Why has part time starting pay not increased in decades?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Health care will be next to go for part-timers as prices keep skyrocketing. The high PT turnover rate will keep a nice flow of initiation cash coming in to the union. Part timers don't vote, so it's your own fault.
Part timers support full timers healthcare. It's much cheaper to insure a 20 something than a 55 year old driver.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
UPS will not make a profit during Xmas season if it was paying every new hire $15/hr. It is what it is, and if you can get your foot in the door and gut it out, the pay and benefits are worth it.

Some areas have long waits for full time employment but I see many Part-timers in my building who are happy making $20+/hr for 4 hours a day and getting the best union benefits in the business. They have no desire to go full time.

Yes they would, they damn would! I worked for this company that pays their seasonals the same as their permanent workers ($14), and gave us a lot of overtime and pizza parties and etc. They even told us that they are doing really well, and thanked us. And UPS is more than 100 times the size of that company.

wilberforce15

The OP asks the wrong question. The question isn't why starting pay hasn't increased.

The question is why starting pay has been cut by more than 50% over decades. I'd need more than a decade of seniority to get what many of you made on your first day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Part timers support full timers healthcare. It's much cheaper to insure a 20 something than a 55 year old driver.

So, you are saying our insurance costs would not be lower if there were no premiums paid for part time? I find that hard to believe but I'm no insurance expert.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So, you are saying our insurance costs would not be lower if there were no premiums paid for part time? I find that hard to believe but I'm no insurance expert.
There is no way FT costs go down if part timers didn't have insurance. You don't need to be an insurance expert. Just understand simple economics.

What makes you think they would?