Why can't they leave us alone?

screamin chicken

when I started I was in the feeders (long time ago) the PT sup. would ride my rear, finally one day he was behind me looking at his stupid watch and I had a long tube and turned around and he was in my way and got smacked right in the mouth, he never messed with me again. I then was so fast that they would have to shut the belt off because none of the loaders could load becasue there was to much flow.:happy-very:

jedispork

I refused to sign the paper for several weeks as did everyone else. The harassment became to much and our union rep didn't seem interested in helping us. They told our supervisor she would be fired if she didnt sign and enforce everyone to use them. As everyone else said there is nothing they can do except move you.
They have moved people to loading package cars for punishment. I would hate to go out there.

I'm a bit calmer now. The supervisor has actually told me that I'm her favorite employee because I always do what I'm told. I end up taking irregs after unload when everyone else fights with her about it. When I was feeling overly grouchy one day I told her its not for her its about doing my job and she needs to start acting like a supervisor and stop letting certain employees boss her around. It felt wonderful seeing her reaction to that.

As far as the load stands go they are really dangerous. I was trying to express my concerns to one of the big saftey auditors that was giving us training and he had no idea what I was talking about. I honestly think they are trying to make it safer for us but they just don't know what there doing.

I'm going to unload as fast as I can tommorow while trying to use a load stand. It can be fun to give them what they want because then everyone just stands around cause the belts won't stay on.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I don't understand why people come to the cafe for advice when they have no intention of using it.......

[/QUOTE]
I'm going to unload as fast as I can tomorrow while trying to use a load stand. It can be fun to give them what they want because then everyone just stands around cause the belts won't stay on.[/QUOTE]

Other upsers gave you some great advice and this is what you understood from it...... Yikes...… Give him a couple years and he will figure it out....

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
"In one ear, out the other" is my favorite. Though it takes years of working for UPS to realize the Company has ADD and can't focus on a plan longer than two weeks. This new rattling of your cage sounds like one to me. In one ear....

You are absolutely right about UPS having ADD. I do like AAD better than the "New Flavor of the Week or Month" cause that's all the longer they would last.

UPSNewbie

About load stands: I've told this story I think, but here it goes.

It was a nice regular morning on the unload. I got to my next wall, being observed and it being drilled to use the load stand, I grabbed it, shimmied up it, and moved a few packages. Then it collapsed. Boxes fell on top of me as I fell to the floor. I cleared my walkway, grabbed the stand, and handed the stand to the sup. Told him which orifice he could shove it, and continued with my trailer. I was spitting angry.

Anyways. You're definitely not heeding great advice here. Once you "show them who's boss," they will continue to hold you to that standard of PPH that you just established. Scratch my last up there. More harassment will flow your way. Enjoy.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Only thing a loadstand does, in my opinion, is getting in the way of irregs & is a good thing to trip over
Last month at our hub it was loadstands, this month it is keeping your egress clear. Whatever it is at the time it is what they want you to do. If they tell you to use a loadstand and it slows you down...slow down, if they tell you they want your egress clear,take the time to pull your steel. Right now the new hires aren't as plentiful as in the past and there are a lot of training supes trying to find ways to justify their positions. Not following the methods they want you to use because you feel it is a nuisance or it slows you down does that for them. I had to witness an employee today who wanted to RTS an egress training paper. He wrote RTS on it and I told him that was as good as signing it. Just try to do the job to the best of your abilities and count on being "trained" on a lot more things for a while and when things get back to normal we can get back to normal.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Last month at our hub it was loadstands, this month it is keeping your egress clear. Whatever it is at the time it is what they want you to do. If they tell you to use a loadstand and it slows you down...slow down, if they tell you they want your egress clear,take the time to pull your steel. Right now the new hires aren't as plentiful as in the past and there are a lot of training supes trying to find ways to justify their positions. Not following the methods they want you to use because you feel it is a nuisance or it slows you down does that for them. I had to witness an employee today who wanted to RTS an egress training paper. He wrote RTS on it and I told him that was as good as signing it. Just try to do the job to the best of your abilities and count on being "trained" on a lot more things for a while and when things get back to normal we can get back to normal.

