Why can't they leave us alone?

jedispork

I'm a unloader for the preload shift. My supervisor told me that I had the lowest numbers when I was timed the day before. I finished a 53 foot trailer in about 2 hours. I pulled about 2 very heavy trains of irregulars out of it by myself. I'm not sure how other buildings are set up but our belts don't reach the end. You have to carry the boxes back to the belt when your at the end which is when I think I was being timed. Why can't they time me on a day that I finish a regular feeder in 45 minutes or less?

I just want to do my job and be left alone. I'm neither the fastest or slowest unloader but for them to throw these times in my face that mean nothing is very frustrating. If they really want a accurate timing on someone it should be averaged over a month and go by weight and how many irregulars you have to pull.

They are no longer making their numbers because we have a new center manager thats going crazy about load stands and made everyone sign a paper. I'm wore out wrestling with the thing every day. The people that are still getting good unload times aren't using them.

They announced today that to make their numbers they want to lay off more people. How does this make sense? We have 4 supervisors from another shift following us around with clipboards telling us were not drinking enough water or whatever crazy bs they can think of.

We have 4 supervisors from another shift following us around with clipboards telling us were not drinking enough water or whatever crazy bs they can think of.
They will never leave you alone when it comes to the numbers, that is their blood.
The 4 guys that are telling you to drink more water are probably from the safety department and don't give a hoot about your numbers. The only numbers they are concerned with are the accidents and injuries.

screamin chicken

They will never leave you alone when it comes to the numbers, that is their blood.
The 4 guys that are telling you to drink more water are probably from the safety department and don't give a hoot about your numbers. The only numbers they are concerned with are the accidents and injuries.

Thats not true I run between 17-20 stops an hr. depending on the bulk, and if my preloader has a good/bad day. I still get messed with all the time.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Ahem...OK...Repeat after me...

"I am working safe at the best pace possible using existing guidelines"

You cannot get fired for going slow. You can get fired for cutting corners. Other that that, see 9-5s post.

And never sign anything. Ever.

Fnix

in my building the if there are alot of irregs in the trailer they take it to the irreg bay. dont worry about the numbers. you could be the fastest unloader and they would treat you the same.

rod

Retired 22 years
They are just "messing with your mind" and UPS wrote the book on that subject. Work safely at a safe speed and remember if someone is carrying a clipboard, that someone has to find something wrong or else UPS will take their little clipboard away and find them a real job.

helenofcalifornia

"In one ear, out the other" is my favorite. Though it takes years of working for UPS to realize the Company has ADD and can't focus on a plan longer than two weeks. This new rattling of your cage sounds like one to me. In one ear....

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
in my building the if there are alot of irregs in the trailer they take it to the irreg bay. dont worry about the numbers. you could be the fastest unloader and they would treat you the same.

Remember, if you are the fastest unloader they will give you more work. Just like anything else, more stops, more cars to load, ect.

ALWAYS BEAT THE HORESE THAT DOES THE MOST WORK>>>>>>

Now go to the water troff and refill because you have another trailer to unload.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Remember, if you are the fastest unloader they will give you more work. Just like anything else, more stops, more cars to load, ect.

ALWAYS BEAT THE HORESE THAT DOES THE MOST WORK>>>>>>

Now go to the water troff and refill because you have another trailer to unload.

Very, very true - Your reward for going faster, doing more, will always be.....more work.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Concentrate on your methods. If ever the time comes when you are being "talked" to, it will be about the methods you were not using properly. Your pph will not even be brought up. I know alot of unloaders don't like using loadstands but if you get injured in a trailer and don't have a loadstand it's going to get pretty ugly.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Concentrate on your methods. If ever the time comes when you are being "talked" to, it will be about the methods you were not using properly. Your pph will not even be brought up. I know alot of unloaders don't like using loadstands but if you get injured in a trailer and don't have a loadstand it's going to get pretty ugly.

Only thing a loadstand does, in my opinion, is getting in the way of irregs & is a good thing to trip over

BrownEvo

I was a loader and they wouldn't stop bugging me about load quality which was good, but it needed to be better at times. I hated the guy that came around with the camera who says "go all the way to the top!" I wanted to be left alone they wondered why it took me a whole sort (day) to load one 53 footer.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm a unloader for the preload shift. My supervisor told me that I had the lowest numbers when I was timed the day before. I finished a 53 foot trailer in about 2 hours. I pulled about 2 very heavy trains of irregulars out of it by myself. I'm not sure how other buildings are set up but our belts don't reach the end. You have to carry the boxes back to the belt when your at the end which is when I think I was being timed. Why can't they time me on a day that I finish a regular feeder in 45 minutes or less?

I just want to do my job and be left alone. I'm neither the fastest or slowest unloader but for them to throw these times in my face that mean nothing is very frustrating. If they really want a accurate timing on someone it should be averaged over a month and go by weight and how many irregulars you have to pull.

They are no longer making their numbers because we have a new center manager thats going crazy about load stands and made everyone sign a paper. I'm wore out wrestling with the thing every day. The people that are still getting good unload times aren't using them.

They announced today that to make their numbers they want to lay off more people. How does this make sense? We have 4 supervisors from another shift following us around with clipboards telling us were not drinking enough water or whatever crazy bs they can think of.

Agree w/ the others. Just do your job. There is nothing they can do about numbers except move you somewhere else, or move onto targeting someone else. If you completed your 30 days, then just do what you do best and work safely. Don't listen to them and don't sign anything when they ride you to move faster. It is UPS's demeaning, harrassing way of operating.

UPSNewbie

Brother, I've definitely been there. Just hang on and they'll find someone else to pick on next week.

evilleace

"Fair days work for a fair days pay" there are no numbers in the contract 45 min is to fast get it done in an hour and you will be fine don't speed up for them or you can expect more work tommorow.

blue efficacy

Show no signs of weakness. If you show management you won't be intimidated by their attempts to harass you over your numbers, they'll move on to an easier target.

A backbone is necessary if you want to stay with the company more than a year. Management likes to see what they can get away with when it comes to how they treat the younger kids.