Why Cut Routes If Balance Of Drivers Are Over-Worked?

UPSNewbie

Now this I agree with.

I do believe if you look at just the dollar and cents of the bottom line, UPS is saving money. Atleast I hope so. But at what expense long term? I know that Air's (very profitable) are taking a hit and service is not where it was........damages I am sure have risen as they are overworking the preloaders and blets.....injuries up do to being overwroked, I am sire offsets any savings and probablly costing UPS more in the long run.

Quarter to quarter is the way to live. :peaceful:

MR. UPS

By cutting a route that keeps on driver off road and constitutes for less over all miles on-road. Also the chance of one extra driver causing an incident.Also to load up on drivers that you know are goin to go under rather sending a driver out who will EAT-UP-OVERTIME.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
I worked almost 10.5 today and expect to have as much tomorrow (Mother's Day). I average about 50 hours per week. Some days it gets to me but if you didn't know that overtime was part of the equation when you hired in you weren't looking very hard. It's part of the job and has been since I was hired in 1976. There is relief contractually for those who want to pursue that avenue.

bluehdmc

I have been trying to figure this out as well. Here is the way I have computed the figures:

Scenario 1:
3 Drivers going out with 10.7 hours of work each = 365.00 in overtime.
The cover driver that is laid off is also being paid 136.80 to work the inside doing a double/split shift.
Total spent by UPS 501.80 plus bennies/workman’s comp and the like

Scenerio 2:
If they added another route to cover the same "overtime"...the work could be done by a cover driver for 136.80. In my building they would then need to hire 2 part timers to fill the vacancies left by the laid off driver being returned to work. The newly hired parttimers pay alone would be an increase expense of 76.00. This brings our growing expense to 206.80. This does not include workman’s comp and payroll taxes. Employment tax for UPS is probably around 6%....Workman’s comp around 7.5 and unemployment around 6. Grand total 19.5% of 76 around 14.50. So add the 14.50 to the 206.80 you get 221.30. UPS also has to pay into the pension plan for the new PART TIME employee's and that would cost around 60.00. Grand total 281.30. I am sure there are a few other expenses I am missing. At this point it would cost UPS 220 LESS to add the driver. But I did not take into consideration the cost of the additional truck, insurance, gas and any other expenses.

One thing no one figures in this scenario. The drivers out on delivery are "expensed" to package delivery operations, the drivers in the hub, loading and unloading are "expensed" to the hub. So package delivery is keeping their labor costs down, but the hub's costs are going up.
We have feeder drivers in No Jersey in the hub and some are being told they aren't fast enough, missorts, etc. I'd say one reason for all the "harrassment" (I don't want to use that word, but that seems to best describe it.) is the hub's labor costs have gone up. They could have 2 or 3 new hires for what they are paying drivers to work inside.

bluehdmc

I have been trying to figure this out as well. Here is the way I have computed the figures:

Scenario 1:
3 Drivers going out with 10.7 hours of work each = 365.00 in overtime.
The cover driver that is laid off is also being paid 136.80 to work the inside doing a double/split shift.
Total spent by UPS 501.80 plus bennies/workman’s comp and the like

Scenerio 2:
If they added another route to cover the same "overtime"...the work could be done by a cover driver for 136.80. In my building they would then need to hire 2 part timers to fill the vacancies left by the laid off driver being returned to work. The newly hired parttimers pay alone would be an increase expense of 76.00. This brings our growing expense to 206.80. This does not include workman’s comp and payroll taxes. Employment tax for UPS is probably around 6%....Workman’s comp around 7.5 and unemployment around 6. Grand total 19.5% of 76 around 14.50. So add the 14.50 to the 206.80 you get 221.30. UPS also has to pay into the pension plan for the new PART TIME employee's and that would cost around 60.00. Grand total 281.30. I am sure there are a few other expenses I am missing. At this point it would cost UPS 220 LESS to add the driver. But I did not take into consideration the cost of the additional truck, insurance, gas and any other expenses.

I'm an off the street feeder driver, they seem to cut feeders to 8 hrs, but the guys that have come up from package say they cut routes. I'm sure someone sitting behind a desk has crunched all these #. Feeder runs usually have to make a sort someplace, so they can't really make a driver do 2 runs instead of 1. They are using a lot more 53' trailers on the rails though.

MobileBA

In Feeder "Shifters" are not allowed to work more than 8hrs......NO OVERTIME! My vacation check is finally bigger than my weekly check! Point is this really doesn't make sense. Overtime for delivery drivers, no overtime for shifters.......and the wheel of life at UPS keeps turning.

S

speeddemon

In addition to fuel savings (to and from areas), the company does not have to contribute to H&W for employees not working. ALSO there are no contributions after 8 hours. So they save money having employees working over 8, rather than more employees working 8.

Did that make any sense?

NO. Our miles are actually up because we are covering the same delivery area with less drivers. Dispatch is to heavy due to routes cut out so they cant make it in. More drivers have to break off to meet someone to get thier air and ground picked up, thus driving up thier miles and the cost of running the truck per mile. Overtime pay is extremely high. 9.5 grievances are rolling in too. More cost to the bottom line. All of our employees are working, so no savings there either. Our production is down, miles are up. Moral is in the tank. Number crunchers are my heros....Idiots. So you tell me, is it worth it? NO.

S

speeddemon

By cutting a route that keeps on driver off road and constitutes for less over all miles on-road. Also the chance of one extra driver causing an incident.Also to load up on drivers that you know are goin to go under rather sending a driver out who will EAT-UP-OVERTIME.

You must be really young.

paidslave

Exactly. I dbl counted the driver at 136.80. If you take it away from both scenarios, (making it a wash) you still come up with the same final answer. I had the driver in each equation to make it easier to understand, but I guess that didn't work.

As far as insurance, do we know what the deal they have with the insurance company? Perhaps they have a bare bones insurance for parked vehicles and pay a higher premium for vehicles out on the road? I have a truck parked that I have just the state minimum liability on that vehicle while it is mothballed. It would not surprise me to see something like this with the size of UPS and their power to negotiate deals with insurance companies. Would make sense for them not to pay full coverage for a vehicle that isn’t being driven.

Gas can't be a wash. We have routes that take an hour to get on area. 2 hours of commute for and additional vehicle has to burn some gas...right?

Right keep the 4 guys in a loop loaded till the gills and have them all deliver in rush hour traffic doing splits off a broken out route! In my figures it is costing UPS a lot more money in fuel having guys dodge in and out of rush hour traffic and fair to say driver fatigue resulting in possible accidents! I feel like a lemon constantly squezzed by newbie gungho stupidvisors trying to act like they know what they are doing!