Why did I have to work till 9PM last night?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I had 25 more delivery pieces that normal, 20 less pieces picked up, 20 more delivery stops than normal, and 2 businesses closed that are not regular pickup accounts(closed many times on Fridays anyways). I had zero business pick up accounts closed. An 11 hour day. Yeah, thats great.

Ok, so what is a normal day for you? 9.5 - 9.8. You did not tell us if the 20 stops are business or residential. Are they near you? How many pick up accounts do you have?

Sorry - all the hard core union posters on BC brag about how much they make an hour or have made this year and they are glad they are not management. Well, when I left early on friday I chalked it up to one of my "benefits" of being in management.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ok, so what is a normal day for you? 9.5 - 9.8. You did not tell us if the 20 stops are business or residential. Are they near you? How many pick up accounts do you have?

Sorry - all the hard core union posters on BC brag about how much they make an hour or have made this year and they are glad they are not management. Well, when I left early on friday I chalked it up to one of my "benefits" of being in management.

Too bad you people can't occasionally chalk up a good idea or two.

helenofcalifornia

I kind of agree with Dragon. Besides the hard physical work that the driver does, management has to put up with unknown BS from upper management. You take that "benefit" Dragon; I'll take mine.

Re-Raise

You know what I ve decided .. screw em. Obviously the only thing management can do is increase the number of stops per car and then sit on their ass and wait to see if they need to run missorts.

They are all pissed that we make 43 something an hour for overtime. I was pissed the other day when they screwed up the dispatch and gave me a split in an area I didn't know that I didn't need.

I just decided why fight it. I waited for people to answer the door. I ran it according to trace.. which was interesting.

I had a great day . I think at least my job doesn't take me away from home for weeks at a time. I get 7 weeks of vacation and most days I do make it home at a decent time.

If they want to up the stops per car .. make them pay for it.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
You know what I ve decided .. screw em. Obviously the only thing management can do is increase the number of stops per car and then sit on their ass and wait to see if they need to run missorts.

I do not agree with raising the SPC however, we have done the same thing 23 years in a row. I guess the only thing you and I can do is make the best of a bad situation. I go home early - you stick it to the company....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dragon, are you at least willing to concede that there will be a point to where SPC can no longer be raised without adversely affecting the health of our drivers and perhaps the safety of the general public? I may not be using this in the proper context but wouldn't the concept of diminishing returns have to come in to play at some point?

tracker2762

My personal situation regarding stops per hour are directly related to the reduction in air drivers. Depending on the airs I have, By 10:30 I could have 7 stops or 30. If I drive around for two hours doing 7 stops, at the end of the day my stops per hour are gonna be low. I'm not going to work any harder(meaning unsafe ) to make up for the lost time running my airs. The one upside is the extra miles add to the dispatch so instead of doing normally 130 miles I would be in the 160 range. and Upstate I agree that stops per hour does have a direct relation to safety.
A driver had an accident the other week and we got the old "We want you to drive safely but that should affect you production". I get paid by the hour not the stops per hour, so if there is a problem with that they can come show me how it's done. There my rant is done, this is one subject that I will not compromise on and that is safety verse getting more work per hour. There is only one way to get get more work done and that is by driving irresponsible. Now I'm done

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

SPC is stops per car, not SPORH, which is stops per on road hour. UPS is increasing SPC in the hopes that it will increase SPORH, which, in some cases, it does because drivers feel "forced" to skip their lunches and/or breaks or take other short cuts in order to be under 9.5. My point was at what point does it become too much.

Overpaid Union Thug

This company is slowly being flushed down the toilet by management. I like to call them "The Spreadsheet Brigade" because that is how UPS is being managed these days. The S in UPS no longer stands for Service. It stands for Spreadsheet. We've got a bunch of career minded jerks more worried about how good us drivers can make them look on these spreadsheets by upping stops per car and SPORH than they are service. Them, along with IE measuring everything from AM time to how many ARS packages are scanned under "SpcCnts", are making things rough out there.....ON SPREADSHEETS! The best thing us drivers can do is ignore it and just do our jobs by following as many of the methods as we can. Let The Spreadsheet Brigade worry about the numbers.

tracker2762

That's why I metioned the sporh because in a way the sporh are related to spc. They can increase the spc all they want but if they want me in before 9.5 it's not going to happen. I'ii stay out delivering as long as it takes, my evenings are all open and my wife is really understanding about this. We let them know everyday at 3:00 if we will get back work. It becomes to much when you knowingly put yourself and the public at risk to deliver a tee shirt.

SWORDFISH

I do not agree with raising the SPC however, we have done the same thing 23 years in a row. I guess the only thing you and I can do is make the best of a bad situation. I go home early - you stick it to the company....

+1........... That is the only thing that we can do until or if the madness ever stops. The pigs just below the CEO are trying to impress him by implementing these things that management/drivers cannot possibly produce. Those people dont have to make it happen they just sit their and demand unrealistic stuff or heads will role.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Dragon, are you at least willing to concede that there will be a point to where SPC can no longer be raised without adversely affecting the health of our drivers and perhaps the safety of the general public? I may not be using this in the proper context but wouldn't the concept of diminishing returns have to come in to play at some point?

Upstate I do not agree with raising the SPC it wears everyone out - hourly and management. Where we get into trouble is we planned 50 routes at 101 SPC and because the work did not come in we now must run 48 routes to get to 101 SPC. More work + less drivers = profit . No matter what job you work at, whether at UPS or any other Company, your just not as effective/attentive at 8pm vs 8am to 6pm.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Upstate I do not agree with raising the SPC it wears everyone out - hourly and management. Where we get into trouble is we planned 50 routes at 101 SPC and because the work did not come in we now must run 48 routes to get to 101 SPC. More work + less drivers = profit . No matter what job you work at, whether at UPS or any other Company, your just not as effective/attentive at 8pm vs 8am to 6pm.

I sure wish those at the top would listen to your words. :knockedout:

thessalonian13

In our center they messed with our numbers... 8 months ago I used to scratch my route with 95 stops, my pick ups and in by 7pm and be 50 to 100 clicks under. Now, the same amount of work and all of a sudden I am between 100 and 150 clicks over. HHHMMMMMMMM Something smells fishy here.

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, and then you get tallked to for running so many minutes/hours over. You can't win. If you come in under, they put more stops on you. If you run the route the way you have for awhile with no management complaints, now you are over. Whatever.

Re-Raise

More work + less drivers = profit .

The only equation that management and our wonderful IE dept seems to know.

How about ....((Package Volume + Quality Service) / Drivers)) - $$ Wasted on Management Salaries and IE Department Guesses = whatever profit we can generate as a company in spite of them.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In our center they messed with our numbers... 8 months ago I used to scratch my route with 95 stops, my pick ups and in by 7pm and be 50 to 100 clicks under. Now, the same amount of work and all of a sudden I am between 100 and 150 clicks over. HHHMMMMMMMM Something smells fishy here.

this has been happening for a few years now...even some of the management have said its wrong but not much they can do about it. If they cant get the volume up then the second best thing to do is lie about the numbers and change them just because of a new virtual time study.ooooh awwwww. guess what you lost an hour, now they can harass you, did you go slower...nope, did you change anything....no...its just used as a tool, unfortunately people are getting hurt trying to keep up...its not worth hurting your back so your out on comp, or even worst hurt so bad you cant do any physical job anywhere...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yeah, and then you get tallked to for running so many minutes/hours over. You can't win. If you come in under, they put more stops on you. If you run the route the way you have for awhile with no management complaints, now you are over. Whatever.

That word sure has been popping up alot around the world of ups lately!!