Why doesnt the DIAD make a beep

It used to be we had a pickup log printed on paper and relied on the Brainomatic 1000 to interpret when was the best time to make them as efficiently as possible while still keeping the customers happy. Then some desk jockey with a diploma decided he knew better than the trained monkey who did the route every day and came up with all the neat technology that flawlessly tells them how to do everything but wipe their bottom,except when the technology fails.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
ehhh...good call, i'll just assume it is management...lol.

no, this one was for the wife and she needed confirmation it was picked up because it is for a huge RFP - it is going to the united nations (what a cool route that must be). it was picked up and I got a pickup scan from the box she ended up taking it.

nice work on the customer service...not one customer has ever left because of the drivers :) keep it up and thanks.

A beeping diad would be counter productive...A better solution would be to install an ear-piercing alarm inside the office that would sound 30 minutes before each and every pick up from all the cut routes. This should serve as a reminder to the supervisors that they forgot to assign the pick ups. Over time, they may eventually learn to assign the pick ups first thing in the morning..instead of getting reamed the next day in the conference call:happy-very:

City Driver

maybe sales people should have telematics

voice recording so anytime they dont say please or thank you puts a blip on the screen

must keep all phone calls to under 2 minutes

must sell atleast 20 services per hour

5 seconds are allowed for dialing, 7 seconds if it is long distance

etc

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

voice recording so anytime they dont say please or thank you puts a blip on the screen

etc

I really think City is on to something here.

Face to face sales meetings with potential customers limited to 12 seconds.

Must make a loud beeping noise when back-pedaling.

They would have to recite, word for word, dozens of sales slogans every morning.

Sales leads would be sent to them immediately via the SIAD (sales DIAD). Then they would have one hour to make the sale.

Failure to complete SFU's (sales follow ups) on unsold sales leads would be "investigated by the FBI".

On the hook, financially, for any customer who bounces a check for the services they sold.

They should be issued suits made by Twin Hill.

:wink2::happy-very::peaceful:

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I really think City is on to something here.

They should be issued suits made by Twin Hill.

:wink2::happy-very::peaceful:

Our pitch phrase needs to be changed to reflect our image:

"What can Brown, green and/or tan do for you?"

On a side note to the Uniforms: I think IE got involved in the sizing so as to cut costs....Make a size 36 only using the amount of material for a size 34:wink2:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender

etc

we do, smart guy. we use something called TEAMs where we have to log in every visit of everyday. who we talked to, what we talked about, how did we help the sale. We have minimum numbers of in person time and opportuntity time that you will get your ass chewed if you dont hit. they also just gave us blackberrys where the rumor is they all have GPS in them so we can be tracked.

and if we were deliverying packages, i could see your point about the seconds for each visit - but we are not and you will never understand - there are other jobs at UPS than delivering packages. :greedy:

i also thing each package car loader should have to scan each package as they are being put on the truck to eliminate misloads and give a true "out for delivery" scan....but what do I know.

Ms.PacMan

UPS has the scanners to scan every package as it is being loaded - at every airport.

The scanners hang on a line overhead between the belt and the package cars and each air package label is waved under the scanner and scanned as it is loaded in the car that take the air to the center.

For whatever reason (expense, time allowance for pre-load) UPS chooses not to do this with packages going out for delivery.

Both sorts also have finger scanners that could be used for this purpose.

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
DO IT!!! I wanna know what happens...LMFAO

I'm gonna try it on Monday, I think there's a way I can get away with it without being fired:anxious:

A beeping diad would be counter productive...A better solution would be to install an ear-piercing alarm inside the office that would sound 30 minutes before each and every pick up from all the cut routes. This should serve as a reminder to the supervisors that they forgot to assign the pick ups. Over time, they may eventually learn to assign the pick ups first thing in the morning..instead of getting reamed the next day in the conference call:happy-very:
Now that is a brilliant idea! Since it will never be implemented I have found an alternative: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/b278/

I have already ordered one and will begin field trials once it arrives...

