Why don't package cars have back-up sirens

Luke Thighrocker

I think people pay more attention to a backing up beeping than a horn blowing. They know beeping means somebody is backing, while a blowing horn may just mean somebody is being a jackass. All package cars should come with them.

A/C too. All package cars should with reverse beeps and a/c.

Returntosender

Costs. Money for the equipment, money for the labor/installation, money for the maintenance, money for keep replacement parts in stock x 150,000 package cars.

BostonBo

Costs. Money for the equipment, money for the labor/installation, money for the maintenance, money for keep replacement parts in stock x 150,000 package cars.
They paid for fobs to get rid of keys. They paid for cameras and monitors. They paid for telematics. Why not do everything in their power to keep us and the public safe?

oldngray

nowhere special
Those back up beepers are not more safe is the thing. A driver has more situational awareness and control of the situation when he uses the horn instead.

BostonBo

Those back up beepers are not more safe is the thing. A driver has more situational awareness and control of the situation when he uses the horn instead.
A driver can and should still use the horn. A beeper is just another tool we should have to alert the public that we are backing up. Beeper + horn + big brown package car = get the hell out of the way.

Gear

Parts on Order
I can see the write ups now.
My back up beeper is to loud.
My back up beeper isnt loud enough.

The regular driver will go on vacation and the cover driver will write it up for not being loud. I'll replace the beeper. Then the regular driver comes back and gets mad that his beeper is louder. Now he's writing it up for being to loud.

Plus it wont be a back up beeper or back up alarm. UPS will come up with some ridiculous name, like everything else. Maybe something dumb like, automated warning system.