hug. LOL sincerely Area 43

BigBrownSanta

Before the '97 strike, the annual wage increase for a driver at top rate was $0.25 an hour. IMO, this last pay raise ($1.00) was the equivelent to 4 years of raises under the old pre-strike contract. While the author is correct that we lost 2 weeks pay during the strike, the wage increases we have received since then completely outweigh that loss.

brazenbrown

When you strike of course there will be losses on both sides from lost revenue and customers from the companies side and lost wages and possibly job losses imediately after a strike as in 97. But as we all know anyone that was employeed here before the strike, we have seen $10 an hour in actual raises, more added to our pension, health and welfare, prescription cards for p-timers, stronger overtime language, etc. Not all of it came immediately but this is all since the 97 strike which is over 2 contracts. While we wait for the details in full on this new offer from the company, its to early to talk strike talk. If the contract would get voted down they would have to go back to the table and continue negioating, it does not mean that we would be walking a picket line during xmas or even next aug.

But all this anti strike, anti union messaging from this sites administration is very shocking to many of us, is ups pushing you to sell this contract for them? Lastly a strike is the unions last resort and strongest bargaining weapon while negioating, it is a very serious issue but we are jumping the gun here way to quick.

What are you talking about? The articles clearly say that no one wins in a strike and Cheryl posted them to help inform others..

When you say "shocking to many of us" are you referring to your little group of anti-Company cohorts who have been hi jacking the threads lately??:mad:

Now I get it...So your plans to influence the masses through this website aren't going to plan??

You've just lost all credibility dude!!:mad:

The stories Cheryl posted are to show no one wins in a strike and you take and spin it to make your own agenda. I thought shop stewards were suppose to inform their members and encourage them to vote. Can't you get in trouble telling people to vote NO before they even have all the details??

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
But all this anti strike, anti union messaging from this sites administration is very shocking to many of us, is ups pushing you to sell this contract for them?
The administration of this site has been sending out anti union messages? LOL, sure we have... if anyone has ever received any email or private message from me that has anything to do with a union topic please respond to this thread.

I don't have a dog in the union fight. I just don't like a group to come into the forum I created to be an even playing field and "take it down" to sell their own agenda.

There has been an organized effort to "take down" this forum by a group with an anti contract agenda. In an attempt to balance the information available on this site I have simply pasted historical articles which analyze the 1997 UPS strike from a point of view different from the other articles recently posted here.

Obviously you are happier when the campaign's viewpoint is overwhelming represented...

705red

Browncafe Steward
What are you talking about? The articles clearly say that no one wins in a strike and Cheryl posted them to help inform others..

When you say "shocking to many of us" are you referring to your little group of anti-Company cohorts who have been hi jacking the threads lately??:mad:

Now I get it...So your plans to influence the masses through this website aren't going to plan??

You've just lost all credibility dude!!:mad:

The stories Cheryl posted are to show no one wins in a strike and you take and spin it to make your own agenda. I thought shop stewards were suppose to inform their members and encourage them to vote. Can't you get in trouble telling people to vote NO before they even have all the details??
Your right i came here in 06 just to hijack our contract thread discusions for our contract in 08. I have no intention of influencing the masses, but like i said when an impartial administrator sways one way that does not directly involve them in life, i would like to speak my mind on it.

So if this is an open discussion forum, does that mean that a moderator or the administraor is free from answering questions or having statements or opinions posted about them?

By the way im not anti company, i just dont trust them there is a difference!