Egress has been the flavor of the month here as well. Apparently Keter audit didn't go too well here and a hefty fine was applied for egress issues.

I'm thinking that somewhere in the UPS system OSHA came down on us for egress violations.

Ever notice that anytime management says "OHSA" it's done in an lamost whisper?

705red

Browncafe Steward
I'm thinking that somewhere in the UPS system OSHA came down on us for egress violations.

Ever notice that anytime management says "OHSA" it's done in an lamost whisper?
From what i have heard OSHA was called in in Ohio. It resulted in $250,000 in fines. Now ups is running around telling people they have to sign this "OSHA" form.

The form i have seen is not from OSHA, so none of us have signed it.

tieguy

Banned
From what i have heard OSHA was called in in Ohio. It resulted in $250,000 in fines. Now ups is running around telling people they have to sign this "OSHA" form.

The form i have seen is not from OSHA, so none of us have signed it.

why red are you now an expert on ohio residing in Ill?:happy-very:

tiegirl

tiegirl
At least you have the safety guys on your side. I do not have anyone on my side. I work in an office and it is the same way. You can do everything the exact way they tell you and you are still wrong. They will never leave us alone.

There is no such thing as having pride in the job I do because there will be someone there to tell me how bad I completed the job I thought was handled very well. I believe it is the economy. As things start to get better and we are too busy working and the ones monitoring us are too busy monitoring the work coming in I think it will be easier if not I am out of here.

I know I hard I work andI know what pride I take in my job. My customers like me. I feel like when I do something for my accounts it is appreciated by them but not by UPS. I also feel like the work I do keeps those pacakges coming in and therefore keeps the jobs in the field going.

Something is always wrong according to the management or the man as well like to call them. I am tired of being put down by the man who think they can always do it better. If they can do it better why are they not doing. Because they cannot do it. They can only put down what you do.

In my office we collective spend more time writing letters of how we are going to improve than we do working. Why can they not see what they are doing. They make us unproductive. They will interept a perfectly good production day to tell us how bad we are and what area we need to improve in if we want to continue to work for UPS. Well, I am questioning whether I want to work for UPS.

There are other companys out there that pay just as well and treat you with respect to being a human being instead of a sub par person. It is terrible to leave work everyday feeling like you cannot accomplish a simple task and that your best effort that pleased your account was seen as below standard work for UPS.:knockedout:

I'm a unloader for the preload shift. My supervisor told me that I had the lowest numbers when I was timed the day before. I finished a 53 foot trailer in about 2 hours. I pulled about 2 very heavy trains of irregulars out of it by myself. I'm not sure how other buildings are set up but our belts don't reach the end. You have to carry the boxes back to the belt when your at the end which is when I think I was being timed. Why can't they time me on a day that I finish a regular feeder in 45 minutes or less?

I just want to do my job and be left alone. I'm neither the fastest or slowest unloader but for them to throw these times in my face that mean nothing is very frustrating. If they really want a accurate timing on someone it should be averaged over a month and go by weight and how many irregulars you have to pull.

They are no longer making their numbers because we have a new center manager thats going crazy about load stands and made everyone sign a paper. I'm wore out wrestling with the thing every day. The people that are still getting good unload times aren't using them.

They announced today that to make their numbers they want to lay off more people. How does this make sense? We have 4 supervisors from another shift following us around with clipboards telling us were not drinking enough water or whatever crazy bs they can think of.

Egress was the number one priority in our preload from 1991-1996 in fear of WISHA. 220pph was second. Then in 94 or 95 came conveyor securing.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
When I first started & was unloading, I was the same way - worried about how fast I went, paranoid about the negative attention.

I very quickly learned that, not only should you ignore it, but go a step further - make it fun.

When I would get some kind of grief, I would cock my head sideways, cross my eyes, let drool fall out of my mouth, then start laughing like a lunatic - as the Sup was talking to me.

I was never bothered by the same sup twice.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I am unloading on nights and our wallsweeps, (use the term loosely), only have been emptying the slides. But low and behold we had a keter audit going on tonight and the wallsweeps were in and out of the trailers all night. They'll probably have to take the night off tomorrow. Musta wore em out having to actually work all night.