Why do trailers lean back?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Too much wasted space.
Doesn't anyone use the interlock methods anymore ?
The vetting process at ups has been lacking for lack of a better term. That or they just do not care. I see a lot of columns and that causes walls to fall while loading. Like I said before either the loader doesn’t care or they haven’t experienced a wall falling on them yet, lol.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Many years ago, all loads leaving WATMA were shipped TOFC.
The meant every load was loaded onto a railroad flatcar.
Be means of a giant front end loader, that picked up the whole trailer, tilted it back and then placed in on the flatcar.
We were getting so many complaints that we started taking pictures of every load, to prove it was done right.
The only way to halt the complaints was to spend the time to lock every load in tight.
I even placed smaller parcels at the top of each wall, forcing the top outer skin of the trailer to buckled outwards.

Nah
Even a good loader can’t fill in every gap, over 52 feet it adds up
Failure to fill in a gap here and there doesn't result in leaning like that. That would be failure to fill in all gaps, failure to lock in walls on the sides and on the ceiling, failure to keep heavy packages on bottom and lighter packages on top, and failure to pull a small package out of a bag every once ina while to fill in holes.