BrownArmy

i also thing (sic) each package car loader should have to scan each package as they are being put on the truck to eliminate misloads and give a true "out for delivery" scan....but what do I know.

I understand that eliminating misloads is a priority, but having the loaders scan each package as they load it into the package cars???

I'm pretty sure the loaders are way to busy loading the PC's and don't have time to start scanning 'EACH PACKAGE AS THEY ARE BEING PUT ON THE TRUCK'.

Full disclosure: I've never been a loader, and you clearly haven't either, but I know for d@#m sure that the loaders are doing their level best to deal with the endless stream of pkgs coming down the belt, plus that air-raid klaxon thing going off all the time, and the sups yelling at them for whatever, loading two or three trucks at a time, etc.etc.etc..

And you want them to scan 'EACH PACKAGE AS THEY ARE BEING PUT ON THE TRUCK'?

Unless UPS wants to spring for some as-of-yet uninvented technology like full retinal/pupil implants that will scan and log every package the loader looks at, or some RFID bully-bull (a chip in every package and a chip-reader on every loader's wrist), what you're hinting at is logistically improbable and possibly counter-productive.

The (whatever)% of misloads are a problem, no doubt, but why don't we spend another dollar to save that dime?

browniehound

it would let you know in case you forgot to pick it up. it is probably a part time air cover driver and missing drop boxes are a great way to piss off multiple customers. I know, missing is the exception, but seriously, I hope this gives you insight into the crap I have to deal with everyday WHILE making sales.

i know about the letter code and everything there is about a drop box, i just don't know why our diads boards dont have a "stop complete" button for daily pickups. these are our most crucial customers.

and I did light up my center team because they eliminated a route that had a late air sweep for a big win from fedex...that we missed the late pickup 5 times. i wont tell you what that service recovery is going to cost UPS. we got the route back...so I saved a job.

edit: with all our technology, we shouldnt "forget" to do anything.

Salesguy,
I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful when I say this. Its my opinion that you're ignorant. From reading your post, its my opinion that you have no clue about what the driver can do to service the customers that you are trying to win business from.

Alert in the DIAD in case we forget to make a pick-up??? I do the same pick-ups everyday. Something would go off in my head that I missed something before going off on your DIAD.

In ten years, I have not heard of one instance in which a driver forgot to make one of his daily pick-ups. It just doesn't happen. And to waste technology and labor time in over-riding the alert is just not logical.

10damon

sales guy, you really should try to put yourself in a drivers shoes and then you would realize how ignorant your post is!

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
i am forced to put myself if the customers shoes when we miss the pickup. yes, it is not a big problem for the daily pickups, it is more of a problem with the drop boxes.

and as far as the loader comment - this is nothing more then a tool to help increase accuracy. yes, we would spend the money to come up with an efficient technology (see hand scanners) to make it work. imagine the impact on our tracking and tracing system if we had that data?

and would it suprise you to know that fedex express DOES scan 95% of their packages when being put on the truck? (or so I am told by my customers)

and as far as the ignorant comment - what the hell makes any of my posts (in this thread) ignorant? I asked a question?

and YES i have loaded trucks before...thanks for playing.

705red

Browncafe Steward
ehhh...good call, i'll just assume it is management...lol.

no, this one was for the wife and she needed confirmation it was picked up because it is for a huge RFP - it is going to the united nations (what a cool route that must be). it was picked up and I got a pickup scan from the box she ended up taking it.

nice work on the customer service...not one customer has ever left because of the drivers :) keep it up and thanks.

Sounds like your having a hard time pleasing your wife?:happy2:
Would you like to borrow a pair of browns?:surprised:

we do, smart guy. we use something called TEAMs where we have to log in every visit of everyday. .
You mean like lead not sold? Cant make decision locally? Customer not ready to commit?